[CPT] Academy

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

[CPT] Academy

Post by IvanMorve »

Axl wrote:6. Academy(CR1) (Iru's tileset)
6.a Outline
6.b All the rest depends on the outline
i wrote:Fortress surrounded by mountain and cliff
tiles already done:
block wall: http://mruk.files.wordpress.com/2008/10 ... s-0043.png
street and pavements: http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=5296
tower outline: http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=4376

The academy is the area where we have the most material and almost no information. (or maybe it's me, and a nice summary of all the info posted here and there may be nice)

A little description or some concepts art could be useful for gfx development.

Axl? Iru?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [CPT] Academy

Post by Bertram »

Rotonen? John P? Anyone?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Agree with the concepts, but there is no further blueprints or concepts for the academy as you can see in the map is just a empty space, so feel free to create a proposal.

I personally admire you effort, please keep the work.

Regards
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I have always felt that the walls and street should be saved for Port City in CR1, along with other parts that are going into the island.

Given that perspective, I could definitely imagine the 'new building' as a huge single story building with a large court yard (or court yards) on well maintained dirt and grass, perhaps with more of a religious background than "Keshlam's Academy". This way, the academy could tie in better with the backstory, the soul menhir, and mana in general.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

John P wrote:I have always felt that the walls and street should be saved for Port City in CR1, along with other parts that are going into the island.

Given that perspective, I could definitely imagine the 'new building' as a huge single story building with a large court yard (or court yards) on well maintained dirt and grass, perhaps with more of a religious background than "Keshlam's Academy". This way, the academy could tie in better with the backstory, the soul menhir, and mana in general.
I had an idea about the backstory here that nicely explains why the villagers don't like the academy and it's students/professors/.... The island used to be a small country, with what is now the academy the castle of it's rulers. They were fair and well loved by the people. Keshlam's army came and took over, killing the well-loved royal family and using the castle to train for the army (or whatever). The villagers are still rather mad about it, but won't do anything open due to fear of what Keshlam's army would do.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Rather than an army coming and taking over, perhaps the academics used to care for the villagers of the island (and anyone could become an academic were they so interested), but as time went by they became slightly more controlling, until rather than caring for the island they ruled it, though perhaps not in an obvious way. Eventually they turned the ruling of the island over to - Keshlam? Who is he/where is that?

The soldiers of Keshlam came straight to the island and built a number of outposts there. The soldiers treat the villagers (but not the academics) cruelly, taking food and beating them and generally being beastly. The academics didn't realise this would happen, and feel guilty for doing what they did, but the villagers won't listen to them and are furious with them.

Much the same as Jax's, only the academics turned the island over to Keshlam and then felt bad about it.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Thanks for your comments.

So: summary + my proposal:
Academy could be an old monastery turned into a fortress by Keslham/ whatever army.
-save the iru's tileset (block wall and pavement) for port city* (need his agreement, or his counter proposal)
-fortified monastery (include church, cloister, barracks, iru's tower, school, court yard... maybe forge and stuff like that, surrounded by wall/cliffs) with the "new building" style.

*to avoid confusion, I will use "port city" for the big city in CR2, and "village" the little port in CR1
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I like the proposal, but remember the biggest building should be the school not the other way around, mainly school and any other building that fits the space, Also you are adding too many concepts at once, Monastery - Fortress - Academy and - Barracks ??
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

AxlTrozz wrote:Monastery - Fortress - Academy and - Barracks ??
It can be all at once. Or at different points in time.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I agree that there might be too much going on in that list. Do you want to downplay Keshlam's reinforcement of the school? It doesn't have to be so fortified: it could be less castle/fortress and more school.

This fits more of a university type setting -- the scholars get funding to do whatever they do (research, study), but they must also train/educate people (in a pro-Keshlam environment).

If you like this concept, we might not need a wall at all. The mountains could provide the "protection", and furthermore the school could be arranged inward with one gateway into the court yard, and all doors facing the main courtyard (the building itself would be the outer wall).

I think a small outdoor-style forge would be an awesome addition to be placed along the side wall.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

well, the wall can be justified easly like any old fashion academy, in fact I attended to a High School with huge fortified walls and was not a Fortress or castle before.

Is not the wall but the many concepts one on top of the other what I think is too heavy for the Academy backstory.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

forgot what I ve said.
I won't disturb the academy design anymore, and let Iru finish his tileset as it was planned before.