[WIP] Village building (and more)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: new building

Post by Bertram »

Hi IvanMorve,

Don't take my words for Pristine truth, but if I remember correctly, we wanted more a small town look and feel, than a modern city.

Then, yes, the streets, and pavement are maybe misfitting a bit. AxlTrozz made some grass and sand tiles, and I just thought the town ground would look like more grassy and more like raw ground than street pavements everywhere.

What if we try a mix of pavement and grass with your tileset is what I'd like to map and try now ;)

I hope Rotonen will have further words upon this.

Best regards.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Re: [PAUSED] new building

Post by IvanMorve »

[edit]
Last edited by IvanMorve on 24 Apr 2010, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [PAUSED] new building

Post by Rotonen »

I was in the belief this was for the more official buildings of the village on the island.

I was also in the belief that AxlTrozz is in control of who is working on what and what should be worked on, since he has been put in charge of "tilesets and mapping of CR1".
This message used to be meaningful.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] new building

Post by AxlTrozz »

we need to add some shadows to give a better look :
ivanvillage.png
ivanvillage.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
EDIT : to clarify the confusion :

This tileset belong to the Main Village and is to build houses, small shops, library, armory, the park

The Academy will be build based on Iru's tileset
The Docks are still in progress
The Cliffs, grass and beach add-ons are in progress
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

too lazy to post some clean image, here is just one big sheet:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4116 ... crap05.png

-fixed some little things
-added some shadows
-the tiles considered as "done" are in the black square (actually all the tiles for a common building)

Working on:
-the 45° walls: walls are not a problem, but roof! uhgg!! Hard to draw + they will be a real pain for mapper, almost unusable. A solution may be a flat roof for this part, as a terrace or something like this. Any help for fixing is warmly welcome.

-ground pavements : (first try), theses outlines may be good, but I have still some problems with textures and color (I didn't find a color who fit with the building)

Any advices are welcome.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

quick ground tiles test:
nothing to say about the Axl tiles (hum... maybe the grass will be a little bit redundant and/or grid visible)

to do (for the pavement):
-alternate tiles
-transition to sand/grass
-maybe lighting some outline, to look less cluttered
-(add your suggestion here)

Now I feel that this building is too shiny :roll:

[edit]
updated version but still far from finished:
Last edited by IvanMorve on 29 Apr 2010, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

In fact I'm thinking on use Saphy's grass art with this tileset I'll post it as soon I have something
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Is that possible/ mappable ?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

IvanMorve wrote:Is that possible/ mappable ?
AFAIK yes is possible, with TMW server we can have multiple layers with their own collision. But I could be wrong. The only detail is that under that design the player in the back can't walk out where the player at front is because the collision includes both tiles at the side of the column.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

You will need a back tile and a column sprite, if you use a tile which includes the back and the column it isn't possible.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is already possible by using oversized tiles. Define a tileset with a tile height of two, three or more tiles. A character standing on the same tile will be drawn above it, a character standing on the tile north of it will be drawn beneath it.

The technique is already used for the high grass and the wheat on the woodland maps.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

oO mea culpa
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

And trees...

One thing though, that image has the note: "No collision". If you don't have collision at the base of the column it will look extremely weird when the character walks through it.

You could, however, move the column into the centre of the tile fairly easily.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you have a thin object which is supposed to block a whole tile it looks best when you place it in the lower center of the tile, because this is the point where the player is standing.

We are, of course, dreaming of pixel-based collision tiles, but I don't see this comming in the near future.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Matt wrote:You will need a back tile and a column sprite, if you use a tile which includes the back and the column it isn't possible.
Sorry, I've said it badly. I was not thinking about a background and a column in the same tile.
poison_ivy wrote: One thing though, that image has the note: "No collision". If you don't have collision at the base of the column it will look extremely weird when the character walks through it.
You could, however, move the column into the centre of the tile fairly easily.
That's what I tried to avoid:

Crush wrote:This is already possible by using oversized tiles. Define a tileset with a tile height of two, three or more tiles. A character standing on the same tile will be drawn above it, a character standing on the tile north of it will be drawn beneath it.The technique is already used for the high grass and the wheat on the woodland maps.
So, this is possible, but only if the player is restricted in the 32x32 grid. If I remember correctly there is a pixel precision for players movement planned (? in development? done? I didn't remember correctly?)
I will probably choose the easy (less challenging) way: draw columns in the center of tiles, with a collision at the base.

[edit]
damn! player can walk diagonally. I forget this.