[CPT] Village

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

[CPT] Village

Post by IvanMorve »

firsts shots:
to do list: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 207#p77207
back story: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 517#p81517
port district: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =30&t=4719

Trying to recycle my obsolete " new building", I was wondering if it could fit in the village.
In a poor village, It could be use for "officials" building ( town hall …) (assuming the the village is big enough). Or as ordinary houses for a richer or cleaner village.

More info about the general design of this village will not hurt.

A little description or some concepts art could be useful for gfx development.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [CPT] Village

Post by Bertram »

Rotonen? John P? Anyone?
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Rich-folk beach-front housing on the island sounds like a good plan.

However, I wish for port city to be more Mediterranean; whites and blues.

But as I've said, this is why I wait for more art before I write any back story (which can easily be negated by new/different/unaccommodating art). You make what is pretty to you; get an image in your head, put the pieces together, and we can make up a good story explaining why the city looks the way it does.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

John P. , it sounds like a loop, ** backstory - Concept Art - Graphics Dev. ** please do the backstory and break the loop, we always are waiting for the backstory to start creating art and concepts.

Regards
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Well, the academy just became an old monastery. C'est la vie. :wink:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

John P wrote:Well, the academy just became an old monastery. C'est la vie. :wink:
At least I'm not able to keep track of what is what anymore at this pace of changes. I'm not too confident in the process having control over itself here.
This message used to be meaningful.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I thought there already was a vision; castle style academy with the influence of Byzantine architecture on the island.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =24&t=8776
And a cheap, poor village (to the artist's vision).

However, I'm not about to stifle our badass artist's creativity. All I am saying is I would rather rework the story slightly to match the awesome art. More often than not, whatever story is created is discarded because the artist has his own vision. For this reason, I am not going to waste time going into great detail just to have to change it again later.

In fact, the whole point of this thread (and its sister thread, CPT Academy) was Ivan's proposal that the story be altered to fit his building. Had I created a whole village and academy story as I picture it, this thread would still have popped up, and I would have had to change the story (again, because I personally would rather use this great stuff than critique it for not fitting my vision).

If everyone would rather try again for a more castle-looking building to match the stone, that's great, too. Another option (instead of altering the story) is to create another upscale set of walls and ground tiles to match Ivan's building. It's nice, though, that the story is not so established that it isn't hard to imagine a story to follow the art.

Possibly we need more concept art, which might be incredibly beneficial, but not something I am capable of.

Thanks
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Sorry for all theses toes stepping.
John P wrote:In fact, the whole point of this thread (and its sister thread, CPT Academy) was Ivan's proposal that the story be altered to fit his building.
hummmmm.... that's true.

My problem is that I didn't have this artist's powerful talent called "creativity".
Actually, I'm not a pixel artist but more something like a pixel maker (damn english limitation)
=>I would rater work with a solid concept

Here is the point of theses topics:
John P wrote:Possibly we need more concept art, which might be incredibly beneficial
that can explain the [CPT] tag.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actively going about and recruiting people to help with sketching is not a bad idea.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I can create some concepts, based on what we have now,

1. Is a fortress
2. Is an Academy
3. maybe be a monastery in the past
3. has a wall around

I'll start throwing concepts made by hand and you can pick if you like one. Also we can combine an create new concepts based on ideas you can have.

I'll be on IRC during the weekend to see if we can have a more active communication.

I'll start a new thread for all the sketches and drafts so we can use it as a reference only, because I'll put all kind of ideas there and any other pixel artist, pixel worker or maker can join me please.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

What about images found online as concept?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Inspiration is inspiration is inspiration.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

new thread just for draws, proposal, concepts, whatever...

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 30&t=10631