Player-set

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Player-set

Post by Rotonen »

He's an outliner not familiar with the technology involved. I've not stated at any point that the work presented here would be usable as is. I have hopes he'll eventually bother to learn GIMP and how layers and transparency work. So far he has stated he is not interested and that "it takes too long to load up GIMP on his computer".

So from my point of view, this is in fact a progressing subproject: something is getting designed and someone is posting steady updates on it. And there is even sprite shape recycling, so we would not kill our equipment artists.

Bcs offered to fix the sprite afterwards into a usable format, but we'll see how that one turns out. Also BlackDon has offered to fix up existing equipment to the complete spritesheet, but I do not know if that offer is still standing.

Why the sudden interest by a lot of people in the playerset? Want to help? Do so. Let your desire to get this finally done come out right instead of lashing out in a hostile fashion.

Also, no one has responded to my answer to the four frame slow-in slow-out cycle and my personal opinion still stands: a slow-in three frame cycle with an emulated slow-out by just leaving the last frame hanging should work quite well with motion trailing the weapon swing. It's not discussion unless we actually talk to each other.
This message used to be meaningful.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

I can redo this, make all the sprites look perfectly good and use as much frames as it's used on 1st sprite sheet.. (4 sprites per animation x 3 views = 12 sprites, bow has 5 sprites x 3 views = 15 sprites)
But as I see, TMW doesn't have much equipment, artists are really slow at making anything. I wonder who would make equipment for the sprite sheet you want me to do, sprite sheet that would contain 168 sprites I believe.

Do you want the sprite sheet to have 168 sprites or no?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi there,

Just counting a bit ;)

About player-set animation, we have now:
- Standing (neutral form): 1 frame x 3 positions. (The right position can be the left one swapped.)
- Walking: 7 frames x 3 positions (Same reason as above.)
- Sitting: 1 frame x 3 positions.
- Dead: 1 frame (as for now)
- Attack with fist/dagger: 4 frames x 4 positions. (A right-handed character cannot become left-handed depending on its attacking direction. So the fourth positions are needed.)
- Attack with bow: 5 frames x 4 positions (Same reason as above).

New ones:
- Two-handed sword attack: 3 frames x 3 positions (This is independent of the directive hand of the character.)
- One-handed sword + shield attack: 3 frames x 4 positions. (4 positions for same reason as attack with fist.)
- Spell casting: 3 frames x 3 positions.
- Long stick attack: 3 frames x 4 positions.

We've got a total of 106 frames for the male playerset, if I correctly counted them, (the super slash attack apart.).
When taking the female playerset into account, it gives a value of 212 frames.

As for equipment pixelization, I guess that some frames can be reused, but the actual work is indeed still important.

Such amount of frames cannot be magically avoided without testing the split of the legs, torso, arms, and the head, for instance.
I propose then to start a different count:
Maybe a pixel artist could help us counting how many different:
- legs + feet
- torso
- arms (beware of torso placement)
- and head positions (s)he can see within all these actions for the male and female playersets ?

As a side-node: we've got also other fixes needed related to the player-set:
- The player set orientation doesn't fit the top-down 45° view angle: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment.
- Should the slash attack be included?

Best regards.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Maybe we should delete some sprites from old sprite sheet make every animation have 3 sprites or something..
and make less sprites per animation, and maybe less animations
-we can use 1 animation for sword and sword with shield swing
-we can use 1 animation for poles and 2 handed sword swing

Having 100 sprites is too much..
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Retouching old sprites to fit the new scheme is not out of the question.

Even redoing completely from scratch is on the table as an option, as long as we get a playerset to proceed with.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Sprite sheet
player_male_base2.png
TODO (maybe): testing, alignment, smoothing, shading, and touch-ups. Repeat with female sheet.

Row1: 2-handed attacks front&back
Row2: 2-handed attacks L&R
Row3: 1-handed attack + sheild front&back
Row4: 1-handed attack + sheild L&R
Row5: magic f&b
Row6: magic l&r
Row7: polearm f&b
Row8: polearm l&(flipme)
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Why?
Attachments
magicarms.PNG
magicarms.PNG (30.18 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Everyone knows that if you don't stretch before casting magic you might pull something...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously I think that bit of the magic casting animation does seem a little extraneous.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

You prepare in a prayer pose and then extravagantly release your energy. I see no problem in this animation cycle done hand in hand with clever particle effects.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I think he's referring to the part where the north and south views show the arms up, while east and west appear to show them down.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

will the players hair turn gold in the process?
goku_ssj.gif
goku_ssj.gif (8.47 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
:P
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

That is indeed a logical issue which needs to be addressed.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I don't see a problem with that. Heck the sitting pose changes depending on if its a side front or back view.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You seem to be mixing two different eye styles. Although I prefer the way the eyes look on the sprites which are ingame at the moment I would not oppose the change, but please try to be consistent.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The biggest standing issue is still the "weapon with a stick" animation or am I mistaken and we're not going to go with a three frame animation scheme? For consistency and effort saving we could make everything into the three frame scheme.