[DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

saturn
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Post by saturn »

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... _sketches/

Two new dungeon sketches. Both of them would need lots of production work (one would need to be re-recorded, the other is using outdated midi sounds). One is more mellow, the other is less mellow. Both can be made to loop really well. Let me know what you think.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Reminds me of some of the RO dungeon music renditions. Although the composition here is original, unlike the somewhat brilliant arrangement work in the RO soundtrack.

The second one also somewhat reminds me of Diablo soundtracks.

So yes, should be really nice for dungeon grindfests.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't know, I think it lacks the speed and aggression of a good fight music.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

IMO fits in an exploratory cave. Not a cave where you'd have an overflow of aggressive monsters. CR1 would more likely have the first.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I love the first one so far (+cool variations on second part of the track.)

Indeed, these two music files could be used for exploration (low level dungeons) which fits perfectly the CR1 target.
The second track which is more calm could be used for the dungeon entrance and beginnings, and the first one for the last dungeon rooms (where monsters could be a bit more aggressive.)

I still join Crush point of view about a speedy music track, which could be used for the boss.

Regards.
krazyjakee
Peon
Peon

Post by krazyjakee »

This is my stab at a dungeon track. Kinda creepy but cute too. Reminds me of windwaker.

Code: Select all

http://www.last.fm/music/jigwolf/The+Mana+World+1/Dungeon+1
OR

Code: Select all

http://filebin.ca/vavy/dungeon.ogg
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I will give it a listen when I get home (at work).

Do we know how many, and what type of dungeon will be in CR1? My sketches were inspired by mellow-ish dungeons, like in Zelda (little combat), could there be separate music for battles in dungeons? Definitely separate boss music is a must.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

That track is very nice. When I downloaded the ogg, it seemed to be 1:10 (length), but the end seemed to cut off abruptly (I really liked the brass section coming in near the end). So I think it should be longer, and I'd like to hear more of the brass (but it may just not be the whole file, or all finished).

It definitely has a very ominous feel - kind of like a "final dungeon" song. Depending on what all there will be in the way of dungeons for CR1, it'd make a great addition.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... ch_1.1.mp3

<- port music. My inspiration was Wind Waker ocean music. It's a really nice port feel to me, like the epic ocean is out there and waiting for you to adventure. The mix is horribly off-balance, nothing is produced well, but the basic melody, structure, harmony, etc are there. Please critique it compositionally, while I go back to tweak the mixing, and then some critique on orchestration would be great. I really like the feel, but let me know if it's "too optimistic" or something XD
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The main rhythm could be in general a bit less dominant.

The section starting at about 2:25 should be expanded upon. A gentler section in there might help.

Still, we're going to have one heck of a soundtrack for CR1 at this rate. Good job so far! :)
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Without worrying about the intro and outro sections as they are right now, here are the two main middle parts:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... ce_1.1.mp3

I'd like help balancing the instruments - that will help me fix the outro part too. Currently I have:

Horn ensemble - playing that main melody
Violin section - playing 2-3 note chords
Violin section - playing counter-melody
Flute section - playing counter-melody
Cello section - playing rhythm
Bass section - playing rhythm
Symbols
Bass Drum

The violin sections are the ones that seem to "muddy" it up the most. Maybe if I took the chords and spread them out over violin and viola sections it would be better? krazyjakee made some great orchestral mixes, maybe he has some advice?

Thanks,
saturn
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... rt_1.2.mp3

That's the best I can do with the mixing, for now. It'll be the current version unless I get some revelations later on.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

You should upload your stuff including your project files to the appropriate git repo.

Far too nice to lose.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

http://gitorious.org/tmw/music

<- there? Should I send an ogg + my DAW file?
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Bump