4144 features review

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Knight
Knight

Re: 4144 features review

Post by 4144 »

jaxad0127 wrote:
4144 wrote:
Bertram wrote: - hide or show chat colors picker. <- Could you give a few word about how you implemented it?
Color picker allow select default color for local player messages.
This option allow hide or show this picker in chat window.
So, what does this do? I'm a bit confused on that point.
Color picker set default chat color. This colors red, black, etc. Or set rainbow color.
Option to hide/show color picker show or hide drop down box with colors.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

How often does your client crashs anyway? I mean adding feature with so many drawbacks just in case your client crashs?
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Turmfalke wrote:How often does your client crashs anyway? I mean adding feature with so many drawbacks just in case your client crashs?
My client crashing very rarely. But some players cant use client without this feature. Players cant edit config file by hands. :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:We could use the operating systems techniques for showing a modal dialog before the game engine is initialized. I think we are already doing this when we have a fatal class log message. When the font file isn't found, for example.
We do the same for OSX. For others, it gets messy, but we could look at supporting a few standard toolkits (purely optional).
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

About the safe mode:

Crush has indeed a good idea about the exitGracefully option.

I propose this:
We should make sure that the config is loaded before the graphic engine is initialized as it is the one piece unsafe for some drivers.
Before initializing the graphic engine, if exitGracefully is false, we could show a single pop-up in SDL mode asking if the player wants to start in safe mode or not.
If yes, the game continue in SDL, if the player still wants the normal mode. The graphics engine is deinitialized and reinitialized normally with the nominal fps limit value.

If the player was already playing in SDL mode, then the game starts anyway, only dealing with fps limit value and such, based on the player choice.

About multiple clients at the same time, I guess the client has never and will never be done for that, based on config problems.
I propose this: Have the client check for another instance at start and exit if one found, explaining why to the user, or asking with the same kind of mechanism if the user wants to run a duplicate instance.
Also, we could add a --multiple-instance or --no-config-update command-line option that would load the game but don't write config options.

What do you think?

Buy/Sell in context menu:
- buy/sell in npc context menu. <- Could you give a few word about how you implemented it?
In npc context menu added buy/sell lines. it work like if select sell or buy from BuySelDialog.
And this menu items working only with shop npc. In other do nothing.
If I understand well, the buy/sell context menu is appearing on every NPC, not only shop npc. And that could lead to confusion, maybe. Or am I wrong?
Maybe we could get rid of the need of a context menu by making the buysell window able to make the player buy and sell at once. (Like with two tabs: Buy / sell). The netHandler could take of doing both transactions sequentially, by first selling items if there are any, and then buying whatever wanted?
We could even think of a transaction system doing so: Like if I sell 10 herbs, I earn 50, permitting me to buy the candy for 40GP in a row, by virtually increasing money when adding item to be sold.

Best regards.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Bertram wrote:About multiple clients at the same time, I guess the client has never and will never be done for that, based on config problems.
I propose this: Have the client check for another instance at start and exit if one found, explaining why to the user, or asking with the same kind of mechanism if the user wants to run a duplicate instance.
Also, we could add a --multiple-instance or --no-config-update command-line option that would load the game but don't write config options.
Multiple clients works fine already. When one is closed, it writes the config file. When the other is closed, it overwrites it. No issues, really.
Bertram wrote:Maybe we could get rid of the need of a context menu by making the buysell window able to make the player buy and sell at once. (Like with two tabs: Buy / sell). The netHandler could take of doing both transactions sequentially, by first selling items if there are any, and then buying whatever wanted?
We could even think of a transaction system doing so: Like if I sell 10 herbs, I earn 50, permitting me to buy the candy for 40GP in a row, by virtually increasing money when adding item to be sold.
eAthena won't be fun to change to support that.