CR1 subproject reports thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: CR1 subproject reports thread

Post by Rotonen »

So, no reports in a while. Let's see.

The music front is doing awesome, as usually. Saturn will accept all expertise and help on mastering tracks anyone can provide him, *hint hint*. No SFX work yet since there is basically nothing to do SFX for yet. Hang in there guys, we're trying to get things for you to do. At least now we have a really nice palette of things to use when appropriate. Hopefully sooner than later.

The tilesets are progressing a bit. I'm going to push people into starting rudimentary mapping with them as soon as the ground tiles are somewhat done. We're going to have a lot of empty black on the test maps, but at least we'll have something on dev.themanaworld.org, which I'd like to get set up rather soon. If Axl would be a dear and both recruit and appoint a mapper for this testing, it'd be wonderful.

The playerset, at least we've finally established a full list of animations we're going to have for it from here to eternity (speak now or forever hold your silence?). IMO nice simplistic frame reusing work by stava has been produced on the playerset using the current TMW-eA playerset as a basis. Yes, some of the frames were not really logical. Yes it'd require a lot of motion trailing for weapons and such. Yes, there is only slow-in in the animation cycles.

For the playerset, I think slow-out could be faked by intelligently just leaving the last frame there and skipping to the beginning of the attack. The brain compensates for more in situ than most people think. Am I alone with my opinion? Does anyone else see my point? Do people just discard me as any sort of an authority on animation work for this? (I've yet to have a direct response to my ideas and views in the playerset threads). IMO good enough to fool the eye without paying detailed attention to it is good enough. We need a playerset and we've lacked one for over 6 years now.

Also for the playerset, as I've said many times over, doing one from scratch is not out of the question either. We simply just need one. For this approach I'd appreciate if someone would do pen and paper sketching for all the animation work we'll need for the playerset. Volunteers? Comments? Ideas? We continue disorganization and stumbling in the dark and hoping for a miracle to fall upon us? Also this is the only way I'm recommending proceeding with a completely fresh playerset. Seriously, someone sketch it out no matter what approach we end up taking.

As for the gamesystems, we're getting somewhere. Here is especially where I'd like to have dev.themanaworld.org available for testing of things. If currently we can only walk around on it and chat, I'm fine with that. It'll be a concrete way of seeing results of doing stuff for all the involved people. Access to the server will be dictated by me.

As for level limits, I've yet to receive a comment for my proposed ugly solution: simply have a level limit for each map. After reaching that level you cannot gain any experience for battle skills on the map in question. Stupid? Yes. Works? Very effectively. Works as an encouragement to progress in the world? Very well does. Provides something unique and more powerful equipment for overachievers? Yes. Provides enough sensible content to fall back to if you find the next area too challenging? If done intelligently.

I envision the gameplay progression with this system to be: grind/quest level to max of current area -> farm enough equipment -> progress. This will also provide a somewhat meaningful item hunting endgame for each CR. This is what the current TMW-eA playerbase seems to love a lot so this would cater to our current crowd rather well.

As for reusing TMW-eA tiles, I was rather harsh and strict and after this there were no responses on the topic anymore. Did I offend people and they hence "let me play by myself in my own fantasy world"? Or are they doing that since they find my demands just plain ridiculous? Am I setting the bar too high?

I believe this is all for now, I hope someone reads and responds to at least something so we can get forward with this CR1 of ours.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:As for reusing TMW-eA tiles, I was rather harsh and strict and after this there were no responses on the topic anymore. Did I offend people and they hence "let me play by myself in my own fantasy world"? Or are they doing that since they find my demands just plain ridiculous? Am I setting the bar too high?
Fother has been cleaning them up in hopes of getting your approval for future CRs (maybe some parts for CR1).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Rotonen wrote:As for reusing TMW-eA tiles, I was rather harsh and strict and after this there were no responses on the topic anymore. Did I offend people and they hence "let me play by myself in my own fantasy world"? Or are they doing that since they find my demands just plain ridiculous? Am I setting the bar too high?
Fother has been cleaning them up in hopes of getting your approval for future CRs (maybe some parts for CR1).
I've yet to see any or to be contacted by anyone for this matter. This is the first I'm hearing about this in such detail beyond "Fother is doing something on something".
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I don't read the forums too often, and just found this - weekly-ish reports sound like a very good idea. It isn't Sunday, but I might as well mention that there is now a possible song to go with the future Port:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... rt_1.2.mp3

(eventually, I'll convert the original .wav to .ogg)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

So am I to conclude the only two currently even remotely active pixel artist for CR1 are Axl and Ivan?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Rotonen wrote:So am I to conclude the only two currently even remotely active pixel artist for CR1 are Axl and Ivan?
I had invited many myself, but all of them work just for a few hours and then left for one or other reason, any other challenge to participate is ignored or passed by.

Anyways if you are reading here and would like to contribute to the project, with pixelart, send me a PM

Regards
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Having a clearer set TODO / list of open tasks on the wiki could help. Also directing people often and everywhere to go and check this document will help.

For a tileset, a lot of tileset objects are required. Tileset helpers could dig into those while the tileset masters focus on the base tileset. If need be slightly faulty objects can be fixed before merging into the set (or just outright discarded if they're not even close to being up to standards).