Lake town

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

kalaez
Novice
Novice

Lake town

Post by kalaez »

Hello people!

I've been, along last 3 weeks, playing with tiled when had some free time by making dif. maps, houses, etc.
I had the idea of a lake town, perhaps could be near graveyard or..well, I've no idea at all, but I started to draw a bit, and I've decided to post what I'm doing here.

It's not finished, just started, got basic things of the map, but still need work.
What do you think about it? (sorry but it needs 30Mb and can't upload it on another easy direct viewer page)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UH7N9CWG
Immotev
Last edited by kalaez on 24 May 2010, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Check me on myspace/kalaezhh if like spanish hip hop
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Lake town

Post by swimmy »

I'm surprised that you made such a big map. :)
Hmm.. I think it needs more flowers and trees. Maybe you can use woodtown tileset?
And I can see some houses which is on the lake.
Also, I don't know you did or not, you need to put collision tiles on the another layer.
who was...
kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

Thanks swimmy, It's just the base, decoration like trees, dif.floor, flowers and those are not still there as you've seen.
Collision is already on it, but dissabled for the photo.
and houses is lake..I will check lol :D
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

To save me wasting my download, can you .zip up the .tmx file and attach it here?
kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

Done, I've changed the photo for the zip of the .map file ;)
and sorry, I've discovered now how to do what you said, here is it ;)
Attachments
008-1.zip
Lake town base 1
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

Uh... wall tile for the ground? Maybe there can be another way.
(I wanted to tell that in the first post, but I was not sure it was wall tile :P)
who was...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

kalaez wrote:I've been, along last 3 weeks, playing with tiled when had some free time by making dif. maps, houses, etc.
I had the idea of a lake town, perhaps could be near graveyard or..well, I've no idea at all, but I started to draw a bit, and I've decided to post what I'm doing here.
Sorry for having to disappoint you, but the chance to get a map into the game which wasn't specifically requested by the development team is pretty low.
It's not finished, just started, got basic things of the map, but still need work.
What do you think about it?
You did good work with the lake shapes, but you combined tiles which were never meant to be combined (winter town and woodland town tilesets or the awful mountain tiles which aren't used for good reason) and you used tiles in ways they were never supposed to be used (like house walls as ground tiles). This looks very weird.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

Well, there can be more capes, or only ground, fringe and top to draw? I have no idea about this, so just checked some mapes and started.
And, taking into account I do not know if there are more capes, walls on ground..they do not affect in anything image when testing in game, and then you got 1 more cape to draw, begginer mistake hehe, sorry for it ;)
Oh and last thing, almost forget it, there are quite few tilesets, that's why comvined many to can do what wanted, so with what you said, I think you need more tilesets, no?

Thanks again for comments.

OH!, again, there's any map needed? just to do not lose the time too much and at least try on something needed.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

kalaez wrote:I have no idea about this, so just checked some mapes and started.
In that case it would be a good idea to read the mapping tutorial:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial
And, taking into account I do not know if there are more capes, walls on ground..they do not affect in anything image when testing in game, and then you got 1 more cape to draw, begginer mistake hehe, sorry for it ;)
I think you mean "Layer" when you write "Capes". A while ago maps were restricted to three visible layers but now you can use an unlimited number of layers. The layer named "Fringe" is the one the sprites walk on.
OH!, again, there's any map needed? just to do not lose the time too much and at least try on something needed.
I don't know of any eA mapping projects going on but I am not very involved there at the moment so there might be a lot happening behind my back here. On the Manaserv front we will soon start mapping for the first content release but I would rather like to see a more experienced mapper here.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

mmm...I think I've cached it... hehe, lots of ideas on my mind now. will try to make them maps :D
and already saw tutorial, but do not helps a lot.
Thanks Crush, helped a lot ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

kalaez wrote:and already saw tutorial, but do not helps a lot.
Thanks Crush, helped a lot ;)
Can you please be a bit more specific about what is unclear or missing in the tutorial so that we can improve it?
  • NOT a game master

kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

Course I can, let's see, when tutorial describes the layers, basically, it just say:
1layer beneath fringe, which for example we call ground
1 layer called fringe,
and then layers over fringe.
Reading this you can undestand if you're a begginer there's 1 ground, fringe, and then all over fringe you want, and finally top.
So then happens same that happened to me, that for example, how would you put a flower over the ground but walkable over it? on fringe? Or can be a layer more between ground and fringe, that's not clear there, and checking some maps I saw only 3 basic layers + collision, so did the same on mine.
Perhaps some kind of descriptive photo of layers there could help people.
Then, Object layers and not explained, are they? Ive not seen anything about them, neither about teleports and those things, I know they exists and how to do it cause there was a comment lost around forum by someone saying it as help to Swimmy, but had only 3 basic ideas.
And, for now I don't see anything else, just those things. Hope you undestand what I say, perhaps I've nto explained well some things, sorry then ;)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

kalaez wrote:Course I can, let's see, when tutorial describes the layers, basically, it just say:
1layer beneath fringe, which for example we call ground
1 layer called fringe,
and then layers over fringe.
Reading this you can undestand if you're a begginer there's 1 ground, fringe, and then all over fringe you want, and finally top.
So then happens same that happened to me, that for example, how would you put a flower over the ground but walkable over it? on fringe? Or can be a layer more between ground and fringe, that's not clear there, and checking some maps I saw only 3 basic layers + collision, so did the same on mine.
Perhaps some kind of descriptive photo of layers there could help people.
Then, Object layers and not explained, are they? Ive not seen anything about them, neither about teleports and those things, I know they exists and how to do it cause there was a comment lost around forum by someone saying it as help to Swimmy, but had only 3 basic ideas.
And, for now I don't see anything else, just those things. Hope you undestand what I say, perhaps I've nto explained well some things, sorry then ;)
The only layers you need are fringe and collision. Everything else is completely open. You can have as many layers as you need below and/or above fringe. Collision can be anywhere.