Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Argh a finnish invasion? :lol:

Anyway I guess that if we want to add visible equipments soon the first thing to do is to recreate the base equipments we already have and we can equip in game. Kinetic should already have almost complete the leather shirt, so I guess the next one is cotton shirt.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Kinetic should already have almost complete the leather shirt, so I guess the next one is cotton shirt.
I'll colourise my shirt to cotton colour then.
By the way, didn't Kinetic do some leather armor? I think there's a big difference between a shirt and a suit of armor.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

you should keep an uncolored version of it. it would be a good template for shirts in other colors or with marks on them.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I think you're right it was a full leather armor :?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

when i want to make some other pieces of clothing, how should i do it?

should i just take the graphic talaroc posted, use it as a background layer, pixel the piece of clothing on a new layer over each sprite, and then give you the new layer without the background?
Last edited by Crush on 21 Sep 2005, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Yep :wink:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Sweet...nice job, Modanung. I love your work.

And just as a word of caution to everyone at this point: the side-walking sprites, sitting sprites, and (of course) stabbing sprites are all queued for editing right now, so if you're making clothing/equipment don't do it on those just yet. The standing ones and up and down walking ones are, however, done (I'm also willing to call the two "getting hit" sprites I've got done, depending on what people think of them).

As for the shorts...well, Elven did request white with little red hearts... :lol:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i made a template for pants. the blue pixels are those which should be covered by pants of normal length. every fashion designer will appreciate this for sure.
all you have to do now is filling the blue pixels with a color of your choice, add detail and shading, and you are done.
(you should of course do so with the spriteset as a background)

here is it on the spriteset:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The sitting frames could still use a bit retouching, IMHO.

In the near(ish) future I'd like to see:

* Punching with both fists.
* Kicks with both feet.
* 3 different swings for blade weapons (left, right, up/down).
* The playerset used in the game.

Emphasis on the last point of the list.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

don't overdo it with the number of animation phases. the more animation phases the more difficult to create all the cloth sprites.

Edit: oh, and by the way, what are the numbers with the arrows good for?

Edit2: ah, now i got it. they are placeholder for the up and down attack animation.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

don't overdo it with the number of animation phases. the more animation phases the more difficult to create all the cloth sprites.
Heh...you do realize that what I've got here represents less than a tenth of what I've got planned, yes? If I've got any say in the matter, there's going to be a lot of character sprites.

The arrow numbers are just placeholders for me for where other sprites are going.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

To be a little clearer:

Talaroc's List-O-Sprites To Make for TMW:
Standing
Sitting
Walking
Running
Flying (discussed a while ago)
Climbing
Getting hit
Dying
Dodging (for when enemies miss)
Blocking
Punching/thrust attack (both hands)
Kicking
Throwing
Two-handed throwing
Bow attack
Slashing horizontally
Slashing vertically/smashing
Two-handed weapon thrusting
Two-handed weapon slashing horizontally
Two-handed weapon slashing vertically/smashing
Whip attacking
Tired/low-HP stance
Waving
Lying down
Casting spell (got a really sweet idea for these...includes casting on self and directional/targeted casting)
Falling
Jumping

Aaand...that's all I can think of right now. All of those are going to be in all four directions, in multiple skin tones (easy to do), with both male and female sheets.

Eventually. :wink:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Forgot idle animations.. :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

ok umm i got a question *raises his hand*
First of all, regarding magic, how is it planned?

Is it conjured magic (using items to enhance and cast spells, like orbs and learning to use them is the leveling, like Fire orb to cast Flame lvl4 you need Fire mastery 4 and to cast a Fire spell you will need to ahev teh Fire orb equiped :P )

Is it verbal like memorising spells and cast them by enforcing its arcane powers with words (memorising spells from a spellbook and magic level within a element will devide what spells he can memorise and the power of spell)

I personaly like the idea of using "orbs" since i just came up with it and i got influenced by that magic chart that was shown before. Like you can use 2 orbs (one in each hand) to mix two elements into very mean spells :D or that might be another class (to use two orbs that is). Well just a bit curius in whats been decided or you got in mind (i didnt like iRO spell system so it would be awesome if we can make a new one)
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

The spell system, as it was explained to me, goes as such:

The players can visit any of the nine mana temples scattered throughout the world. In each temple there is a spirit, who can grant you magic from their domain once you complete a quest for it. You complete further quests later on to gain additional spells. When a character casts spells, they call upon and "channel" the spirit's power through them to create the spell. Players can gain the magic of as many temples as you want, but since the skill leveling system is use-based, you probably won't be very powerful in any type of magic if you grab all nine.

More info, along with the master spell list that WakkaCraft and myself came up with, can be found in the wiki at http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Magic_system, although I would caution that the game systems pages are all pretty much a jumbled mess of various people's ideas at this point, and that one in particular (there was a huge debate over the magic system a while back).