some ild stuff i found lurking around.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

some ild stuff i found lurking around.

Post by Merlin »

Here's some odd WIP's that i have around that might be of interest.

An add-on tileset to go with I's block wall tileset. Since that standard size tileset was about full and I wanted to make some things like the archway, I made an addon set. IDK if the windows "fit" well but i think they look nice. Those are ripped from free GPL tileset, but are more if a concept of what could be done for windows with that tileset. The stove is mine. idk if i got the shading right, but it's a wip. :P

This is a WIP of a new style interior, it's very rough and not done. Really I'm working on the wood textures but i think it isn't how we should portray wood exactly but think it should look "something like" it.

Just an example of the archway in use. The road and grass are not tmw, testing the color of green for grass really. I find the woodland one to bright and the swamp one kinda dingy but kinda blah. The road is from a open tileset that i believe is even used in some games. I know there's a aversion to using any non-tmw graphics, but perhaps including more would alleviate the lack of new tiles to work with. I have a rough concept for a new roof to go with the blockwall set but would like to see if anyone else makes some new roofs.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated.

-Merlin
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: some ild stuff i found lurking around.

Post by Len »

Contains some of Daniel Cook's work which I believe is licensed under CC-BY 3.0
and to my understanding is incompatible with the GPL.
http://opengameart.org/content/2d-circl ... -backupbmp
http://opengameart.org/content/2d-circl ... townwinbmp
Also note
attribution – You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
I would probably email Bart and Daniel Cook to verify its license
Last edited by Len on 18 Jun 2010, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Yes, please link to your sources.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Len wrote:Contains some of Daniel Cook's work which I believe is licensed under CC-BY 3.0
Also note
attribution – You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
I looked. It's a CC 3.0. He had it right on the page
http://www.lostgarden.com/search/label/ ... 20graphics
Looks like I'm not going to use that road there, or the grass. It wasn't meant to be used permanently. That was just one good shot of the archway used like that.
Considering the heavy modification to the interior set, it's really just a mangled copy of it. I was going to email them about using there tilesets and if they needed to approve any modifications or works based from. Then I found the statement,

"Art I no longer work as a contract artist and haven't for well over a decade. I do however provide several sets of ancient artwork intended for use by indies. These are provided as is. I will not be updating them, but you are welcome to mash them up as desired." here:http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blo ... 9876929522

SO i guess I'm free to mash them up ,but even the mashed up works would retain the cc 3.0 status.
Since it's a CC 3.0 it doesn't matter I don't think we could get them to gpl it just for our use
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:SO i guess I'm free to mash them up ,but even the mashed up works would retain the cc 3.0 status.
Since it's a CC 3.0 it doesn't matter I don't think we could get them to gpl it just for our use
CC 3.0 != GPL
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

i wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:SO i guess I'm free to mash them up ,but even the mashed up works would retain the cc 3.0 status.
CC 3.0 != GPL
MerlinX420 wrote:
Len wrote:Contains some of Daniel Cook's work which I believe is licensed under CC-BY 3.0
Also note
Okay I'm slightly confused here. Len says CC-BY 3.0 is incompatible with GPL but I says cc 3.0=GPL
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Creative Commons BY-SA might be very similar in spirit and in practice to the GPL, but that still doesn't make it compatible.

A list of licenses which are compatible with the GPL can be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-lis ... leLicenses
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

ARRR! Old Idea gone new.

I REALLY like what the interior set from this looked like and I'm attempting to make my own. Once I seen the town of Bree in Lotro it made me come back to this.
The wood texture is from this guy who tried selling me a chain-saw! ;)
(Preview mockup with woodland inside floor)
Attachments
newinside-mockup.png
newinside-mockup.png (93.34 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hi Merlin. i haven't read anything from you in a while. Nice to see you again. When you finish this tileset fast enough it could maybe be used for the Thermin update (contact Wombat for details).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

Crush wrote:Hi Merlin. i haven't read anything from you in a while. Nice to see you again. When you finish this tileset fast enough it could maybe be used for the Thermin update (contact Wombat for details).
I'm also doing tilesets (2) for thermin. not finished but them will be soon.

Lien...
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I've been out of the loop as far as actual plans for content go so idk if it's suitable for anything you have planned. If it fits into a plan somewhere they it's open for me to design it in the direction of the theme desired.

I wasn't pleased with my crummy attempt at a stone texture for the wall and color modified a version of Ivan's port town wall that I will be using instead.

The next WIP should be a start to an actual tileset.

I do have some issues with this as it is thou. I don't like the way the boards join into the north post. I am using Dan Cook's work as an example and it's pretty obvious that none of the actual pixels of his are on this. After seeing the LOTRO's buildings I just had to come back to this concept.

I still have lots of unfinished work to do. The Desert re-surface has become a bigger headache the anticipated and might take a bit still, but there's a thread about that.

I actually went back to WoW for a bit and went over the system changes pre Cata, then proceeded to bust my head in Hyjal on opening night. Reckless and Merlin are both 85 and geared enough for now. Wow is how I get my PvP fix and TMW is where I chill and work on actual RPG stuff. If I get into a game, I'm into it.

Even if I'm not around and posting I'm still working on stuff and lurking in the shadows.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Update with the start to my wood floor. (Got some griddynies to work out)
Attachments
map.png
map.png (76.29 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

The start of a more proper Sheet. I am able to create some high vaulted ceilings with the wood timbers that allow to portray a sense of depth with this set. Still a few things to work out and then I better make a 2nd sheet for the exterior set that this will need.
Attachments
merlin-newinside.png
merlin-newinside.png (142.76 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
MerlinX420