Player-set

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Player-set

Post by Crush »

I see no reason to keep the number of frames consistent between different actions or even different views of the same action. We allow this in the animation definition files for a reason.

An artist should always use the minimal number of frames necessary for an animation, not more and not less.

Forcing the artists to use a specific frame number would have a negative impact on quality without any gain. It would force them to remove necessary frames from some animations and add superfluous frames to others just to meet this requirement.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Point taken.

So, is there anything superfluous in the original frames of the playerset where we might find room for optimization?

Are we going forward with this playerset? Are we considering it done?

Status on female playerset?

Once the sprite shapes are locked down and final (not necessarily shaded to perfection yet), we can start equipment work for CR1.
This message used to be meaningful.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Do not lock-down these shapes! Much more work ahead.

I was excited and tried to put the set into my data folder and write enough XML just for the sake of seeing some new moves even if glitchy, but I became distracted figuring out how the XML works. I learned how layering is done, so now I feel like trying more things.

These frames need to go into the GIMP (featuring layers and transparency support) for onion-skinning sessions.

Earlier Len posted a GIF of a more fluid 1-handed-attack+shield motion [*]. Is there a PNG of it?

The sprite sheet I posted was just cut & paste taking out and filling back in the white. [*] [*] So if Stava is done working on them, they are not near ready. Someone would have to take up where the real work left off.

If I'm the only person left working on it, it would be more facinating to start from scratch with high hopes of doing it right from the beginning than drudging away at this set which traces its roots back to about 5 years ago by artists not active anymore who, even then, had a hard time with it. [*]

Do you think players would miss wearing viking helmets with cowboy jeans?
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

bcs86 wrote:Do you think players would miss wearing viking helmets with cowboy jeans?
I wouldn't.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The whole point of the CR approach is to avoid a situation where wearing a combo like that would make any other sense than "trying to find out the stupidest looking combination of equipment".

My offer of "the first complete usable playerset will get used" is still standing. People tend to forget that on a monthly basis, it would seem.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

I'll add that with Ivan and AxlTrozz quality work made on the village, grass, beach and dust, the current playerset lack of proper perspective is more and more noticeable. :cry:

irukard made a tutorial about this. I wish someone could at least correct the current playerset before we start equipment. :!: :!:
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

A question about the perspective. I was attempting to find a sprite from another game that might inspire the desired perspective and was wondering if the one below fit the proper perspective. If it does or doesn't, how off is it? Is it closer or further away from the current sprite? I'd like to say it is closer to what is desired.

Sprite is not mine nor is it for this game:

Current character is "Abolish".
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

This too is pictured from 20-30 degrees up from front view. Having a playerset portrayed correctly from 45 degrees up is going to be a challenge.

Currently AFAIK there is no one working on the playerset.

It is one of the biggest blocking tasks for CR1 and my current top priority. No one seems interested at attempting to do anything about it.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I've been trying to make at least one sprite (sit position for the female) and was a total failure,

If playerset is the top priority we should try to focus all our effort on that, so as a proposal the artists can meet and discuss about what can be the way to solve it (technical and artistical) all the artist active or not but that somehow are reading this, Iru, Ivan, Len, Saphy, Yosuhara, Fother and any other that slipped my mind, and try to make a charset dev team. We can send invitations and stablish goals, an schedule.

Some of the artist are working in other projects but I'm pretty sure they can be around and participate and even contribute to this matter.

any feedback ?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Work isn't mine, but is for this game.
Attachments
Standpose.png
Standpose.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
Current character is "Abolish".
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

AxlTrozz wrote:I've been trying to make at least one sprite (sit position for the female) and was a total failure,

If playerset is the top priority we should try to focus all our effort on that, so as a proposal the artists can meet and discuss about what can be the way to solve it (technical and artistical) all the artist active or not but that somehow are reading this, Iru, Ivan, Len, Saphy, Yosuhara, Fother and any other that slipped my mind, and try to make a charset dev team. We can send invitations and stablish goals, an schedule.

Some of the artist are working in other projects but I'm pretty sure they can be around and participate and even contribute to this matter.

any feedback ?
I like the idea. I like how it sounds. Best of luck gathering the team up.

Does this mean you are putting the tilesets on hiatus currently? (Not that they would be hyperactive apart from IvanMorve's work.)
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Rotonen wrote:
AxlTrozz wrote:I've been trying to make at least one sprite (sit position for the female) and was a total failure,

any feedback ?
I like the idea. I like how it sounds. Best of luck gathering the team up.

Does this mean you are putting the tilesets on hiatus currently? (Not that they would be hyperactive apart from IvanMorve's work.)

As you know Ivan and I are the only active lately (not hyper-active ;) ) so if the playerset is the main concern well may be we can work to try to finish it first, but I'm still on the tiles.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Hi,
Don't expect so much help from me, I ve never draw sprites before (=> n00b).
I will try to learn, but that will take time. (summer + holidays = ultimate laziness)
Anyway, Axl, if you start something, I will help you as much as I can (not that much)

Any new about Fother? He his the most skilled here, and (afaik) started something on the playerset (layering + perspective fixing ??)

(useless to do)
First step should be: outline fore a player (stand, front view) in accord with the guidelines (2 tiles high, 1 tile wide, 45° top down perspective, light from south west)
Step 2: adding the other views (still outlines)
Step 3: animate the thing (still outlines)
Step 4: texturing

@the guy behind Wombat: keep going, the new player is'nt that ugly (exept his head ) :wink:

more free bracket: )))(((((()))(((
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

First of all, thank you for your contribution of brackets. We can never have too many. Perhaps we could put them on the playerset.

But on a more serious note, yes, the dream come true would be for Fother to jump up and Just Do It (tm) the playerset. With or without sneakers.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Sorry for lack of updates, here's more crap to ignore:

I've tried off and on for a while and can't seem to hack anything close to a start to a new playerset. It makes more sense to just ignore the minor flaws of the old playerset and finish the old one.

I think the perspective problem can be ignored in favor of getting the job done. The current view ought to be best for seeing equipment. It was intriguing to make the feet slightly larger, probably because since we are looking down-ish there would be more grouping at the feet area.
bplayer.xcf.bz2
The other attempts were just lines.

Oiiii.