woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

The shape is really a bit strange tho...
Did you try to create a more Roundish Tree?
Or do something about that bulb at the right...

But well, I'm not a good artist myself so just think of
it as ideas :roll:
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

I just edited Crush's tree and added my own design...
I can make a more "wild" type tree but thats low priority on my list right now...
I love you too. :)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

The tree doesn't stand out enough of the grass because it's flat. It needs harder shading and a bit darker edge.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

Ok its getting better ^^ but still i think it should be more top down view (but thats only my opinion)
And the color is nice but perhaps the leafs are to small? like they should be a bit bigger perhaps 1-2 pixel larger (height and/or width)
like the leaves on mini bush (hihi what a punch line, sorry alll us bush loving people if there are any)
so if you do have some spare time perhaps looking into this one might bring inspiration on how to make the leaves more SoM?
just a suggestion and i might be the only one prefering these type of leaves :P

(just copy it down and zoom into it for referens :) )
(ooh and make sure the tree will not be as symmetric as my bush is :P add some variety to the leaves that is >_<, if your gonna use my type leafs :P your tree has a very none symmetryc look imo :) )
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

i love all the tiles in this post. i'm going to marry them.
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

ok once again i was surfing the web for pixel tuts , tips & tricks while sitting and doodeling in TileStudio and I came up with this one...
was trying to make some work to that SoM grass before and started up with this one.. (yes crush i know i know no need to invent the wheel but this was mostly to learn more about making sprites/tiles ;) )

would love to see some comments regarding this one :D

And the tile:

(i cheated somewhat in the tiling of the tile by turning them horizontal and vertical while laying them out, one of the many gifts in TS i guess ) :oops:
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Damn...!
You're showing a great deal of improvement in your skill very quickly, here.

I say this because: I can't find anything wrong with it. It looks like grass (kinda wild and crabgrassy), it does look SoM-ish, and looking at the bunch of them you've put together, I can't spot where one tile ends and another begins without a pointed effort. You've eliminated the grid, and that is damn hard to do.

I love it. :D
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Talaroc wrote:I can't find anything wrong with it.
I love it. :D
That is a HUGE compliment coming from Talaroc since he usually has something to critisize. :)

I like the tile too, it looks like grass in a jungle type area while Crushes looks more for just a grassy plain area.
By turning the tiles around is a good way to take off the "tiled" look... but that won't work with most tiles... anyway,
Good job! 8)
I love you too. :)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

degen wrote:ok once again i was surfing the web for pixel tuts , tips & tricks while sitting and doodeling in TileStudio and I came up with this one...
was trying to make some work to that SoM grass before and started up with this one.. (yes crush i know i know no need to invent the wheel but this was mostly to learn more about making sprites/tiles ;) )

would love to see some comments regarding this one :D

And the tile:

(i cheated somewhat in the tiling of the tile by turning them horizontal and vertical while laying them out, one of the many gifts in TS i guess ) :oops:
w00t, i love you :>
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Talaroc stop it >_< your making me blush :D
Still i think i can improve the grass some more (some parts while i work in TS where i see each pixel as they are gigantic blocks looks a tad wrong but also that wrongness might give its antural feeling as well :P )

and thank you all for _the_ very positive umm is it to be called critism?
thanks again, and do remember this was by raeding frmo _alot_ of different artists tutorials of grass and thats what i got :) it feels good to know i am improving in the right direction.

Now where did i put that bush? have to improve that one as well
*degen skips through the dirs of his tmw dir*

*edit*
i should also point out that alot of the grid dissapeard by "flipping" the tiles vertical and horizontal
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of that tile... but it's sad at least 1/4 is almost a direct copy of Zoggles grass tile tutorial.

Left: 1/4 of degen's tile, Right: Zoggle's tile

I'm not blaming you for anything, degen. I just think some people may think you did the whole tile and I'm trying to get rid of this misunderstandment.

Still it's a nice tile.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

ok once again i was surfing the web for pixel tuts , tips & tricks while sitting and doodeling in TileStudio and I came ((COMMENT: probably should have said "ended" instead of "came" bad choice of words yes yes)) up with this one...
was trying to make some work to that SoM grass before and started up with this one..
I thought that explained alot of it, (plain text) yes i did work out form a tutorial
which i found by going here first of all:

http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts ... D=706&PN=1

And zoogle is _not_ one of those marked, (Link to Tutorial) Roven or something liek that i think his name was. Its getting late but here goes, yes i started out wiht a tutorial and kept building it on after finsihing the tutorial (since TS standard is 32x32, atleast for me :P ). And in this tutorial you where shown how to learn to make SoM grass, isnt that what he did? showed how they had done the SoM tiles because i have looked into the SoM tiles as well and there might be pixels that differ but its almost idnetical to the style used in SoM (which imo was what he taught or?) And again as said earlier and now as well: it has more work on it before its done.

*edit*
After checking out that Zoogle place it seems they have the same tutorial shared as well as the Pixel-zone where i saw it. R0ven was his name Credits to him i guess for teaching me/everyone else that has read his tutorial/s :roll:
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

about the trees again.

sorry kinetic that i won't stop messing with your tiles, but i believe that we can create an awesome tree with your great leaf texture and my shading skills.

on the left you can see kinetics tree and on the right my newest edit. i placed the other tiles to show how the trees fit in. the trees may be a little bit bright, but i think they fit well anyway. the right side seems to melt a little bit with the grass.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

trees are good, grass a bit green but ground path looks affull. too smoth, too straight, too strange. anyway whole pix looks very promising. :P keep doing gr8 job.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

degen: yeah nothing to say about your tile, I love it, that's the style I like. But as Modanung noticed, try to stay away from the tutorial one, and try to make your own from scratch now that you learned so well how to create them.
Crush: the example map looks very promising, but still the tree fades too much into the grass on the right side. I think you should increase contrast, or add a better defined border. And I agree with iru, the path needs a lot of improvement before it could be actually used.