ideas for Big displays

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

ideas for Big displays

Post by Tenche »

I got an idea for big displays like 1024x768 have something like this

so we can have more room in fullscreen instead of the bulky chat and windows clogging our sight ;) thanks guys just an idea i had
Last edited by Tenche on 28 Oct 2005, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Degraine
Peon
Peon

Post by Degraine »

Padding out the margins with windows that are normally covering the action? I could support this.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

i guess it was doener who already had a working version in higher resolution maybe he could merge that into tmw
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

ya its just a good idea gives more room gets the stuff out of your hair and looks 10 times better
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

pretty much everyone is running 1024x768 or higher nowadays. might be worth thinking about completely changing to some fixed "L"-layout around the ingame area, at least for the windows that are open most of the time anyways. just making them translucent is suboptimal imho.

l33t mspaint "design study":

yes, that's not very secret-of-manaish, but having chat, map, stats window s blocking half of the screen isn't either...
another (more old-school) idea to get the screen "clean" would be to just have a small hp/mp bar (without background window), -maybe- a translucent map, and messages would just pop up at the bottom of the screen (like fps console messages) and disappear soon after
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

good way to put it thanks
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I dont like on screen gui

I like better a small box or somethin of that sort and full screen is map more less
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

You should create a tab for the chat box and put it on the side. Like set the chat box on the side and have a arrow and when you click the arrow the chat box shows up. Along with the stats and item bar.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Magick wrote:You should create a tab for the chat box and put it on the side. Like set the chat box on the side and have a arrow and when you click the arrow the chat box shows up. Along with the stats and item bar.
I agree, and the arrow should flash/pulsate when there are unread private/personal messages
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

To get back to the topic of screen usage on higher resolution than 800x600, I think we could scale the map and objects (at least in OpenGL) to fit any resolution, while keeping the GUI elements 1:1. So you wouldn't see more in a higher resolution, but you would have more space for the windows.

One problem with this may be that the graphics will appear too blurred, but we'll have to test it. When it's too blurred the original suggestion by Tenche would still be an option, where we could place some kind of default border around the viewport.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Or we could do it in a few ways, release and weed out the ways that get no support from the players: alpha testing is a nice phase, isn't it..? 8)
This message used to be meaningful.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Bjørn wrote:To get back to the topic of screen usage on higher resolution than 800x600, I think we could scale the map and objects (at least in OpenGL) to fit any resolution, while keeping the GUI elements 1:1. So you wouldn't see more in a higher resolution, but you would have more space for the windows.
That could be allright, but the base resolution that things are scaled from should be 1024x768; ktm was correct in the statement that most people are running with that or better these days. Scaling down to fit smaller resolutions shouldn't be any problem, although I would quite like to use Magick's suggestion of tabbed offscreen windows (although I think basic stats should always be visible; perhaps in a bar along the top rather than a box in the corner).
javaroast
Peon
Peon

Higer Res

Post by javaroast »

I've been playing with higher resolutions in the CVS version on Windows and it works out pretty well. I haven't tried it on Linux yet though. I'm not noticing any distortion or anything like that other than the opening graphic which I didn't scale in my build.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Higer Res

Post by Bjørn »

javaroast wrote:I've been playing with higher resolutions in the CVS version on Windows and it works out pretty well. I haven't tried it on Linux yet though. I'm not noticing any distortion or anything like that other than the opening graphic which I didn't scale in my build.
The thing we'd want to prevent though, is one player seeing more than another player simply because he runs a higher resolution. The 800x600 guy would have a hard time hiding from the 1600x1200 guy.

Anyway for this purpose of course the server only tells the client about things that are near, hence when running higher resolution it should happen more often that you see things appearing or disappearing within visual range.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

for that, we could have some kind of "semi-transparent fog of war" (letting some of the terain shine through), and smoothly fade in the beings once they enter the non fogged area. gameplay-wise, just showing more of the map (without monsters) would be pretty useless though.