Archers shafted again?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Archers shafted again?

Post by DarkWater »

5000 arrows, really? Love you alot but 5000 is a little much.

But I can see where you are coming from, the current combat system is just unfix-able.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Lord of the Flies wrote:To me it just seems everything in this game always favours warriors.
Because archers are warriors with armor. Because the terminal problem with combat system does not allow anything out of the x vs y system.

Since this server system is dead anyway, no point in fixing the problem.

You can redo the system to be more balanced but in the end, since there is only about 30 people fighting at any given time, it is pointless.

Not to throw the real world out there, but in the real world, archers are kind of pointless as front line troops. Since everything in this game is front line fighting, archers are kind of pointless.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Assassin armor or forest armor could be your savior..but I can't say that for certain.
Current character is "Abolish".
kalaez
Novice
Novice

Post by kalaez »

And you are high level and have some points to str. surely. My archer isn't, so got basically all on agi and dextrety, and If I carry:
warlord helmet
warlord plate
chaps
forest bow
leather gloves
fur boots
2400 arrows
50 concentration potions.
4 leaf clover

Can't carry anything, neither water!! can't heal myself. and I'm just carrying basic items, 9/100 and with this I got few grams under my half weight...
something is wrong..
Check me on myspace/kalaezhh if like spanish hip hop
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

I'm level 94 and play archer-mage exclusively. Before the weight change I basically carried all the warlord armour etc but never wore them however because my vit is at a constant 1 (my choice) the armour protection would have been barely noticeable if I even wore them.

So not carrying warlord helmet, warlord armour and steel shield basically freed 2.5kg+0.9kg+2.6kg=6kg. However I can understand perfectly that players who are not used to the skill required of staying ahead of monsters, circling obstacles, predicting monster actions, compensating for lag, etc can feel constrained by this because they'll want to put points into vit and wear armour.

My archer-mage setup before was basically max dex, agi and remaining to int to play support. If I chose to I could have gone and put all the int to vit which wouldn't let me help heal others but would help me survive more. With the new weight change (which is slightly more realistic) I have to re-adjust to put more points into str as well to keep the supply of arrows I carry around normally 8k and have space for drops. As an archer-mage it means I can use the flying backpack spell but this is only a temporary solution that if you plan to grind is not sustainable esp with my vit at 1.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
MrDudle
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDudle »

5,000 iron arrows even before weighed a lot. I could never carry more than about 1,500 plus whatever else I had.
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

IMO, if you play archer there is no try there is just do. That means aside from using the shiny setzer to fight your way back to an arrow shop you should constantly be stocked with arrows. If you're only able to carry 1500 arrows clearly something is deadly wrong. Before I could carry up to 12-15k arrows (with limited space for picking up drops), I would carry around 10k if I knew I was drop hunting. Now I can carry only 8k arrows by storing mostly unessentials.

Bear in mind that food items can weigh a lot and since archers now have limited carry capacity it maybe worth considering picking what food/healing items you carry and whether or not it's worth carrying. For example I carry bugs legs (->lifestones) that weigh around 1g too that is good for self healing. An example of a bad item to carry around is Acorn with 3hp heal weighing 1g when you could get a bottle of water that heals 250hp weighing 10g.

Oh and iron arrows and normal arrows weigh the same at 1g. I doubt that you can request for them to be lighter. There are some really retarded items that I would never dream of carrying around. I don't even bother with rares unless they give good stats. IMO apart from obviously being rare, most rares are dead paper weights used only to pompously declare their hours wasted on getting rich.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The original RO solved the problem that arrows can't weight less than 1 by introducing a "quiver" item. When you use a quiver you lose it and get 100 arrows in return, but the weight of a quiver is less than 100 arrows.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Crush wrote:The original RO solved the problem that arrows can't weight less than 1 by introducing a "quiver" item. When you use a quiver you lose it and get 100 arrows in return, but the weight of a quiver is less than 100 arrows.
+1

Request this item in the graphics forum
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

OK, not to be silly about this, but this just puts a band aid on a amputated arm.

We need to fix the value system, not the items system.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We will be working on rebalancing monsters and their drops.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

jaxad0127 wrote:We will be working on re-balancing monsters and their drops.
And thank you for doing that, it has been noticed.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

DarkWater wrote:OK, not to be silly about this, but this just puts a band aid on a amputated arm.

We need to fix the value system, not the items system.
I think they are viewed better as two completely different issues.

Also, I noticed nobody gave any props to the topic title. Nicely done.
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

weight can be a problem as pure archer. i totally agree. I had the problem with the arrows too.
I think the arrow price is ok and also having distance between you and the enemy is good in exchange for not wearing a shield.
But arrows are a bit too heavy.

All in all i think there is some balancing between the "classes" needed. I think warriors have the problem. While archers and mages have good hits even at lower levels a warrior only hits well while being protected well too if he is a high level (to put good points in str, vit, dex, luck). So maybe we need a weapon for warriors that hits harder or more accurate, that you could get at a higher level... like 70+ or so. To make it really fair again.
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.