equipment tiers

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

equipment tiers

Post by Kage »

I have a idea for a tier system, that will help re-balance equipment in the game.

If this system is implemented, we will have to loose many quests or change their rewards.

A tier system works in that equipment comes at different levels and types.

Each equipment will be dedicated to a stat, and given a noun.

Code: Select all

Strength - Bear
Agility - Cat
Vitality - Turtle
Intelligence - Owl
Luck - Rabbit
Then each equipment will be given a level and value.

Level Range     Adj.             Bonus
---------------   ------------     --------
1-9                 Inferior        10
10-19             Minor           20
20-29             Lesser          30
30-39             Casual          40
40-49             [None]         50
50-59             Formal         60
60-69             Greater        70
70-79             Major           80
80-89             Superior       90
90-98             Legendary    100
99                  Mystic          110
And finally each equipment is given a slot, and a percentage value of the slot.

Slot                 Percent Value
-----------         ----------------------
Main Hand        20%
Off Hand          20%
Chest               15%
Head               15%
Leg                 15%
Gloves             5%
Boots               5%
Ring                 5%

Now to create a new piece of gear... You simply follow the format:

[Adj.] [Slot] of the [Noun]
To determine the value of the equipment is based on these three variables.

For example

"Greater Leggings of the Bear" would have the following stats:

Min level: 60
+11 Strength (70 * 15%)
While "Minor Robe of the Owl" will have the following stats:

Min level: 20
+3 Intelligence (20 * 15%)
This is a work in progress... and there are some details that still have to be worked out. Feel free to comment.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: equipment tiers

Post by Crush »

Sounds like a great idea.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i REALLY like the concept, but i'd like to see more equipment slots: 2 torso slots (so you could equip a shirt or chainmail under armor) a neck slot,(for necklaces), 2 separate shoulder slots (for shoulder pads), a face slot (so you could equip a mask and a hat), and a waist slot (for belts).
also i have to ask: with this item system would it be possible for one item to occupy 2 slots? lets say you had a set of linked shoulder pads, could equipping them automatically use both slots?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I did some math and noticed that the stat bonuses for items get quite high (up to +22 for a single item). In the original RO stat boni on items are usually only one or two points, rarely more. They invented the system, so I think they know what they are doing when they are so stingy with stat bonuses.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:I did some math and noticed that the stat bonuses for items get quite high (up to +22 for a single item). In the original RO stat boni on items are usually only one or two points, rarely more. They invented the system, so I think they know what they are doing when they are so stingy with stat bonuses.
Well eA doesn't clone RO's system perfectly. Further more the game can support up-to 255 points on each stat, and I created this system with this in mind. I really think we should put more emphasis on gear rather then on points. If needed, we can increase cost of stats use.

If we were to use the one or two stats pure item... then there is not much room for players to grow gear wise. Starting gear is not much better then ending gear. Further more the gear you choose is not all that important.

If you wish we can take a more conservative approach, and lower the bonus amount for teirs, the system should work just as well, but with less verity. We might want to take some teirs out so equipment doesn't endup being all the same.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

yourmistakes wrote:i REALLY like the concept, but i'd like to see more equipment slots: 2 torso slots (so you could equip a shirt or chainmail under armor) a neck slot,(for necklaces), 2 separate shoulder slots (for shoulder pads), a face slot (so you could equip a mask and a hat), and a waist slot (for belts).
also i have to ask: with this item system would it be possible for one item to occupy 2 slots? lets say you had a set of linked shoulder pads, could equipping them automatically use both slots?
This is for tAthena, which is limited in slot count. We're abusing it to get as many slots as we already have and which slots we have.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

All monster stats go to 255 too. Provided someone does the math and does worst case scenario assessments, I see no problem with using the system beyond what RO did.

If max statpoints + max itembonus = maxed out stat by system, I see no problem. It forces people to specialize for teamplay against ridiculously hard enemies.
This message used to be meaningful.
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

Not that you need it but thumbs up! This a brilliant idea. The organisation of tiers here is definitely what this game needs. I also like how stats can go up by +22 too.

Whilst unique player stats play a big factor items should also contribute more. Take the example of DotA (Defence of the Ancients -popular multiplayer WC3 custom game) regardless of which hero you play without items they are pretty screwed. Atm in TMW, with my archer-mage stats I can pretty much unequip everything, carry a bow and arrows and still play like I do with no significant consequences. Actually my magic may even increase a bit.

The hard part is balancing all the actual stats afterwards. Take the M. Defence and M. Attack for example. In another topic I already explained how lightning can 1hit kill even with medium int.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

i thought it would be goof to have so many different equipments then that all look the same, and you can't identify what someone else is wearing. on the first glance it might be a good idea to identify it by coloring the equipment, but then it might let some stuff look very silly. also it would just work for the stats, not for the levels. so i assume, it would be easiest to let them all look the same or identify them just with symbols, descriptions or whatever else.

anyways, there are already colorable cotton clothes, and i would propose to add extra gear types for the different magic schools, at least for robes or the like. so white robe could add stats for life magic, black for war magic and so on (i know, more colors than schools..). dunno if that would be easy to add, and i know, it's not exactly what you were talking about, kage, so maybe your idea should be realized first.
anyways, there are also some kind of magic staffs, that could be used for the extra magic school stats aswell. will they? in the moment they seem a bit out of purpose.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My proposition: initially use ugly recoloring, but over time work to identify them properly from each other. Particle effects can also be used to identify armor and weapons, AFAIK. By particle effects, I do not mean to use 1000 blue balls to kill the FPS on everyone's client, but 1 or 2 actually hand-pixelled animations.
This message used to be meaningful.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

The bonuses seem too high to me. Higher level characters are already pretty much total juggernauts that have few challenging monsters to fight.. without re-balancing mob stats giving such large bonuses as equipment level goes up could be a problem.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

afaik rebalancing player and mob stats are near the top of the to-do list
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

MadCamel wrote:The bonuses seem too high to me. Higher level characters are already pretty much total juggernauts that have few challenging monsters to fight.. without re-balancing mob stats giving such large bonuses as equipment level goes up could be a problem.
I think Kage wanted to change how many stats points players receive too, so that the armor is the main source.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

jaxad0127 wrote:
MadCamel wrote:The bonuses seem too high to me. Higher level characters are already pretty much total juggernauts that have few challenging monsters to fight.. without re-balancing mob stats giving such large bonuses as equipment level goes up could be a problem.
I think Kage wanted to change how many stats points players receive too, so that the armor is the main source.
Indeed... we can increase the spending cost stat points. or reduce the amount of stat points received from leveling

@Rotonen: Yes, I considered this when designing the over all... At the highest tier, with all the same class of equipment, you can have about 120 points worth of equipment in one stat. Given the max 99 base points you get from leveling, this means the highest possible stat will be around 219. Which well below the 255 limit of tmwAthena.
Arphetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Arphetic »

You might want to make this a 50-50 situation, so you can get to 120 points from your status points and 125 from your armors.
bcs86 wrote:This game is a long way from looking like something people could take seriously.