Login Wallpapers (This is not a flame topic)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

hehe that was a cool bg as well ^^
still i really liked ultim's :)
i wanna se more of that one
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
godHead
Peon
Peon

Post by godHead »

Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

heh id otn really man no offence but the girl stinks it looks like her boobs are sticking out and she has camletoe i dont think people will like that lol
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Tenche wrote:it looks like her boobs are sticking out and she has camletoe
they are, i can see both nipples. cant make out a cameltoe though. anyways, that pic does so not fit the game's style...
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Wow, another cut and paste anime style. Anime is killing our generation's artists. Just because the anime style is easy and makes things look nice doesn't mean you have to use it! Make your own style!

i made another login screen!

Sorry about the rant... i get a little pumped up about expression sometimes.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

WOW Ultim

this is fantastic .. darn i wish i coud draw like that
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
godHead
Peon
Peon

Post by godHead »

The girl is straight from the Wiki's concept art section. And it is the same artist and "cut and paste" style as the current login screen. And since when is boobs stickin' out a bad thing?

And one more thing: I don't need to remind you that this game is still a pre-alpha. The style and general feel is going to change, alot. Perhaps this doesn't sync right now but as the game progresses so will the style/feel. I don't mind critisism as long as it's constuctive. Just saying "it doesn't fit" doesn't help me too much for future revisions.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

hmm we could have random login screens .. or maybe once the maps are bigger and oading takes a bit a virous number of loading screens too
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ultim wrote:Wow, another cut and paste anime style. Anime is killing our generation's artists. Just because the anime style is easy and makes things look nice doesn't mean you have to use it! Make your own style!
Not really something I would have expected you to say, considering that most of the old SNES games were in at least semi-anime style, SoM included.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

The anime style was born from game graphics. The misproportioned people are because in the earlier games with lower resolution, the bodies did come out misproportioned. The games all had their own styles (which is why we're having so much trouble) that, collectively, developed into anime. Anime wasn't bad looking at first, but since the style is copied over and over by everyone age 4-25, and since the style doesn't take much talent to emulate, it's really pretty repulsive. And though it's legally correct to steal a style, it's not ethically correct. And if we're going to steal a style, why not just steal an entire tileset? It'll be so much easier.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ultim wrote:since the style doesn't take much talent to emulate
I beg to differ. Doing anime style well is as hard as doing any other style well. Sure, there are plenty of people who draw anime style poorly, but there are plenty of people who just draw poorly, regardless of style.
Ultim wrote:And though it's legally correct to steal a style, it's not ethically correct. And if we're going to steal a style, why not just steal an entire tileset? It'll be so much easier.
"Bad artists imitate. Great artists steal." -Picasso
(not really relevant to my response, I just love that quote)
You have got to be kidding me. We're already pulling stylistically off of something preexisting. That's kind of the point of the game. You can't tell people their work isn't in the SoM style enough in one thread then turn around and say we're not ripping off styles in another.

Using someone else's style is perfectly legitimate in the art world. Most of your favorite artists (traditional visual, musical, pixel, and so on) probably did/do it. Hell, people are taught to in art schools. It's an entirely different world than stealing someone else's work.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Rotonen wrote:An easy way to contribute would be to go to our wiki, fetch our conceptual art pieces from there and then gimp up nice login screens and/or desktop bagrounds from them.
Stop arguing, produce more login screens.
This message used to be meaningful.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Working on it laidies ;)

Edit: Image

:D hope you like it ;D
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

it sucks!
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Talaroc wrote:
Ultim wrote:since the style doesn't take much talent to emulate
I beg to differ. Doing the anime style well is as hard as doing any other style well.
If you say, "Any other cartoon/'symbolic line style'", sure; but I'd put money on, say, the style of Craig Mullins being much harder to emulate than Fred Gallagher's. After all, I can draw such that my work would be indistinguishable from Fred Gallagher's, but I can't draw like Mullins to save my life.

The problem with anim?, as I see it, is that instead of first learning how to draw things realistically and then simplifying down to symbols (the basis of cartooning), people instead are trying to imitate the symbology of other people without thinking about why it works.

Which results in all these hack webcomics that look like poor imitations of inuyasha.
Talaroc wrote:We're already pulling stylistically off of something preexisting. That's kind of the point of the game. You can't tell people their work isn't in the SoM style enough in one thread then turn around and say we're not ripping off styles in another.
No kidding. Drawing in a style inspired by anime-like games like SOM or RO is kinda one of the axioms of TMW, one of the things that makes it what it is...
Talaroc wrote:Hell, people are taught to in art schools.
Some artists, like myself, aim not to draw in any "style," but instead to simply do as good of a job as possible of depicting the real world accurately. The style will show up on its own.

I'd like to believe in the ideal that art schools teach students only the technical skill they need to realistically render things if they so choose. However, the reality of the situation is probably why I am not going to art school. :roll: