equipment tiers

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: equipment tiers

Post by Kage »

Arphetic wrote:You might want to make this a 50-50 situation, so you can get to 120 points from your status points and 125 from your armors.
So everyone can reach the 255 limit?

I purpose more of a 210 limit area... or less... Cutting it right on 255 is foolish IMO
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Not that you have to make everything immediately available. Start small, release more when things are balanced for the current content.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Rotonen wrote:Not that you have to make everything immediately available. Start small, release more when things are balanced for the current content.
Indeed. But we still need room for expansion.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but space for temporary magic buffs also may help. 210 max from equipment + max. character advancement would leave room for that, I think.
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I like the concept but I see flaws in it. It's almost redundant to have specialized gear when really gear of any particular type would only be suitable for one maybe 2 class roles. What warrior in there right mind would walk around with "Greater Warlordplate of the Rabbit"?
Luck is really a worthless stat atm in the game anyways. Why no DEX bonus gear? At least I could see leather with dex on it usable for more then one class.(Assassin/Archer). Would the armor type be random? I would hate repeating a difficult quest over and over again just to keep getting Plate-chest of the Cat so I can vendor it because it is an useless piece of gear. The way I see it there are only a few real class types.

Warrior = Plate Gear (why have every variant of plate gear when you really only want of the bear for dps or of the turtle to tank)
Archer = Leather or light mail with DEX
Assassin = Leather gear with AGI (already have an assassin's set) and maybe str for melee attack power.
Mage/Priest = INT. atm I see no difference in the stats needed for either role. A way separate these 2 classes would be ideal.

This scaling gear type is also one of the biggest mistakes that most mmorpg's make. Instead of unique graphics for a higher lvl piece it's just the same old thing with slightly higher stats. You could have a lvl 50 look just like a 99 and the only difference would be how powerful the gear is.

Really at this point in the game I only see reason to have one gear set per class role atm. now in the future having different type of gear quality could be something interesting but only as long as it wasn't just to reuse a spirte for a higher lvl item

Based off the Assassin set there could be a set bonus added to the existing gear to help define class roles.

Hat +5
Pants +5
Chest +10
boots +5
gloves +5

It's not much only +30 in stats, but that is was the assassin set's agi bonus is at if I am not mistaken.
Of course this doesn't include rings or neck pieces that could be made to add to this. I could go on for days about this but I see things both from the dev POV and the players POV. The system you described sounds functional on paper but in practice it would just be hell. Gear would get reused for higher scale gear and we would always look the same from lvl 10 to 99. Kinda boring and lazy if you ask me.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

I'm not sure we'd look the same ALL the time but for specific situations yes people would be wearing the same thing (of the class) for grinding levels as an example. Some things you can't see being worn anyway (I mean right now) take the 4 leaf clover or the towel. If you walk into town you'll see straight away a huge assortment of variations in clothing having these "special stats" items doesn't force people to be wearing them all the time only during certain situations which really isn't much different to the warrior or mage class now. Only the archer-mage combination shows any real flexibility atm in combat.

So to me having visual differences in different levels of the same type of outfit would add to the game rather than limit it.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

For manaserv, we plan of allowing individual items to be dyed, not just replaced with a pre-dyed instance. This will allow a wide range of colors for each visible item.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

what's going on with this?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Waiting for balance to determine equipment tiers.
Current character is "Abolish".
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Bumping this because it needs great justice.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
nm0i
Peon
Peon

Post by nm0i »

wushin wrote:Bumping this because it needs great justice.
Yeah, mewbies have nothing to do but to grind 90 lvl till they meet content -_-
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Along with weapon quests new gear variants for all levels need to be added. It also causes a bump up in some mob stats.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.