[FND][REQ] Rings, Ingots, Uncut Gems

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] Rings, Ingots, Uncut Gems

Post by Wombat »

Don't worry too much about criticism. Critics might offer something to help learn from, but the persons you are trying to get this work to aren't them. In the end, we'll review this thread and pick what we like best. Also, thank you for posting your images. Your ingot has a great shape to it, something I was attempting to achieve, but couldn't quite get it right. Your rings break from the existing ring art with an appealing look. I'll play with your images shortly and see what I can do with them.
Current character is "Abolish".
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

While I'm not done yet, I welcome anyone to touch up this ring. I started from scratch, but used a recolor of tengu's ring (which I believe was a simplified recolor and shading of Kess's wedding ring) as a pallet and inspiration for the shading. The top jewel was inspired by Angelieux's work. It has an empty socket, which will be properly shaded later for both an empty "simple ring" waiting for a jewel to be placed in it and a gemstone ring.
Attachments
simple_ring_2_1.png
simple_ring_2_1.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

This was taking a recolored dark crystal and two of Crush's generic-gemstone-d's to make an uncut gemstone formation.
Attachments
gemstone_1.png
gemstone_1.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

which I believe was a simplified recolor and shading of Kess's wedding ring
Yes, you're right. But, my tool is the Graphic Gale. The palet is good for itens, and small things, but, for tileset and large draws, is useless.

/me need learn use the GIMP :lol:
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Well, I tried make another shading.

I thought that you were need a ring like wedding ring... but if you want a generic ring, i can make another model.

I will try another model also of ring with gemstone, with the gem aimed for southwest
If Angeliex don't mind, i will use his/her ring as model.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

:cry: I am not getting the right effect... (see anel genérico.png)

hum, I tried another model of ring. However, I tried several times put a gem in this ring, and...always failure (see anelcomgema.png).

Obs.: basic shading on "anelcomgema" (by Angeliex). Thanks man, this tecnique is very good! :D
Attachments
anelcomgema.png
anelcomgema.png (332 Bytes) Viewed 2779 times
anelgenérico.png
anelgenérico.png (532 Bytes) Viewed 2779 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I think this looks a little cleaner than my previous attempt. But I'll ponder that.
Attachments
simple_ring_2_3.png
simple_ring_2_3.png (1019 Bytes) Viewed 2747 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Update on this [REQ] list. Deadline has been set for all art to be complete by August 5th. Hopefully we have some satisfactory art, but I encourage any and all to try to top what we have already made. I will continue tweaking a few of the icons until deadline is reached.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Mr. Wombat, I could make the ring better, but, I don't know what i can do more...

For example, the ring (anélgenérico.png) need a black outline or no outline?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

It needs a less than black outline (gray, brown or other darker color). If you make them gold looking, it will help get them in because the npc that gives the ring uses gold to make them. Colors like orange and yellow with brown shading seems to be working well with what has been done.

I prefer anelbase.png and simplering21.png...if anelcomgema.png is colored like gold and with less than black outline (maybe yellow or orange with brown or gray outline) I think it has potential too. I also like angelieux's drawing of gemstone ring, which could be colored differently. All these seem to be the current top of what has been done.
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

I've used more bright color. I liked :mrgreen: , but you say when they are ready :D

What I could improve more? Am I committing the same errors?
Attachments
anelcomgema.png
anelcomgema.png (595 Bytes) Viewed 2673 times
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Soften the edges of your ring (use more Anti-Analyzing). What that means is to add a light shade which will be somewhat see-through (light opacity) around the ring so the edges of the ring corners aren't so visible. Also, be sure to remove the white background before submitting anything or it won't be usable. It is extra work for me to clean up. Doing so will help me finish more quickly what this [REQ] is for, so a faster release into the game.

For the simple ring, make sure there is a place to put a gem on it. I'm going to test graphics today. I'll give you stronger input after I'm done testing today or tomorrow.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Wombat wrote:Anti-Analyzing
???
This message used to be meaningful.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

anti-aliasing...sorry. I say it in my head "anti-analyzing".
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

What that means is to add a light shade which will be somewhat see-through (light opacity) around the ring so the edges of the ring corners aren't so visible
Take it easy :roll:

I am not good in english.

Can you send a PM explaining better?
For the simple ring, make sure there is a place to put a gem on it. I'm going to test graphics today. I'll give you stronger input after I'm done testing today or tomorrow.
I will fix the ring for put the gemstone. And about the transparency, i will put in the end of the work.

Regards