eAthena to TMServ

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Gotcha
Novice
Novice

eAthena to TMServ

Post by Gotcha »

only a thought, but i think whats tmw on eathena atm is the best the project put together
to have an official server that works and gets new players to stay and like the game.
i wouldn't underestimate that and therefore see the transition to the new platform as something the player doesnt have to feel when porting is done at first. i would try to port the existing game 1:1 to the new platform, and from then on enhance/develop new contents and quests. maybe a bad comparison, but i think of it when trying to upgrade an older handwritten text and make it computereditable to enhance/change it more easily then. i would just type it 1:1 in the new system, and there then go along with everything i thought was the reason to the step of transfering to a new platform. i wouldn't change the story or sentences the same time i change the platform since both happens a lot slower and also a better than before experience isn't garanteed automatically. i'd see the portingprocess as one process with the goal to have better technics available, for the then following recreation/enhancement of the existing contents.
the mana world holds such a huge room for possible associations that it's quests and contents are limitless regarding possible genres from quests and areas. spok and kirk invite to a ride into scifi for example. who knows, another quest takes through time to somewhere(even underwater with oldfashioned scubaoutfit), while all that is stays connected in one huge fantasy mmorpg. thats also why i dont see so many forks seem to be on the rise. there is still much space in tmw for countless ideas i think, but also, one after antoher. achieving acomplishment would happen faster since efforts get visible little by little but constantly/faster(good for motivation) compared to strategies with huge changes that get seen only once in a while(surely accomplishment is huge than too, but also the way to there is harder too i could imagine.)

edit: a portingsceme(if thats possible) that says for example 1 in eAthena =3 in TMserv, 4=8 and so on could save the loads of input regarding gameplay when porting.
Last edited by Gotcha on 02 Aug 2010, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: eAthena to TMServ

Post by Bertram »

Hi Gotcha,

In fact the eAthena to TMWserv is more TmwAthena to ManaServ.

Rotonen will tell better than me, but basically. The plan is to add content on the current server, managed by the team in the #tmw-content IRC channel, and to create a new world using the new server, and use to test higher GFX standard, and new server capabilities.

Best regards.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

hm ok, you see i'm not really quallified to speak on that topic, nevertheless, that would have been my suggestion, would the goal have been to just port to a new system for now. If it's going to be a new game with even better technics, and the same people have their minds on it, i think good success is out of question. if theres something u know you definitely want to port from the existing contents, let me know and i will try to help with it.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

The time will come indeed.

The new system is making use of LUA for scripting purpose, so help there is already appreciated.

Best regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The current Manaserv test server is still using the TMW content, just with senseless monster stats and minus the NPCs (porting all the NPC scripts from the eA scripting language to LUA would be a pretty tedious task)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We need to fix that, though. Sharing the same repository for tAthena and manaserv is forcing some file name spacing, which is messy.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

i wouldnt force two seperate things, at least on a codelevel, into the same repos, it wouldnt make things clearer, nevertheless, it would connect people working on almost different projects better maybe.

"porting all the NPC scripts from the eA scripting language to LUA would be a pretty tedious task"
i think thats what is because the eA scripting expresses everything that was put into the project till yet, "just" in another syntax.
the transition of that syntax shouldnt cut what it actually was meant to be, and thats the loads of input regarding gameplay, making the fun playing it too.

i registered on the testingserver a few minutes before i created Gotcha, and there saw what u meant. it's like having a fullfledged "finished" website u want to port to a new system but not taking the contents itself into account. changing the platform doesnt necessarily mean to change the content, like a new drupal site that has a ton of features but not the contents of the former site, that were the reasons to embed into a better system when thinking about why to port what is, to a better system. the system itself isnt the reason i mean, but a thing to provide and satisfy new ideas the old system wasnt capable to do.

i mean there's a huge gap between porting what is, and creating what maybe should have been earlier on another system.
sure a new world would look different, but the measures in creating it wouldnt change maybe when it was done with elan and a wholehearted ingamefun experience in mind, thats why for me the "old" content/world wouldnt be in competition too much to new emerging stuff even in a newer and that case better system.