[WIP] Blue Tile Roof

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] Blue Tile Roof

Post by Merlin »

After looking high and low for a suitable roof I've found that I couldn't find one that actually worked correctly.
Seems that most graphic artist don't have a clue as what it should really look like. I came up with this odd blue tile and went to town.
I've included 2 actual sets for flexibility. One thing I disliked was the forcing the roof to be a certain width. It's either odd or even depending on the tileset your working with. The woodland tileset uses a center piece to almost force an odd number width of the building.

Screen shot of roof in TMW:

The WIP Tileset added with the block wall extras:

Is there a particular standard to the tileset size or what is considered a good max size?

The shading is very basic and I'm not quite sure I have it right. I am thinking of adding a fascia and barge-board to the roof perhaps with the same wood texture that is used on the block wall set. For reference to what that is look at for example
http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/archite ... s/roof.php
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Blue Tile Roof

Post by Crush »

The roof looks very great with Irukards concrete wall tileset. Good work.

But there is a perspective error in the transmission from the horizontal to the vertical roof. It is also very visible that you used automatic resizing on the windows - their lines are very blurry.

Regarding tileset size: The standard size is 512x512. There were reports about bugs which occur when tilesets are much larger, but I am not sure where the upper limit is. I believe that you have a lot of duplicates in this tileset which could instead be used for the variant tiles.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:The roof looks very great with Irukards concrete wall tileset. Good work.

But there is a perspective error in the transmission from the horizontal to the vertical roof. It is also very visible that you used automatic resizing on the windows - their lines are very blurry.

Regarding tileset size: The standard size is 512x512. There were reports about bugs which occur when tilesets are much larger, but I am not sure where the upper limit is. I believe that you have a lot of duplicates in this tileset which could instead be used for the variant tiles.
I think i know what you are talking about but I am not quite sure, is it the tip of the roof protruding from the ridge line?
Yes the windows were re-sized and are blurry atm till i do some retouching or scrape it altogether and draw new ones similar. Those were created mostly for concept visualization rather then intended to be a final product. I would like to make ones similar but can't seem to decide on a good window size hence the three versions of the same window. The set will be reduced and the duplicates will be removed once i get things refined.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Here is a screenshot from the woodland village roofs. Note that the angle is more steep when the vertical roof meets the horizontal roof than when the vertical roof ends in the air.
woodland-roof-compare.png
woodland-roof-compare.png (125.93 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:Here is a screenshot from the woodland village roofs. Note that the angle is more steep when the vertical roof meets the horizontal roof than when the vertical roof ends in the air.
Now I see what your talking about. Yes I need to change that transition to make a realistic roof valley.
Thank you for you input crush. I'll get a re-hipped version of the roof done and perhaps add the faceboard, but idk if it is necessary but it just seems wrong to have the roof just stop at the edge of the overhang.

(Edit)

Do you think having the even set and off set roofs are a good idea or should I just stick with one set? I don't want to have too many tiles but don't want to force certain building sizes on the mappers.

(Double EDIT)
The idea for this came from Meway's work on the castle tower. I saw the blue tile type roof thought the color made a good match, so I started on this roof set.
I would like to see that tower concept re-created using the block wall and this roof. I might even attempt my own version.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Here's a preview of some of the changes. Want to have it checked out before I keep going.
I changed the Hip transition angle. It's about 15% degree's steeper. I'm not sure if thats the correct angle for a 12/12 pitch roof. My speed square dosnt work with gimp. XD I added the Trim board and want to know if that looks alright. I plan on makeing diffrent widths and angle trim if the intial concept is in the right direction.
Somethings in this concept are not correct like where to the 2 roofs meet at the bottom of the transition. The 2 fascia boards should intersect in the cornner and they don't. So there might be 2 vertical bottoms for the diffrent aligned roofs.
Last edited by Merlin on 28 Aug 2010, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

The first tagged WIP Tileset with new window.
I need to decide on permanent placing for the tiles and figures and duplicate tiles will be make into variant tiles in time.
Attachments
blueroof-tmw-001.png
blueroof-tmw-001.png (197.81 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
MerlinX420
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Really great job! If you need another project to match this, an interior castle tileset would be awesome. I have a content release planned for next year that could use it.
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Wombat wrote:Really great job! If you need another project to match this, an interior castle tileset would be awesome. I have a content release planned for next year that could use it.
Ty. I really like the look of this latest version. (2 sec. after i posted it I found a few things i missed or messed up. XD) I believe that the inside can be made with the existing outside wall set. I have done a few like that. There might be a few things added that wouldn't be on the outside. Things like the stove for example. I might pull that from this wip and move it to a new one. The reason for the wood trim is so that I can trim out any interior walls as well with the same trim. Well I guess it would be wood shoring/forms in the block-wall structures not actual trim. I might make a 3rd version of the roof that's at less of a pitch. I figure a 6/12 and a 12/12 would give enough to work with for roof designs.

I also have an idea to make some other colored trim and roof tiles.
I know manual recolors are forwned upon but it would add alot of varity to the buildings.
I would also work on different windows to try and mix things up. Those I could also do similar recolored variants of the stained glass window.

Since I am retiring from World of Warcraft I am going to be spending more time on tmw related projects.
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

MerlinX420 wrote:I know manual recolors are forwned upon but it would add alot of varity to the buildings.
Manual recolors of sprites are frowned upon. Manual recolors of map tilesets, on the other hand, are OK because although the client can deal with them theoretically, Tiled (the map editor) can't. So when we want to provide mappers the what-you-see-is-what-you-get working environment they need for good mapping we have to provide them with manually recolored tilesets.
  • NOT a game master

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:I know manual recolors are forwned upon but it would add alot of varity to the buildings.
Manual recolors of sprites are frowned upon. Manual recolors of map tilesets, on the other hand, are OK because although the client can deal with them theoretically, Tiled (the map editor) can't. So when we want to provide mappers the what-you-see-is-what-you-get working environment they need for good mapping we have to provide them with manually recolored tilesets.
That's what I was thinking. It would be nice for tiled to support auto recoloring. Maybe one day. I know Bjorn's done a hell of a job with tiled since I first used it. Gets better all the time. It wouldn't be to hard to make multiple colored sets once I finish one set.

I could see from the mappers point of view wanting WYSIWYG workable tilesets.

ATM I am looking to do:

Make Hip ends and faces.
fix a few tile errors
Make 6/12 pitch version will all transitions
more wood trim and 2nd lighter variant of trim

If anyone has any more Ideas please speak up. I could really use some nice 45% planks of wood. I don't like the ones that I have.
MerlinX420
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I just created the issue about recolorable tiles in the tiled issue tracker: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/ti ... .php?id=61

Best regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Update on WIP

Screen-shots.

I noticed that things seemed kinda "flat" when working with this tileset so I started making shadows that can be tiled over. Works nice because they are realistic and cover the sprite layer. I saw that the ones in the woodland tileset is actually part of another tile and wasn't on a over layer.

Before I continue making the rest of my shadows, I would like feedback on the opacity, direction and portrayal of them. From what I can recall tmw is based on a 45% top from the SW light direction.

I still need to make some improvements to the roof,but want to check on the shadows before i make those for the rest of the roofs.
MerlinX420
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

In my opinion, the roof tiles are too "griddy" ... On real tiled roofs the tile rows are staggered. (example image - http://www.hometips.com/catimages/01260 ... ingles.jpg)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

zick wrote:In my opinion, the roof tiles are too "griddy" ... On real tiled roofs the tile rows are staggered. (example image - http://www.hometips.com/catimages/01260 ... ingles.jpg)
Those are asphalt. These look like tiles.