Shields are not "protecction"

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

criptos
Novice
Novice

Shields are not "protecction"

Post by criptos »

They are blocking tools.

There are a huge amount of shields. Assault Shields (Very strong with a narrow window, and large), Protective Shields, small, one arm shields, used to block, and I cant rememeber the name of the others, are something between assault shields (large) but less stronge, mostly used to contain people...

To use a shiled, you shoudl have a technique. If not, you could end with your arm broken. I really think, that a "mage" casting a spell, as it is being attacked, and the attack hit the shield, there should be a very high probability of loosing the spell... It propability should decrese as the end of the casting time comes...
Somethig like: Mage being hit: 100% spell lose change.
Hit being absorbed by armor/shield, X percentage against spell time.
Mage not being hit: What a look, EvenProgrammer as TMW good take cares about you.

Also, mages, wizards, could need a artefact, a feather, skull, something at his inventory or even at theyre hands to cast certain spell... only very advances wizards, could cast spells without airtfact (skill trained at a high level?) :mrgreen: :wink:
May the Source be With You
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

As I wrote in the original topic, shields are more rerouting tools :)

Just as you said, you would end up with a broken arm.
But if you use a shield to change the direction of the attack,
all the power goes into air, just as if the attacker had missed you.

Read that:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=978
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

xand wrote:But if you use a shield to change the direction of the attack,
all the power goes into air, just as if the attacker had missed you.
Err? I wonder how you can change an attack's direction without any effort. I'd love to see you do that. :P
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
criptos
Novice
Novice

You must deflect the hit, shields are a tool

Post by criptos »

Defence with a shield is not much diferent thatn defence with anything else...

You must DEFLECT the hit with your shiled.

If you recive a direct impact, with out deflecting and only absorbing the hit, you will be:
1) Sent 1 2 or more steps backwards.
2) Sent to the floor.

Actually shields is more used, to open the guard of an atacker, to get a full flank to attack, thas why, at the moment you get hit at the shield you swing out or swing down or up, to open the flank, and have all the space to stick you opponente as a skewer. Actually, I think weapons should have Defence and Attack properties, also armours...

If you use the shield as, humm.. only a shield, you will end at the floor whit your enemy above you, pounding to your shields until, it brokes, get the chace to kill you or drive you unconciuos. Even in the ancient world, shield namaged to have edge, this edge was used as a blade.

So, if you are casting a spell, and get hit, and the hit is absorved by the shield, you must loose the spell...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Keep in mind that TMW is a game and does not in any way need to resemble the real world. It is more important to have a good gameplay then to resemble the real world.

...just a side-note.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
criptos
Novice
Novice

I know that...

Post by criptos »

But al migth blocking all hits shields sounds lame to me...

And besides, magic always has range attacks, I really think that a mage being hit at casting time deserves it, it?s a lousy mage/spellcaster, and he deserves to being hit.

Inteligence, wisdowm, are the main attributes to a mage, so a mage must be really stupid to cast a spell infront of a monster or inside its attack range and rely only on his shield for protection to cast a spell... There could be a MAGIC wall spell, that to exactly the desired effect for a spellcaster, put a wall between the ataker and him, so the spellcaster has time to cast the spell...

Think as a way to reinforce strategy. Send close combat first, footmans, infantery, when is busy attaking short range attackers, send large range attacks.. from a safe distance...