[WIP] Blue Tile Roof

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] Blue Tile Roof

Post by Merlin »

zick wrote:In my opinion, the roof tiles are too "griddy" ... On real tiled roofs the tile rows are staggered. (example image - http://www.hometips.com/catimages/01260 ... ingles.jpg)
Those are 3 tab asphalt singles. Those 2 also have a Grid like pattern but not the same as a tile roof. Architectural Singles have a staggered pattern. Stucco Tile or plastic tile roofs are in a grid pattern. You might be thinking of Ceder-shake type roofing that is staggered single tiles of Ceder. Concrete tiles can be made that use a lapped pattern similar to 3 tab singles, but I have hardly ever seen those. Me I'm found of the plastic tiles. Easy installation in RL. Tile roofs are generally used to last a long time. Asphalt singles would have to be replaced anywhere from 15 to 40 years depending on the grade. I wouldn't put an asphalt roof on a concrete block building that was meant to last.

MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Merlin, with the new roof tiles you posted you made the same perspective errors you already did before. Another suggestion: As you notice on the picture you just posted the individual tiles have different color shades. Doing the same with yours might make it look more interesting.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I guess I was thinking of cedar shakes ... When I looked at your picture, something just didn't look right.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:Merlin, with the new roof tiles you posted you made the same perspective errors you already did before. Another suggestion: As you notice on the picture you just posted the individual tiles have different color shades. Doing the same with yours might make it look more interesting.
(I think you are talking about the changed ends I redid in the latest update.)

The buildings are not joined, The foreground building is not attached. I didn't make too good of an example building there. Really it was thrown up so I could figure out shadows. It might confuse ppl. The set on the bottom of the tile set in the gable to valley end.
I have one building that shows a good example to the gable to valley end that I will edit back and post here.

I plan on identifying duplicate tiles and making variant tiles out of them. Cracked tile/missing tile/dis-colored tile etc to add variety. Yeah i was looking for a pic that showed the tiles laid out in a good formation. I am not to happy with my ridge and hip line and think of making a new tile for that.

Really this set is far from done imo. I still have much left to do. Half pitch variant and 45% hips.
Seems the more I do the more I come up with to add!

As far as re-color go I was thinking of having the basic herb colors as the set. Red,green,blue,yellow(Well almost a burnt yellow),green and purple.
(I might just wait on the recolor-able tiles.)

I am open for any help with any extra fringe/decoration that could be used to add stuff to the set.
Thank you ppl for the constant feedback, helps keep me going on this project.
Last edited by Merlin on 11 Aug 2010, 09:37, edited 2 times in total.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

zick wrote:I guess I was thinking of cedar shakes ... When I looked at your picture, something just didn't look right.
Well considering the popularity of architectural singles most ppl think of that staggered pattern when they think of a roof.
Not that I wouldn't mind a cedar shake roof in tmw, idk if they have the technology left in tmw to make asphalt singles, but this is a Fantasy game. I guess the concept of tar and a rough rocky granular surface attached to resit wear wouldn't be to high tech.

Really I would like to see a better thatched roof like crushes woodland village set.
For the record my primary profession is a Carpenter with life long building experiences. I find that my knowledge of construction in the real world does help and hinder my creation of building tilesets at the same time.

Now I could come up with a 3 tab pattern roof, but I think I would do that with a whole different material besides ceramic/concrete tile.
Fire up gimp and give it a try yourself. I started this tiles set with one little grid of tile. I used the wood from another tileset to keep colors and textures the same.
It's still another type of roof I would like to see/make for tmw.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

more shadows. start of some fenceing/grateing. made small side view hip ends.

EDIT:
One thing thats bugged me is that window of the priest/cleric. I couldnt remember where I got it so I went searching. I think I might have to pull it from the set.
It is from a pretty standard RPGmaker tileset. I can't verify the liscence. They state they are free use but I don't see anywhere a mention of cc,gpl, or any other copyleft. I think I recall seeing something about a fork that was useing rpgmaker "chipsets". I will digg a bit more on this and if cant find out soon I will pull the window.
MerlinX420
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Ok here are a couple problems. Did this structure just get built or something? put some age on it. crack the walls take the roof apart a bit. Also the peace of wood that looks like there supporting the roof look like they might just slip to the ground and kill someone so why don't we fix that. Btw you are doing a nice job keep it up. I don't care if this post is old but for all the trolls that I know run this forum I say Bump! just in case.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

meway wrote:Ok here are a couple problems. Did this structure just get built or something? put some age on it. crack the walls take the roof apart a bit. Also the peace of wood that looks like there supporting the roof look like they might just slip to the ground and kill someone so why don't we fix that. Btw you are doing a nice job keep it up. I don't care if this post is old but for all the trolls that I know run this forum I say Bump! just in case.
I've made a few variant tiles for the roof, I have more to make still. There are plenty of variant tiles in the wallset so i'm not to worried about that.
I do like the take the roof apart a bit idea. Maybe I will make a version that shows a roof under construction.
MerlinX420
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

AFAIK RPG Maker tiles are free to use in RPG Maker projects once you have bought RPG Maker for making your game.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Please don't use any RPGMaker graphics. Their copyright status is dubious and they are used by a huge number of projects resulting in a lot of people recognising them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:Please don't use any RPGMaker graphics. Their copyright status is dubious and they are used by a huge number of projects resulting in a lot of people recognising them.
Yes I agree that's why I'm gonna pull that window in my next revision. If I wanted to hack rpgmaker graphics I would dev for TAW. XD
MerlinX420
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Any usage of RPGMaker graphics is just SAD.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Dont rip on Taw they might just get pissed and what you do is not hacking... idk where these 12 year olds get these ideas.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

meway wrote:Dont rip on Taw they might just get pissed and what you do is not hacking... idk where these 12 year olds get these ideas.
ROFLMAO 12 yr old. I'm 31 and started on a c-64 and nothing but basic and a programmers guide. I ment "hack" artist as in hack and slice existing works into new things. Perhaps I should have said "hack up" "slice up" or "dice up" or any other term w/e.

The discussion of what a real "hacker" is not relevant to this forum.
It wasn't intentional a rip. You are assuming things. There's an old saying "assume". Read the word. That's all that does. I've found this to be generally true.
That's all I have to say about that.

(EDIT:Me and meway had a little in game chat. Evidently he mistook me for someone else! I'd retract what I said but it's true.)
MerlinX420
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

meh damn those 12 year olds and confusingly similar names. mhm sounds like something I would do when I was 12 years old.