**Read First Before New Art** tA Art Priorities

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

**Read First Before New Art** tA Art Priorities

Post by Wombat »

Priorities for tA art:

Graveyard NPCs and the NPC cage - This is top on the list because it should be done soon and will not be difficult to complete by the end of the month. Scripting for this art for a new content release will also be less difficult. It will also be the last of the new content releases that are coming out before the rebalance attempt.

Playerset 1.5 - The expanded player set is the next priority. There is some interest in making this happen from several people recently. Let's make it happen.

Fixing equipment - This comes right after the player set is expanded. New weapons like the whip, a sword and a spear will also make equipment fixes a long process. Shields will also need to be included on the new equipment list. All this comes after the player set on graphics development since adding new and fixing old equipment will need to fit the player set.

New monsters - There is the reaper that is getting set up and may need some additional frames. Other than this, a few other monsters are getting added to the game soon that have already been made. I'd like to see more monsters, but not at the expense of avoiding the player set.

New tiles and tile fixing - Castle interior tilesets are a big plus. Arikel has developed some snowland and lava cave tilesets. Merlin has some roof tilesets. Stuff like this can continue to be worked on by those who are already on them.

What won't get released - All art that isn't on this list. If artists want to make other things not on this list and get it into the game, they will also have to make the xml, add it to the maps and send the patch to git themselves. I'd rather use our xml contributors for our priority releases only.

New content scripting will continue to draw from existing art, but I hope to not see requests for new art from our artist base before we take steps to make the above happen.
Last edited by Wombat on 14 Aug 2010, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
Current character is "Abolish".
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: tA Art Priorities

Post by Bertram »

Ta Content management... Thanks Wombat :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Graveyard NPCs and the NPC cage - This is top on the list because it should be done soon and will not be difficult to complete by the end of the month. Scripting for this art for a new content release will also be less difficult. It will also be the last of the new content releases that are coming out before the rebalance attempt.

Can somebody start the script for some of them? We got 1/3 of npc done..
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Wombat wrote:Priorities for tA art:

I think you have people on that atm. I kinda got back late to help with this but I think someone mentioned needing a new npc still.
Playerset 1.5 - The expanded player set is the next priority. There is some interest in making this happen from several people recently. Let's make it happen.
I guess this has it's own thread but I would like to get some people who are going to work on this on the same page. I've seen lots of attempted weapon animations over the years. I would like to dig up as much previously done material and see what we have to work with.
Fixing equipment - This comes right after the player set is expanded. New weapons like the whip, a sword and a spear will also make equipment fixes a long process. Shields will also need to be included on the new equipment list. All this comes after the player set on graphics development since adding new and fixing old equipment will need to fit the player set.

New monsters - There is the reaper that is getting set up and may need some additional frames. Other than this, a few other monsters are getting added to the game soon that have already been made. I'd like to see more monsters, but not at the expense of avoiding the player set.

New tiles and tile fixing - Castle interior tilesets are a big plus. Arikel has developed some snowland and lava cave tilesets. Merlin has some roof tilesets. Stuff like this can continue to be worked on by those who are already on them.
I think the few tileset in dev still have along way to go. IDK about the progress the other 2 are making, but even at my pace on the roof it will be awhile till it's good enough for inclusion. I plan on finishing my set and hopefully be able try working on playersets/gear. Tilesets take along time. I could get more done on gear sheets then I could on tilesets.
What won't get released - All art that isn't on this list. If artists want to make other things not on this list and get it into the game, they will also have to make the xml, add it to the maps and send the patch to git themselves. I'd rather use our xml contributors for our priority releases only.
Really I would like to see more people try some art. We've had some good people come and go in this project. There is a very limited art department. I wish I had the skill of some of the better artist out there. I really don't think my roof even looks all that great. It not the best, but not bad. It's a good project to learn more about art.[/quote]
New content scripting will continue to draw from existing art, but I hope to not see requests for new art from our artist base before we take steps to make the above happen.
I am not 100% sure with you plans on the next release of content. I haven't been around much but once I figure out where to fit in I will contribute as much as I can. Should new content be eA compatible? I would assume so at this time at least.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The main priority for art is the player set. The Graveyard Inn NPC list is only a priority because it is part of an already developed release plan to get new content in tA. The equipment is a priority because it will have to be compatible with the expanded player set, so new weapons that might break equipment should be included here.

I'd like to see more people try out art and make it until it is acceptable to current tA standards, but I don't see a reason to sap our efforts when most artists aren't willing to also be xml contributors if they are working on projects independent of what developer content releases are aiming for. If an artist is willing to take the steps to learn how to get it implemented independently of content releases and take those steps, more power to them.

This is not what is actually occurring, thus my comment addressing this. From what others have said, it isn't too hard to do. With xml, scripting writing contributors can take the art and xml and run with it rather quickly...if a contributor has art, has the xml and had a good quest scripts all in hand, all they need is to talk briefly to some of the developers to give a synopsis of their independent release and/or simply submit a patch and developers can review it.

I'd prefer our strength of effort focus on things of priority, but I also have no desire to stop someone from doing what they want to do, if they really want to see it released in the game independent of what planned content releases are being developed. With that said, despite any efforts towards any official content release, if an independent project can organize its own team and make their independent releases for the game, more power to them and I encourage that approach.

My approach was similar to this, but now I'm attempting to define this as part of the development team rather than independent of it. I see no reason for people to feel constrained, especially in a creative way, but many times people want focus to be put given so they don't put effort into things that might not be moved into the game until a far later date.

There isn't any demand that every artist also be half a programmer nor every programmer be half an artist. Collaboration is a team effort and this is the first steps towards getting something done that is a priority, but is constantly avoided because of the amount of effort and/or criticism (the player set and all projects associated with its expansion).
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

MerlinX420 wrote:
Wombat wrote:Priorities for tA art:

I think you have people on that atm. I kinda got back late to help with this but I think someone mentioned needing a new npc still.

Sadly no, we dont have enought people who work on the Graveyard NPC, every help is welcome.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: **Read First Before New Art** tA Art Priorities

Post by Wombat »

Graveyard Inn Update: The NPC art finished as well as it xml. Testing and review is all that is left.

- Crypt tilesets is a priority for the Graveyard Inn release so the Reaper quest can use it.

- Skipy is doing a great job with the crypt monsters and I also believe we will have "The Lost" skeleton mage monster with the crypt, in addition to the Spinning Scythe and the Reaper.

- Skipy, again, has also created "Death's Hand" a rod that will shoot an area of effect ammo, which will be a reward for completing the Reaper quest.

- The NPC cage still needs to be done and can be used on any variety of quests, including the Reaper quest and is included in the Graveyard Inn release.

- Skipy is also working on what I call the "Spelunker Set" which is the candle hat with accompanying armor. Cave exploration armor is a nice add to the game and I hope to see it complete for the Graveyard Inn.

- Various artists also have created the potential for a mix-match armor set or simply a variety of armor and helmets that can be offered within the Graveyard Inn. These would enhance the potential enjoyment of this release, but is optional.

Edited: xml update for graveyard inn npcs, it is complete, though is still pending tests.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: **Read First Before New Art** tA Art Priorities

Post by Wombat »

We are entering the testing phase for graveyard inn + crypt art.

The following equipment will be used: Assassin equipment, spelunker equipment, magic ring crafting, death's hand, reaper's blade. Other equipment may also be added. We need scripts for all NPCs/Quests that will give these items. NPC xml will also be tested soon to make sure they work. Kaster and I are working on the NPC scripts. Argul on maps.

If we run into any issues that need resolved with art, we will return here and request changes.

For Nivalis, we have begun efforts, using arikel's snowland tileset for tmw-ufb. Argul and Reid on maps. I'd also like to see arikel's lava cave tileset used as a home for the lizard and another place for the terranite, so those that would rather avoid a pvp zone can. However, it's mob difficulty will favor 90+ parties, similar to the western half of the graveyard. For the rest of the snowland other than 019-1 and 020-1, it will be 70-80+. New equipment here will include "Order of Ice" equipment (Wizard hat, Quarter staff), a return of the furquest and a few other additions. Chef's visor helmet can also come in this release, as an example of other things.

The Wizard's tower will not be considered for work efforts until we resolve some balance issues.