Player-set 1.5

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Player-set 1.5

Post by Wombat »

Below is the most completed player set expansion.

Problems with it: Female expanded set needs the white removed, needs to be properly aligned and polearm attack frames added. Female needs to have its side animations mirrored. Both need to have the magic casting frames fixed to where the arms are consistent (either up or down). The pole in the polearm attack needs to be removed. Both need shading consistent with the current player-set.

Others have also voiced what they don't like about it: The one and two handed attack frames might not have the feet positioned in a way that is desired, the magic casting frames themselves might not be ideal. There might be more criticisms beyond what I mention here.

Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: Player-set 1.5

Post by Merlin »

I think Modanung did quite alot of work on expanding the playerset unfortunately some of his best work got criticized to a dead state.
I really like his sword animation:

Also while playing a fork i noticed they had an axe animation. I don't know what animation it was useing and haven't thru the server specific updates to find it yet. But I found the Axe animation worked well for the weapon. I will see what else I can dig up about this. I recommended that people who want to work on this look for all the relative posts and see what has been done or attempted in the past.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i have to ask, how will magic casting be handled if the player is moving when they cast?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

yourmistakes wrote:i have to ask, how will magic casting be handled if the player is moving when they cast?
Can players attack when they are moving?
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Ok quick check. This is a rough hack, just looking of idea on the movement. Attack starts on the back of right leg with sword over the right side.
Untitled1.gif
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think when you drop some of the middle frames the attack will look more intense and also save some work for equipment artists.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

the white was bugging me...heres a 1 min fix to get the ball rolling
-------------skipy
Attachments
player_female_base2_1.png
player_female_base2_1.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Now the transparent edges are lost.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

Wombat wrote:
yourmistakes wrote:i have to ask, how will magic casting be handled if the player is moving when they cast?
with the 4144 patch, players can cast while moving, but all players must stop for a split second to attack
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A good approach to animation is to do the start and finish positions first. Then when you are happy with those, you fill in the blanks only as much as absolutely necessary.

Are we going to have motion trailing for weapons on TMW-eA content or not? This affects quite some things in animation design.
This message used to be meaningful.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

yourmistakes wrote:
Wombat wrote:
with the 4144 patch, players can cast while moving, but all players must stop for a split second to attack
O'rly? I'll amend my statement then. We won't create moving magic animation frames. It is a client hack that enables casting magic while moving rather than necessarily the intention of game development. This doesn't mean it is bad, especially if others wanted to create movement magic casting frames and figured out how to link magic casting movement xml. This won't be a priority for this player-set expansion.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Two handed. Feedback please.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Please use a transparent background with your png images and make a gif animated image to show proof of movement. It is easier to see the flaws in the movement by making the gif, so others can make suggestions on which frame(s) may need correction. Non-transparent backgrounds help to highlight the image, but also makes it difficult for others to make corrective alterations. TMW also only accepts transparent backgrounds as a final copy.

Overall, it looks like a step forward.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

You give me http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=6344 and then come back with that?

Nice.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

This was a compilation of stava's previous work, not my work. I did nothing but erase lines and words to make it easier for myself or other artists to take it on. I'm giving you suggestions on how to move forward. You requested feedback and I can't give you feedback without proof of animation or a transparency with your work so I can test it and see how it operates. Please make your next attempt with a transparent background.