reaper

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: reaper

Post by Rotonen »

How about a more violent of a vortex into which it collapses upon its death?
This message used to be meaningful.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:looks great, though would it be possible for like only the bones to explode and disappear, leaving the cape to crumple/float to the ground?

Also I got an updated version of the config files that added in the lightning attack and a shadow. The first thing I noticed was a layering problem, where the player is above the lightning attack if the reaper is attacking down at him. Not much can be done about this for now, I will see if there is anything I can do. One other thing about the lightning, it doesn't reach the player or goes past the player, because of the fixed length.

One small detail became noticeable when I added the shadow. For all the frames with the reaper's back, the cape is a bit shorter than side or front view. The rest are about 77 pixels from top to bottom, the ones from the back are only about 67 pixels.

Well the best way to notice what I mean is to see it all in the client. I zipped all the files again. Just copy them stright to your tmwdata folder and overite the originals. Then go find a maggot to fight, its animations will be replaced with the reaper's.
----only the bones to explode and disappear, leaving the cape to crumple is good..but not sure on the floating to the ground (maybe to much like jack-o imo)ill mess with it more..

-----67 pixel ---> 77 on the back will be no prob..

a layering problem, where the player is above the lightning attack if the reaper is attacking down at him. fixed length.
-----------only thing i can think of that may fix it is to have the "lighting-spell" work with the attack-lighting(may not be worth doing)....or it can be scrapped and do a ball of hate attack??

-----testing on my server is undo able as of now (i think i messed it up some how) i will be fixing it in the coming weeks ..but for now its dead..so i really really really appreciate your help and testing on this way more then you know :oops: :mrgreen:
Rotonen wrote:How about a more violent of a vortex into which it collapses upon its death?
----- bones to explode and disappear and the rest to burn up in a violent vortex--i will expand on the idea ...is there a particle-effect that mite help on this??if so awesome!! if not no big woop...

lol back to work----------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

here is a idea ..
if the zombies die and you see there "?mana/soul?" fly up in the air...where dose it go...for now it dont mater ...but if the reaper has power over the "lost?mana/soul?" after one has died and become lost...it becomes his or at leest he can attack others with the life force of the lost dead...

here is a way it could look like (from parts of zombie sprite)
some thing like this may be a good way to have the reaper die as well.....maybe the lost souls over come the reaper..
tell me what you think ...
ill work on the rest of what needs to be done--------------skipy
Attachments
attack-reeper-souls-part-1.png
attack-reeper-souls-part-1.png (26.54 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Skipy,

From what you said above I got an idea for how the boss fight can be enhanced. What if every time a zombie/summon dies, the reaper regains a small bit of hp. It might make players think twice about killing off the henchmen and so make the fight different from the usual systematic genocides.

About lightning attack: I was thinking maybe this could be done procedurally and handled as a special case, so that it can be drawn on top of all other layers when appropriate (see fig 1 and 2 below). This could let the target square be variable distance from the boss (see fig 3 below to see why this needs to be done). For now I guess leave it as is. As an interesting note, in fig 1 I forgot to set the y offset, so that it looks like the bolt 'branches are coming from the reaper's hands and the lightning ball is what hits the player. I left it like that in the pic just to see if anyone thought It might be better than when the attack starts as a ball and then ends with the branched bolts. Also the player is standing beneath the reaper and unseen.
Problems with the current lightning attack
Problems with the current lightning attack
lightning.png (68.16 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
About jitter in front walk frames: I added a gif so you could see the problem. Notice the harsh transition between poses. The back walk has a symmetric middle pose, so the transition is smother. Also notice the different lengths in the cape
The side to side jitter motion in front walk frames
The side to side jitter motion in front walk frames
front.gif (5.57 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
About the death: I didn't know the cape floating down was already done. Maybe the first thing to happen is the cape disintegrate leaving the bones, then bones burn up. After the bones burn, nothing left.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec--this may fix the jitter in front and back walk frames as well as the the different lengths in the cape...

"the bolt 'branches are coming from the reaper's hands and the lightning ball is what hits the player."
----that mite be the way to go ...(imo)it looks better this way..

"cape disintegrate leaving the bones, then bones burn up. After the bones burn, nothing left."
----that may work as well... ill put some thing together maybe...cape burn up and bones fall and disintegrate?

ill start work on death frames(burning)
thanks agen-----------------skipy
Attachments
monster-reeper-working.png
monster-reeper-working.png (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this is only a test ...it needs lots of shaping and a other color maybe more...
this is cloak burning ...after this maybe the skull drops and shatters?

-----------skipy
Attachments
reeper-death-working.gif
reeper-death-working.gif (16.95 KiB) Viewed 3029 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

The updated sheet looks awesome! The animation frames are all fixed. I don't know how you do it, I tried to fix it myself but failed. Keep up the good work.

The death frames look like its really coming along well. The idea of the skull falling down is better than something else exploding/burning a second time. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the finish.

Just a quick note, there were a few holes in the new down walk frame you added. I don't know if it was intentional but it looked weird so I filled them in. Get the new file before adding in the death sequence. ALTERNATELY, do the death sequence separate and I can add it into the file myself - which ever is easier for you.
Attachments
Just filled in a few transparent pixels in the new down walk frame you added
Just filled in a few transparent pixels in the new down walk frame you added
monster-reaper.png (33.43 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i hope it all fits ....no falling skull(to many frames to do right (imo))..
but this should work ...let me know if i need to fix it or not..

thanks for filling my holes :lol: (just over looked)...and im vary happy it all works...

i needs sleep--------------skipy
Attachments
reeper-death-working.png
reeper-death-working.png (62.61 KiB) Viewed 2980 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

This has got to be one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. Points to skipy for extra sweeet.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

here is the lightning flipped so the ball part hits the player....may need clean up..or may work as is ???
feel free to play around with it and tell me what you think....

now for sleep lol....----------skipy
Wombat wrote:This has got to be one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. Points to skipy for extra sweeet.
thanks wombat...i try to please :mrgreen: now for sleep lol....----------skipy
Attachments
monster-reeper -lighting1-.png
monster-reeper -lighting1-.png (18.79 KiB) Viewed 2970 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

this looks awesome. keep up the good work skipy, it's all very metal.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

sorry for not replying right away.

The death animation works great. Any horizontal or vertical movements, such as the skull falling, can be done in xml. I think it looks great without falling.

About lightning: I am still working on a solution. You don't need to worry about it. The problem is how to treat it like a projectile, so it disappears once it hits the target. Since this is a ranged attack, it can be 1 square, 2 s, ...

The last thing it will need is some sfx, but that is in a diff forum.

I guess you are done Skipy, great work!
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

yeah!!!!!!!.....done is a good word to see lol (if more can be done on my end let me know)..

im working on the sorty for the quest and drops ...im not posting it till i have more on it...and not posted here...hmmm i mite not post at all...maybe pm it to Wombat or on request for others....

:mrgreen: :D thank you so much for all your help nmaligec.... :mrgreen: :D

---------------------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
ZidgelT
Peon
Peon

Post by ZidgelT »

skipy wrote:just a start ...im stuck on the arms and how it should attack ?????????????????????

any subjection?
i always thought of a reaper as a evil dead tree like creature with eyes and a mouth
ZidgelT
Peon
Peon

Post by ZidgelT »

skipy wrote:i hope it all fits ....no falling skull(to many frames to do right (imo))..
but this should work ...let me know if i need to fix it or not..

thanks for filling my holes :lol: (just over looked)...and im vary happy it all works...

i needs sleep--------------skipy
that looks really cool though