[WIP] Crypt indoor

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

argul
Novice
Novice

[WIP] Crypt indoor

Post by argul »

Well I just started with the crypt indoor.

This is very early alpha stage ;-)

There is a map file and tileset attached.
The Tileset will be a mixture of arena, woodland_indoor
and some special stuff.

The style I am planning to use is Romanesque art.
(you may have look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesque_art and for the pictures
look in the german or espanol article of
the wikipedia as well

Since I like mapping more than tileset creation maybe someone
would like to help me with the tileset.
What is needed in the tileset (IMHO):
- some kind of bench (like these in woodland_indoor, but rotated 90 degree)
- more candles (can we have a shimmering candle light?)
- a serious wall, that means, a bit more creation and changes in
comparison to this wall i
merged from arena floor and the wall of the crypt outside.
- maybe a variation of the arena floor circle?
to make curves that bend the other direction.
- some kind of book or ritual stuff which can be put at Altar (or Opferstein,
or whatever religion there is inside the crypt)
- some more statues and figures made of stone
(like in arena, but in different styles, maybe just a rotation)

Do not expect to much, as I said very early alpha stage...
Pjotr
Attachments
crypt_inside.png.zip
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
---
argul
Novice
Novice

Re: [WIP] Crypt indoor

Post by argul »

ok was just playing around so here is another proposal
Attachments
crypt_inside.png
crypt_inside.png (141.62 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
---
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What you used as a floor tile is actually a wall tile. The lightning is way off and the contrast is too high. Strong changes in brightness tell the eye "obstacle" - that's why walkable tiles should have less contrast than obstructing tiles. Take a look at this demo map I created. Which tiles look like the walkable tiles? The low contrast ones or the high contrast ones?
contrastmap.png
contrastmap.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
I think you should rather request new tiles in the graphic development forum instead of abusing existing tiles in ways they are not meant to be used.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Aren't these the same tiles that are used as floor tiles in the Arena?
Current character is "Abolish".
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Yes, these floor tiles are the same as in the Arena Tileset.
I thought about recoloring them(make the darkgray lines a bit lighter, so that there is not such a contrast as Crush mentioned.)

I am not sure what kind of floor should be used in a crypt.
IMHO these tiles are quite good for that, when they get recolored.

Pjotr
---
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Please post a [REQ] thread for the recolor of these tiles on graphical development.

IMO the mappers can and should request stuff they need from graphical development if they encounter problems.
This message used to be meaningful.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I did request this Crypt using the arena tiles, so I take responsibility. This project should be put on pause until tiles are made for the floor. We don't have a ton of artists skilled at making tilesets at the moment and many are taken up on the current priorities. If a fast recolor of this set can work, that would be great, but I fear it would take more effort to adjust the problem.

The player-set comes before new tiles if a recolor can't work, so it might be a few months before anything can be done to change this problem.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Wombat wrote:I did request this Crypt using the arena tiles, so I take responsibility. This project should be put on pause until tiles are made for the floor. We don't have a ton of artists skilled at making tilesets at the moment and many are taken up on the current priorities. If a fast recolor of this set can work, that would be great, but I fear it would take more effort to adjust the problem.

The player-set comes before new tiles if a recolor can't work, so it might be a few months before anything can be done to change this problem.
if you want to pm me what you hand in mind i can give it a try....i probably will pm you soon with info and some ideas i have for the Crypt it as the reaper 's home(if thats ok)...
.. the player set is some thing i may not have the skill to do..(imo) so this maybe be good to try...

------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

As stated on graphics development, this Crypt is now part of the priority graveyard inn release. We will need these tilesets done before it is brought into the game so argul can make the map for it. Someone is drafting a script, someone on the reaper xml, skipy has done the art for the reaper...everything is pulling together much faster than I expected. Thank you everyone for helping :D

As for what is required for the Inn tilesets, I mainly need indoor walls, floors and objects for the crypt. It might be a while for all of this, so we'll juggle around with rough drafts until we get to where we need to be.

Skipy, if you want to PM me any rough work on this, feel free. We are also discussing this on #tmw-crc (irc.freenode.net) which is french language friendly (anglophone/francophone guild chat).
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

argul,

How possible would it be to get the boss fight map done with placeholder tiles? I just want the basic layout to test the reaper fight on. When everything else gets done the graphics can be updated and a final map with same layout can replace the test one.

EDIT
ok maybe just a rough first draft. I am sure some changes will need to be made to accomodate the reaper's behaviour during the fight.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

nmaligec wrote:argul,

How possible would it be to get the boss fight map done with placeholder tiles? I just want the basic layout to test the reaper fight on. When everything else gets done the graphics can be updated and a final map with same layout can replace the test one.

EDIT
ok maybe just a rough first draft. I am sure some changes will need to be made to accomodate the reaper's behaviour during the fight.
Ok i'll give it a try.
---
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Any update on the crypt level? I guess there was a bit of a snag with the tileset, just wondering if everything got figured out in the end.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Tileset came together decently. The only real snag was me using unsorted stuff, I kinda rushed back into this stuff and didn't get properly set up. I just made some additions to help with the mapping. Should provide us with a decent crypt.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Hey folks,

please have an opinion on that:
You enter at the bottom left, in the middle of the two candles.

When you reached the right end, and you go down the long stairs,
maybe in the middle of the stairs you get warped to 27-4
where the reaper will catch your lost soul :-D

Pjotr
---
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

why there a white point at the corner of the entrance hall? Also the stairs at the left look a bit strange.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight