[WIP] Dragoon Helm (for lack of a better name)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] Dragoon Helm (for lack of a better name)

Post by Merlin »

While looking around at FF stuff to get some inspiration I started making a helm that looks like Kain's from FF2 US.
I'm testing it still and would like some feedback. Trying to avoid dead black outlines, but keep it dark. idk if my shading is dead on but it doesn't look to bad.
I think my side views are a little to small. (I was using the fancy hat to test. Plan on making my own XML's for items now that I have the tool to do it.)
Last edited by Merlin on 28 Aug 2010, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Dragoon Helm (for lack of a better name)

Post by Crush »

It looks pretty nice so far, but I am not sure how it works with hair. Maybe you should make it a bit bigger. The details might look more interesting when you use a slightly different color shade for them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:It looks pretty nice so far, but I am not sure how it works with hair. Maybe you should make it a bit bigger. The details might look more interesting when you use a slightly different color shade for them.
Yeah it's a little to small with the hair in the way. Details are really rough. I use to much dark-dark gray. Also I think I need to make the rear view taller. Seems to short in the back or it could just be my placement.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

In my opinion, it looks nice, but I could see it looking better with a slight hint of purple. Of course, I'm far from an artist pixel or otherwise, so don't take my word as knowledgeable haha :P.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

mistergrey wrote:In my opinion, it looks nice, but I could see it looking better with a slight hint of purple. Of course, I'm far from an artist pixel or otherwise, so don't take my word as knowledgeable haha :P.
Why not? You have eyes and can make an opinion. You don't need to be a artist to suggest things. Maybe I could cycle in some more purplish blue and change the tone of it. Most of it is too dark. I'll get a slightly modified one up. (actully the Dark Knight helm based off Cecil's would be a nice one that was purplish and I have a odd wip that I only have a front view done of.) I am always open to any suggestion on my work.
MerlinX420
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Just a comment:

I've played this game. Fabulous!!!

And for help the artist, here a link of the new FF IV in another plataform:

http://na.square-enix.com/ff4/
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i really like it...alot ...only thing to make it better is a full armor set.. :wink:
----------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I was thinking of that myself skipy. The rest of the armor would take a bit just me on it. I worked on changing the colors and the size. (Position issues will be worked out before then. I am taking the lazy approach to test my stuff atm.) I kinda have a rough re-color resized preview of the front view here:

As I hack up and redraw the other frames I will recolor them. Just want some feedback on the coloring. The purple/grey combo looks like something completely different. Also I did change some things. If the color's seem alright I should be able to finish it up pretty quick. I still lack the shading skills imo.

I have a pretty good idea and theme to this armor. It's looking kinda evil. I was thinking about a plate chest that was part ribcage/skele with armor plating on it.
Maybe some evil spikes on the shoulders and gloves. I'm kicking around names for it in my head. Any suggestions might make my mind up for me. :)
Last edited by Merlin on 28 Aug 2010, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
MerlinX420
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

"I still lack the shading skills imo." not true imo

here a 2 min re-work for shading ...all i did was 2 layer ...blur one ..drop the opacity to 50% and drop on the original .. (imo)-fast and easy way to get soft edges((((only works sometimes)))))....and not sure if it worked this time LOL...but here it is to seen what i mean..

color idd keep the first way (imo)...

keep it up!

---------------------skipy
Attachments
helm.......blue.png
helm.......blue.png (5.37 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
helm.......blue.xcf.gz
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

You are breaking the style with existing equipment with that blur.
This message used to be meaningful.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Rotonen wrote:You are breaking the style with existing equipment with that blur.
:oops: oh ok...good to know...im still lerning ...thank for the info..

------------------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

skipy wrote:"I still lack the shading skills imo." not true imo

here a 2 min re-work for shading ...all i did was 2 layer ...blur one ..drop the opacity to 50% and drop on the original .. (imo)-fast and easy way to get soft edges((((only works sometimes)))))....and not sure if it worked this time LOL...but here it is to seen what i mean..

color idd keep the first way (imo)...

keep it up!

---------------------skipy
:) ty. yhea Tmw pixal art isn't soft edged it's actually kinda dark edged just dont use pure black for outlines. That blurs it. Idk if you understood what i meant about shading. It's not the blending of the color it's the way colors are displayed at different light angels if that made any sense.

And they said messing around in GEO Paint on my C-64 was a waste of time...
:)
MerlinX420
ZidgelT
Peon
Peon

Post by ZidgelT »

MerlinX420 wrote:While looking around at FF stuff to get some inspiration I started making a helm that looks like Kain's from FF2 US.
I'm testing it still and would like some feedback. Trying to avoid dead black outlines, but keep it dark. idk if my shading is dead on but it doesn't look to bad.
I think my side views are a little to small. (I was using the fancy hat to test. Plan on making my own XML's for items now that I have the tool to do it.)
head-fancyhat.png

looks kinda like a wolf's head
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Due to the helmet being a near identical recolor to art copyrighted with an incompatible license from the one we have, the "Dragoon Helm" will now be rejected. With GPL, we must cite our work and the helmet seems to come from the source below. Any work built on top or altering the dragoon helm can not be used either for this reason. This means none of the above helmets can be used.
Attachments
009-Lancer01.png
009-Lancer01.png (4.95 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

close but not where I got it.
w/e I'm scrapping all my tmw projects anyways just INCASE I didn't do something by the book.
After this screw up anything I do will not be accepted anyways so why even try.

When I got back to TMW stuff I had alot of junk mismatched and mis-sorted. Most of them half WIP's or outlines for works. Half done stuff and re-edits all over the place. Turns out I misplaced alot of stuff. The floor thing caused me to audit my working directory and some questionable things out. This helm being one of them because I couldn't remember if I did it or if I ripped it. (Considering most of this stuff was done or started well over 2 years ago it's possible to forget.)
MerlinX420