Magic spells graphics

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

degen
Novice
Novice

Magic spells graphics

Post by degen »

Ok i saw there was some in the "my old junkies..." thread but why not make one that people understand is for magic spells.

I had said i wouldnt do anything more work untill i was done with some tasks that i had taken plus some projects in school and exams (damn them for disturbing my tmw time) but as you can notice i couldnt make myself not touch Tile studio and gimp 8) especialy not after me and my friend who is playing this game as well sat down adn talked about magic for .. yeah i think it was 3 hours :D

ok this i did after *coughs* trying to make a start frame for fire and flying and hitting frames the start flying frames went well but the hitting part ... i jsut oculdnt figure it out so ... judge them with that in mind please point out likers and lets "forget" the bad ones ;)

*note* the last one didnt get in but its "flatter" and a bit higher and more burning then the last one*note*

ooh hehe i cant animate gifs yet :oops:
so please someone that knows either grant me the knowledge or plesae do animate them :P it looked cool on Tilestudio but i couldnt save it as a gif animation :(
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I don't know in tilestudio, but in GIMP it's pretty easy, just create a layer for every frame and add after the layer name between brackets the delay between frames and save as a gif.

This one should help you a bit: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

is there already a specifications how magical effects should be made?

(Number of animation phases, sprite size and so on)
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

I think i saw that there should atleast be 10 frames still need some more (atm at my brothers palce working on the website, damn i cant lay my hands off of tmw :P )

and well what did you think of its look? do they look "ok" atleast the 4 first frames the *coughs* others went haywire or soemthing :D
ooh yes i never had the time to up the last one hmm will do that when i get home tonight.

Elvenprogrammer: "aaaaah" and another "aaaaaaah" cool cool will animate them when i get home if no one else does it before me :roll:
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Beat ya to it :P

If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

haha i thought someone would :P
but its looking good right 8)
well would be glad to see your opinon as well modanung :D
and to many frames could be troublesome as well when monsters are to close... then the frames will hop to the last one right? or ...?
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Cool cool...

If people are looking for spells to make sprites for, there's the Master Spell List in the wiki you can look at: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Magic_master_list

In terms of the animation for actually casting, I've got an idea to share; I'll put up a concept of it as soon as I've got time to make it.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

To be honest I think it's a bit simple and boring for a special effect. It needs more power, even for a simple spell.

On a side-note: I'd love to see particle effects to be used in the future, not only in spells.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

On a side-note: I'd love to see particle effects to be used in the future, not only in spells.
Yep, what's the opinion of devs? I think there is no reference in the wiki, maybe I missed it.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

We didn't talk about it iirc, but I'm sure someone will think on adding a particle engine as a nice adventure. I could be interested in it as well, but you know this is a very low priority feature.
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

either way i can promise you that i am not the only one that _really_ wants to see some spells ingame or atleast one so you can go int and not bound by sword or bow.

Well putting that aside *push push*
back to that otehr thing mentioned...
what in the name of sprite god is that? O_O

ooh and for the ending of fireball i didnt come up with anything for that part >_< thats why it just bluuurrffss out like that :P personaly i dont like the end pixel and you have only seen the one before the last one :?
and the really last one is worse then the one your seeing now
on the other hand if you can come up with a way to show me how you think the spell should end i dont mind. and i persoanly think that a spell should grow with level since its a level based game. and the first level spell should look puny ... thats the way it has always been :)
even tho it should still look cool, explaining before someone jumps my throat: puny does not = uncool
puny is puny a small worthless (damage wise) spell
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

degen wrote:
what in the name of sprite god is that? O_O
you don't create images for spell effects, instead you basically just tell the game "generate 200 coloured sparkles at the point of impact". they had some pretty cool effects like that in zelda four swords+ (fire/smoke, mostly), so i'd -really- love to see that implemented.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Yea, I loved fiddling around with the 'Emitter' class in UnrealEd 2. :)
I still think my fire looks way better then theirs. :P
biggeruniverse
Peon
Peon

Post by biggeruniverse »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:We didn't talk about it iirc, but I'm sure someone will think on adding a particle engine as a nice adventure. I could be interested in it as well, but you know this is a very low priority feature.
Gah! It's so tempting!
We are on the outer reaches of someone else's universe
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

so in other words we with that we only need to make frames for spells while flying and casting? that is animate while:
"cncentrating" on spell -> spell takes off -> spell is flying
and where impact would be done by using that flame/smoke engine thingy you said?

am i right or?
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green