More interactive combat idea

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Acegi
Novice
Novice

More interactive combat idea

Post by Acegi »

This addresses a few issues so it would be nice if some devs could point out any realism flaws with this idea.

With the development of other clients in particular the spell-to-shortcut idea implemented by 4144 it becomes possible now to instantly incant a spell with minimal keyboard input. What I propose is that a new "intelligence" based combat system is created that makes use of this. In particular to introduce new "spells" or keyboard shortcut actions. This will mean changing or creating a new action that is not 100% real accurate or giving these new actions a chance to fail.

What we have now is a simple point and click or target and attack action for combat. It is quite feasible to create new methods for attacks or even other effect actions.

Examples:

Currently what we have is Player A attacks a monster with a basic melee action.
The new idea would be Player A attacks the monster with a melee attack but when he/she sees the monster about to do their attack action they can instantly press the shortcut to send the command action/"spell" in the chat tab to do a "Block" action to minimise or completely nullify incoming damage. This will use up some mana for each use.
Similarly, Player A is being attacked by archer Player B so Player A presses the shortcut to use a deliberate "dodge" action to increase the evasion for 1 attack. Again this will use up some mana for each use.

These defensive actions mean that actually the defence % values for armour+shield items should drop so that players must deliberately focus much more points to vitality to only be hurt by 1HP damage by most monsters.

Another situation with melee fighters:
I suggested this in another topic but briefly. Int-warrior Player A could expend all their mana as a single attack action to be used for damage against Player B. This can be explained as a highly focus demanding attack.
Alternative, a focus/use up all mana attack that does AOE around the player like a cleaving/martial arts pole attack (think of Neo :lol: ).
For ranged players:
Another focus based attack where the archer can have an extended range or do a straight line AOE attack using up all/% of mana for the single attack.

AOE attacks should be implementable as we've seen with raining arrows.

Benefits:
  • Lets botters continue to a lesser degree since they'll be able to still use these actions (no one can deny it can't be programmed in) but they'll have to focus much more points into vitality than before minimising their damage->exp gained+chance of getting drops.
  • Players can by focusing more on int be able to time blocks+dodges so they can keep the vit they have and still have a chance to do other spells as well as actions too.
  • Increasing intelligence also boosts survivability in terms of M. Defence
  • Opens a completely new way of playing which is more fun
Cons:
  • More time required developing this idea less on other things
  • More complexity in balancing the game
  • Still allows botting to some degree
I am putting this idea out as a quite serious addition to the game and would like some constructive input from the devs as to it's reality and potential.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Re: More interactive combat idea

Post by yourmistakes »

this idea is too good to make it into the game
Mr Anonymous
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Anonymous »

yourmistakes wrote:this idea is too good to make it into the game
aren't all the good ideas kept away? such as the weapons (which are not released), monsters and armor?
We are Anonymous.
we are legion.
we do not forgive, we do not forget.
we can be horrible, senseless, uncaring monsters.
we are still able to deliver.
Expect us.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Mr Anonymous wrote:
aren't all the good ideas kept away? such as the weapons (which are not released), monsters and armor?
Feel free to write quests for the new equipment and stats for the new monsters. Or pay me to.
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

So is this idea deemed as too time consuming to be worth implementing?
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Yes. tA contributions have other priorities. If you want to put the time and effort into it, clone eathena, eathena-data and tmwdata and start practicing a big fix. Once you have it right, make a git repository and others can play-test and review.

I'd prefer your efforts go into other areas though. We have many things to do if we are to keep cranking out tA content.

Talk to me on IRC if you'd like to get involved in tA content. Help is wanted.
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Mr Anonymous wrote:
Feel free to write quests for the new equipment and stats for the new monsters. Or pay me to.
I'm getting to that...

Just got interrupted by a few tileset projects. :)
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?