[FND] Spinning Scythe

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

[FND] Spinning Scythe

Post by nmaligec »

This will be used for as a summoned mob in the reaper quest. I wanted to simulate a special attack for the reaper attacking with its trademark scythe, but not take up the default attack animation/slot. Well here is the basic motion (25fps):
blur.gif
blur.gif (15.58 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
This is the non blur version, which is slowed down so people can point out any basic problems. Note that the angle is 45 and light is from SW. I hope I am close to the metal colours used, though I doubt much is noticeable when the fps is higher.
noblur.gif
noblur.gif (6.28 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
I got it going in a local test server going at 25fps, with a shadow, and it looks pretty decent. It might be a bit large, but I was trying to keep it at a realistic length compared to the reaper sprite. Let me know if it should be shrunk down or if its ok as approx 80 px wide.

I still have to do a simple death sequence.

If it does not pass muster, I would appreciate a pixel artist to go over it and touch it up where needed.
Last edited by nmaligec on 01 Feb 2011, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Spinning Scythe

Post by skipy »

yeeeeahhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: you really did awesome.....the only thing it may need to make it pop out ...is some really really light color on the blade to show passing of light ( really really really light color) imo ..it may be nit done as is.....
really really cool ..
-----------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

idk how the vector graphics would fit well in tmw. I think they need to be re-faced by a pixel artist.
Size seems alright. This is a fantasy world thou there is NO reason that the scythe has to same the same size when casted as a spell. :)
Maybe slightly reducing the size might not be a bad idea considering the map that this fight is going to be on is planned to be rather small I think.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

ok here is my last attempt at getting it to match. I flattened the shading on the snaith/handle and brightened the blade (as skipy suggested).
scythe.gif
scythe.gif (15.39 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
The brighter blade looks much better when spinning. It somehow even makes it look faster (though same fps).
NOTE: IE seems to display the animation at much lower fps, Firefox displays at correct fps.

Again here is the non-motion-blurred version. As you can see, I think it is closer to current game graphics. Whitout any specific criticisms, I don't know what else I should do to make it better.
noblur.gif
noblur.gif (5.92 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

wow i think its super. i could see that as a definate 'oh Chocolate Cupcake' moment the first time someone sees that coming.
sexy red bearded GM
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I have the basic death sequence done. I would like it if skipy could just add a quick flame burts on the last 4 frames (or another pixel artist, if he is busy). Ill explain the details after the png.
monster-spinning-scythe.png
monster-spinning-scythe.png (49.07 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
The last 2 rows are the death frames. The first 4 of the death frames are a slow drop to the ground (the vertical movement is done in the xml). I thought the last 4 frames could have the snaith/handle part burn away, either leaving just the blade or completely burning everything. The final frame leave the result (just the blade or nothing), because this frame will be displayed until the enemy is removed from the screen.

So my request is to do frames 13-15 with the burning, and have frame 16 be the completed burn. It might look good if the flames start from the center of the scythe and move out to the ends. Alternately it can start from the ends and go to the center.
Also please feel free to edit any of the other frames if you think it is needed.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:I have the basic death sequence done. I would like it if skipy could just add a quick flame burts on the last 4 frames (or another pixel artist, if he is busy). Ill explain the details after the png.
The attachment monster-spinning-scythe.png is no longer available
The last 2 rows are the death frames. The first 4 of the death frames are a slow drop to the ground (the vertical movement is done in the xml). I thought the last 4 frames could have the snaith/handle part burn away, either leaving just the blade or completely burning everything. The final frame leave the result (just the blade or nothing), because this frame will be displayed until the enemy is removed from the screen.

So my request is to do frames 13-15 with the burning, and have frame 16 be the completed burn. It might look good if the flames start from the center of the scythe and move out to the ends. Alternately it can start from the ends and go to the center.
Also please feel free to edit any of the other frames if you think it is needed.
ill give it a try...anyone feel free to do so as well...

here is my ball lightning start.....need feed back...ive been looking at this for to long (pick it back up tomorrow)...
i should have no problem with the scythe death frames..
(thay look grate btw)...

-------------------------skipy
Attachments
attack-reeper-ball-.png
attack-reeper-ball-.png (26.41 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Re: ball lightning

Post by nmaligec »

skipy, the ball lightning you did, turned out amazing! I did the xml for it and works so well with the way I planned the boss battle. I wish you could see the fight so far, its quite fun with exploding lighting and scythes flying everywhere.

I updated the sprite sheet, just to get everything lined up for the xml, so if you do any additions, use the file below. Each frame is 70px wide and 60 high. There is a blank frame at the end I need to keep, so always leave 1 blank frame if adding more frames.
Attachments
monster-ball-lightning.png
monster-ball-lightning.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i think it will work well...

i think the -scythe- is all good...if i mess with the color, it i may over do it..."some times less is more."...i did try a bit and the out come was blahh....ill give it a go if you think it needs it..

--------------------------- :mrgreen: :twisted: skipy
Attachments
monster-spinning-scythe1.png
monster-spinning-scythe1.png (53.06 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Having the reaper drop the cursed blade might be useful. "Cursed reaper sword", or something.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

would the cursed reaper sword use stabbing animation? I imagine it might need different sword graphics for a slightly larger blade than the short sword/dagger/bone knife. I think it is a great idea and addition to the quest.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Wombat wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:Having the reaper drop the cursed blade might be useful. "Cursed reaper sword", or something.
would the cursed reaper sword use stabbing animation? I imagine it might need different sword graphics for a slightly larger blade than the short sword/dagger/bone knife. I think it is a great idea and addition to the quest.
here is ...a idea on that ....it may or may not work/look right....its some thing to look at when thinking about it...
Attachments
drop-scythe.png
drop-scythe.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 3289 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

I think since that blade lacks the hilt it would be a nice idea to add a small quest to get one for that blade. Otherwise I like that idea since it would be a plausible drop for a monster.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Turmfalke: That is exactly what I was thinking, it would be a rare drop. If someone has it on completion of the reaper quest, Alacrius could comment on it and tell the player to go see the weapons master (is it possible to do that check with the script tools?). The weapons master would give the quest to turn the scythe blade into a wield-able sword.

Could it work as a 2h sword? I thought it could be called "The Life Razor" or just Life Razor.

Skipy: The scythe death frames work GREAT! I just have to adjust the timing in the xml to get it animating quick enough but not too quick (I am still a bit on the slow side).

Skipy, about the weapon frames: Wow that looks awsome, much better than I previously imagined! Since the scythe is 3d, do you want me to try and match the attack frames and render out a template for you? It might help with angles and shading, but I get the feeling it will require A LOT of touch up (especially adding a good outline, the built-in outlining options don't look good).
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Turmfalke: That is exactly what I was thinking, it would be a rare drop. If someone has it on completion of the reaper quest, Alacrius could comment on it and tell the player to go see the weapons master (is it possible to do that check with the script tools?). The weapons master would give the quest to turn the scythe blade into a wield-able sword.

Could it work as a 2h sword? I thought it could be called "The Life Razor" or just Life Razor.

Skipy: The scythe death frames work GREAT! I just have to adjust the timing in the xml to get it animating quick enough but not too quick (I am still a bit on the slow side).

Skipy, about the weapon frames: Wow that looks awsome, much better than I previously imagined! Since the scythe is 3d, do you want me to try and match the attack frames and render out a template for you? It might help with angles and shading, but I get the feeling it will require A LOT of touch up (especially adding a good outline, the built-in outlining options don't look good).
sweet... The scythe death frames...need one touch up to be done ...ill have up tonight...."render out a template for you?"--please please please do...would make things way easyer to make look right...

here is swords for ideas....they can all use "stab" attack....a 2 handed is undo-able as of now......but a bigger one handed stab sword is.. :mrgreen: :twisted: a combow of what you see here would rock...and im open to any ideas (one handed)..

thanks for all the help ....keep up the good work ....

-------------------------------skipy
Attachments
canadian_swords_2.png
canadian_swords_2.png (208.02 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
moriasword1.png
moriasword1.png (186.2 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido