reaper

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Re: reaper

Post by JackDeth »

ZidgelT wrote:
skipy wrote:just a start ...im stuck on the arms and how it should attack ?????????????????????

any subjection?
i always thought of a reaper as a evil dead tree like creature with eyes and a mouth

I've seen it in some games and movies like that too. But I think what they are talking about is more like The Grim Reaper. You know, Death? Big scary skeletal guy with the black robe. Runs around with a scythe claiming people's souls? That sort of thing.

I like the sprites for this. Nice work.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I am working on a spinning scythe enemy that the reaper will summon during the boss fight.

anyway here are some of the files so far.
Attachments
reaper-patch.tar
(234 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:I am working on a spinning scythe enemy that the reaper will summon during the boss fight.

anyway here are some of the files so far.
looks grate so far :twisted: :mrgreen: ..... just some thing that was in my head---->.. would it make it easier if the scythe was smaller??? hmmm anyway just some thing to think about.......keep up the good work...if you need help with pixeling it out let me know....

-------------------skipy
Attachments
rmcn135l.png
rmcn135l.png (252.12 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I updated the scythe a bit and added motion blur. It looks much better now in game. I think I will take the existing frames and color in the scythe completely black to use for a shadow.
Attachments
monster-spinning-scythe.png
monster-spinning-scythe.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:I updated the scythe a bit and added motion blur. It looks much better now in game. I think I will take the existing frames and color in the scythe completely black to use for a shadow.
wow...that is cool :twisted: 8) :twisted: ....i so cant wait to see this kill me in game...lol
so is this it ....all reaper stuff done???

-------------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A pixel artist might want to take the 3D generated scythe as a basis and trace it into proper pixel art. Currently it is heavily aliased and you can still see the polygons instead of it being nicely organicly curved (blade) in shape. Also the shading on the blade should match TMW-eA portrayal of metal.

Using 3D as a basis to get shapes and perspective right is never incorrect.
This message used to be meaningful.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

just giving it a try .....have not trimed it yet ...and i don't think it needs much of that.......i put some colors in...not many ...
and this is what it looks like .....
needs smoothing of angles???

--------------skipy
Attachments
monster-spinning-scythe.gif
monster-spinning-scythe.gif (11.07 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Smoothing out the angles resulting from the polygon primes: yes please.
This message used to be meaningful.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

About the scythe, give me a chance to update it. Since Rotonen prefers anti-aliasing, I'll adjust the rendering options. I originally thought that the aliasing made it match game graphics. Give me a day or so to play around with it and if Rotonen still doesn't like the results (I can also easily remove visual evidence of polygons), then we will need a pixel artist to touch it up. Also on a side note, it seems animated gifs have a max fps so the scythe spins much slower than in the client.

As for the reaper I think it is done. Depending on how I manage to implement its ranged attack, I might ask skipy to add a small ball of energy over the 5th and 6th attack frames for up and down and on the corresponding frames for the sides. But don't do anything yet, I have to figure out exactly what it should look like.

I thought it best to start a centralized thread about the reaper quest in the content section.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=11297
Since the reaper pretty much done and this thread is hitting 8 pages, maybe we should continue talk of the scythe there or start a new thread in the graphics forum.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:About the scythe, give me a chance to update it. Since Rotonen prefers anti-aliasing, I'll adjust the rendering options. I originally thought that the aliasing made it match game graphics. Give me a day or so to play around with it and if Rotonen still doesn't like the results (I can also easily remove visual evidence of polygons), then we will need a pixel artist to touch it up. Also on a side note, it seems animated gifs have a max fps so the scythe spins much slower than in the client.

As for the reaper I think it is done. Depending on how I manage to implement its ranged attack, I might ask skipy to add a small ball of energy over the 5th and 6th attack frames for up and down and on the corresponding frames for the sides. But don't do anything yet, I have to figure out exactly what it should look like.

I thought it best to start a centralized thread about the reaper quest in the content section.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=11297
Since the reaper pretty much done and this thread is hitting 8 pages, maybe we should continue talk of the scythe there or start a new thread in the graphics forum.
"About the scythe, give me a chance to update it."--- no prob, its all you till you say other...i think you have the picture in your head better then i ...i just got excited...and needed to see how it looked...(i use gif for this because its easy to do ..and see fast)..

------ add a small ball of energy over the 5th and 6th attack frames for up and down and on the corresponding frames for the sides.-------seems you got some ideas to work out ....."if" you need me let me know...and thats "IF" ...i will do as needed..but it seem you have got it on the run :mrgreen:and it looks grate ..... .....keep up what your doing ..(.it rocks my face off :twisted:) .....good luck...yell if you need me..
----------------------------------------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Sorry skipy I should apologize. Rereading my post, I see I might come off as a bit of a jerk. I just wanted to save you time. With all the projects you are doing, I felt bad that I bothered you so much with little things on the reaper. I didn't want to seem pushy (especially when I am new to tmw project) and asked you to do even more.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Sorry skipy I should apologize. Rereading my post, I see I might come off as a bit of a jerk. I just wanted to save you time. With all the projects you are doing, I felt bad that I bothered you so much with little things on the reaper. I didn't want to seem pushy (especially when I am new to tmw project) and asked you to do even more.
more? i get bored easy...and it helps my brain if i jump around on projects..keeps me from getting tunnel-vision ,so bring it ....no need to apologize ...from where i see things i may have stepped on your toes a bit......and the" little things on the reaper" is why it is 99% done ....i enjoy working with you and feel you communicate well with me .....enough said :mrgreen:on that....

About the scythe---i was thinking(not to make more work) it may need its own death frame as well.....(smoky like with the reaper maybe)...

and there are some things (not ready now) i could use some help with...if your up for it :wink: :twisted:

---------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

OOO!! In that case, Wombat gave me a GREAT idea in irc yesterday. He suggested making a 'bomb' summon for the reaper, that would use the bee explosion skill. I figured this would be the perfect thing to spice up the boss fight.

The idea is to make Ball Lighting. It will home in on its target and then explode. No attack, just walk animation and a death animation which simulates the lightning explosion burst. I was thinking you could rework the reaper lightning sheet you did. It just needs 1 direction for a walk sequence of like 4 frames or more frames if it will make it look cooler. I will use the walk sequence for all the other actions except death. As mentioned the death should be a giant burst of lightning from the center as the ball explodes .

Here is some inspiration, probably from 1:40-1:50 is the best view of the arcing effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFEMwtgpqY
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

nmaligec wrote: Here is some inspiration, probably from 1:40-1:50 is the best view of the arcing effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFEMwtgpqY
Is it generator of Tesla? :roll:
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

not this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMd_lXpP ... re=related

this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMHXkht5e0

4 frames should do good of it moving
and maybe a simple build up (growing ) frame or 3 before it fly out to hit player??

------------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido