stat bonuses from rings

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

stat bonuses from rings

Post by yourmistakes »

Wombat has asked me to create this topic to give the community a chance to come up with good ideas for the stat bonuses that rings might give. i've already come up with a few simple ones, with help from Jero, but basic +5 to stats is a little too easy. i'm sure we can come up with much better.
here's what got so far:
Dimond: the hardest element known to man, this ring will give +5 vit to increase defense.
Ruby: red is typically associated with anger, so +5 str seems right
Emerald: green is a color associated with luck, so +5 luck
Sapphire: blue is associated with intelligence, so +5 to that
Amethyst: +5 dex
Topaz: +5 agi

it's worth noting that these are only examples, preferably we can come up with something more original than this, even if we do need something to give a bonus to each stat.
samesun
Peon
Peon

Re: stat bonuses from rings

Post by samesun »

i think those are great suggestions! maybe i didnt waste my money on that ring after all...
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Okay, I'm gonna make a few small suggestions.

Since concentration potions (the ones that speed up your attack) give you a purple particle effect, why not make Amethyst give the agility bonus, and topaz the dexterity? Just a random thought :P

Now, for more original ideas. Since these rings Are essentially 1.2M gp or so to buy, not to mention the coal gathering and gemstone of choice, should any other random bonuses be added, or is +5 a worthwhile enough prize for that price? Just asking. If not, any bonuses would have to be kind of... fitting to the stat increased, or in relation to the stones themselves somehow (though i doubt much could come of that lol).
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

hmm... i want +5% experience points... 8)
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i was actually hoping for +5% sexiness, but the devs told me that wasn't an actual stat.
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

Those are actually pretty good ideas. Something that might be worth asking about is the drop rate of the minerals. If say dimond is a rarer drop then than say topaz then should these stats reflect the difficulty of getting and making the ring? I'm not sure which stats should be given a higher priority or even if changing the numbers from a standard +5 is necessary. Just wondering out loud that's all. +5 seems for each mineral seems perfectly fine to me too though!
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

*spoiler*

since the terranites drop the amethyst, emerald, and sapphire, those are rarer. yellow slimes drop the topaz, red slimes drop the rubies, and mogguns drop the diamonds. i can't comment on the rubies and topaz(since i've not bothered with the slimes), but in the course of getting my terranite armor, i've collected 2 amethyst, 4 emeralds, 5 sapphire, and 9 diamonds.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How about having gemstones and rings in different grades ranging from +1 to +5 (or even higher) on a stat.

You can only find grade one gems from monsters. 5 gems of a lower value can be combined to one of the next higher tier (Diablo 2 had a similar system, afaik).

A +1 ring needs only one gem.
+2 needs 5
+3 needs 25
+4 needs 125
+5 needs 625
+6 needs 3125
+7 needs 15625
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

I would suggest to have different kind of quality minerals.
They drop in different rates and have different stat boni.

Just as in Diablo 2 :-)
---
triggs
Peon
Peon

Post by triggs »

i agree with the stat upgrades
--J Triggs
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

Crush, that's a great idea, but it would definitely need to be toned down on the number of gems required for higher level rings, given that (currently) most of the people who play this game aren't hardcore grindaholics.
Another idea i had was to use the rings to add elemental attack and defense (takes inspiration from Diablo 2, FF7, WoW). I hesitate to really push for this idea, since there aren't many elemental mobs, weapons, or magic yet.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yourmistakes wrote:most of the people who play this game aren't hardcore grindaholics.
I beg to differ.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i'd also like to suggest the option to place a pearl in the ring
Ventole
Peon
Peon

Post by Ventole »

Crush wrote:How about having gemstones and rings in different grades ranging from +1 to +5 (or even higher) on a stat.

You can only find grade one gems from monsters. 5 gems of a lower value can be combined to one of the next higher tier (Diablo 2 had a similar system, afaik).

A +1 ring needs only one gem.
+2 needs 5
+3 needs 25
+4 needs 125
+5 needs 625
+6 needs 3125
+7 needs 15625
I agree with Mistakes, 15625 seems a bit much for a +7 stat bonus.
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

Honestly, I think even 125 of a single mineral is quite tough! Sure there are botters playing but not all players can have the patience to grind this. When you design a game/quest you should also know how long it should take to complete and bare this in mind.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly