[REQ] Tileset: Crypt_indoor

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] Tileset: Crypt_indoor

Post by Wombat »

Can I get some advice from Crush or Rotonen on which floor tiles would be best for the crypt here? Included in the advice could be some description of recoloring that you might want to see for it and the crypt tileset as a whole. I'm wanting to see one of these tilesets selected to move forward with and your experience here could help speed the process without a lot of second guessing as to what to use.
Attachments
testing-floor-demo.png
testing-floor-demo.png (37.31 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Current character is "Abolish".
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

B) tile is nice, but I suggest to "move" color palette into cold space.
C/D) looks even nice but I don't like squares in wrong perspective on floor.
E) is too dark IMO so it's a bad idea.
F) is too happy and "royalish" for placing into crypt.

Personally I prefer B with a bit darker and colder colors.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I also think that B would fit best with the appropriate color corrections.

Regarding colorisation: What I posted on page 2 is still my opinion. Hue-Shifting from yellow to blue would give it the eerie look we need.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Talked with Rotonen and he agrees as well. Thank you i and Crush for you opinions. The blue with "b" floor tile is the way to move forward.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I agree. Tile B.
I'll make one normal and one with the yellow shifted blue like crush suggests and we can compare.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Here's the 2 versions of the wall tileset.
The stone archway and stairs were done by someone for tmw. I'll have to dig the link up. Just want to see if they can fit in with the set. I don't think they were ever added because there was nothing really to go with the original.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9044
Link to the stone gate thread
The recolor I did might not be as blue as crush wanted and I'm not sure I can get it the exact way. I've included the normal version so others can try and adjust the levels if they wanted to. I wanted to decrease the yellow becuse I would still like to have an indoor set that could have more use then just crypts.

I tried my best at color shifting the floor's palate. I found the sample on that tile wasn't exactly tileable but I found the core tile in the middle and got the tileable part out. I was thinking of modifying the some of the other floor choices to add future variety to the set.

I decided to move the GY Stone textured stuff to another "fringe" set.
I added a side view of the tomb, broken pillar pieces,proper fencing,pillar mountable gargoyle,man being statue and variant tomb cover. I really like those a lot. I figured that these people buried in these catacombs where somebody important or great warriors or something. I was thinking of adding weapons with the sprites. Like the warrior could have a shield and sword propped up on the statue or something. I have about 5 or 6 different statue/tomb cover combos I'm gonna do. The spider webs will be moved to the shadow set. I drew ones that actually have some transparency to them instead of the bold white.

I was wondering if when this is all created if I should break the sets down based on height for 3x,4x tiles?
(Wall of pixel art and text crits for 1000 dmg. No mock-up included)
Last edited by Merlin on 02 Sep 2010, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Hey, that looks pretty awesome.

The second tileset is better suited for the crypt due to the cold feeling.

Your vision about the fringe stuff sounds great.
---
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

argul wrote:Hey, that looks pretty awesome.

The second tileset is better suited for the crypt due to the cold feeling.

Your vision about the fringe stuff sounds great.
i agree :!: :mrgreen: :twisted:
its creeps me out to look at...i love it...
just a idea, it may bring depth to the set.....the floor in set 1(yellow gray)..with the blue set...(may look good maybe bad)...
looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

hi!

i tried to make an animation with a waterlike shader filling a tile from the above posting.
at the moment it's this:
bloodpan.gif
bloodpan.gif (54.7 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
bloodpan_ani_83_76.png
bloodpan_ani_83_76.png (26 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
edit: not sure how it would fit in the story though.
maybe a thing like that could offer to heal when klicking it.
after some short story there could be options to drink or refuse it.
it could cost monsterpoints instead of money too.
maybe in candor, or a very hard area somewhere in the crypt or at the yard.
it would benefit worriors and archers over mages, but maybe at another place
where it's very hard for a mage there could be such a thing for mana too, like at the snakepit.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Nice. To bad that the tomb you used isn't quite finished. XD Nothing that couldn't be fixed. I think for something like your wanting I wouldn't use that.
However with the pool of blood and all the animation would look cool if it had a skull pop up and float across the top. might be a bit more gore then we intend on, skipy's cart guy comes to mind. XD I could come up with something that could server as these potion wells.

speaking of mana...Why are there no MP pots in the game..dang. Now I have to start on that. I'll get to that but anyways...

I was thinking shot pedestal with a birdbath like well on the top. if meant to serve as healing make the pools green for hp and blue for mana. (the color of our bars even thou red pots are usually HP giving in rpgs.) idk maybe the green would look odd.
MerlinX420
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Gotcha, if you separate the eerie animation from the tomb, and just post that, it would help. We can apply that animation onto the tomb after a map is built. Further animations could be helpful, as Merlin pointed out, if you desired to do so.
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

hi!

thx for the feedback!
the animation isnt finished though, at the end, there should be wobbling shapes at the outlines too.
i'll be happy to add it to any other fitting tile too.
even though it was an idea afterwards, i could imagine that paying for health and mana recharging things
like the pan(would heal botlike with particleeffect on the player) with monsterpoints, would add drive to kill mobs not only for exp and drops then.
easy put it would be: kill to heal or recharge mana :-)
of course not everywhere, so buying pots wouldnt be obsolete.
i thought it could be a thing to add value to the monsterpoint system besides exchanging the points for items
and some quests.
"pedestal with a birdbath" sounds good, and i will give this a try.
regarding the color, i know it could be a bit too much blood maybe, but regarding phantasy,
i still like the association of a bloodwell to gain healthpower. for me, green stands for poison.
only my mental model though, definitely not unaffected by some shaping of games like diablo though.

edit: i almost forgot it, but for such a surface where bones and skulls swimm around, i could imagine a pond or something like a "rotten lake".
Attachments
bloodpan.zip
(xcf layerd animation)
(36.43 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

hhmmmm just thinking out loud......

could it be a start to a "locked in place" monster.....some thing that jumps up and reaches for you as you walk by or get close..
as is, it is awesome...grate work imo :twisted:

------------------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Hhmmm... I must change my nickname to "TMWART".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

i wrote:Hhmmm... I must change my nickname to "TMWART".
I can't spell your name. XD I could have just put I on it. XD I was to lazy to go look it was like 530 am. XD
but then that would look funny. Merlin+I. actully you should get top billing. I+Merlin. and no I don't have the small fonts installed so i hand scribbled them XD
They are generic tags at best atm. I need to know who did the graveyard stuff. I think that was a collaborated effort hence the generic tmw-art tag.
I would never discredit you. Your work is to good. My favorite stuff to rip on and map with. :)
MerlinX420