Accepting and Criticizing

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Can we throw Bill Gates out?

And by out, I mean, like, outside of the confines of the world, not unlike what Manw? and the Valar did to Melkor-who-is-named-Morgoth.

Please?

<-----Mac user who doesent own a PC
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Bjørn wrote:we avoid going to the toilet when we don't need to go
Ah, i get it! You're giving examples of things that go without saying! Let me try one! "We should take truth as truth without ignorant prejudice!"
My mistake: Giving credit to Bill Gates for his statement. It's awful that you guys can't take wisdom for wisdom. What does it take, should i say Steve Jobs said that quote? Einstein? Jesus? It's pathetic. The whole topic has rotted off the vine and whether the philosophy is good or whether the philosophy is bad, it's duely smashed beyond use now. And seeing as how i can't unsay "Bill Gates", this post might as well be deleted; it's a big black hole of prejudice. It's like the Knights Who Say Microsoft. Sheesh.
biggeruniverse
Peon
Peon

Post by biggeruniverse »

First, I don't think it really has to do with Bill Gates. It is a paradigm, it's just not a streamlined one. I've often left features in Tiled "because someone might use it," which is similar, but not quite the same.

Have you every heard how to make a sculpture of an elephant? Get a block of marble, and chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant. There is nothing to be left in but the elephant-looking parts.

I propose this paradigm instead: "If it doesn't fit in the vision of the project, remove it."

Of course, for this to work, there must be a clear vision that everyone who is working on the project can see and apply.

EDIT: <------ Linux user who owns(has owned or has worked on) a little of everything.
We are on the outer reaches of someone else's universe
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

This statement by Bill proves absolutely nothing and serves no purpose.
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

biggeruniverse wrote:I propose this paradigm instead: "If it doesn't fit in the vision of the project, remove it."

Of course, for this to work, there must be a clear vision that everyone who is working on the project can see and apply.
Hey now, there's a rational thought. It's about time. i believe the "If it doesn't fit in the vision of the project, remove it" philosophy you stated is the unspoken philosophy TMW has had. The flaw i see is that it has a single, solid, stationary standpoint that must be met by a group of many motley moving men. It's going to take a big unifying rule (or more likely set of rules) to make that kind of philosophy work. Not that i'm for or against either philosophy more than the other, but a rule that is like a big paper bag which allows the people using its contents to sort the contents out each time seems to fit more in my opinion. As opposed to a system where the creators (the many, many creators. By the way, some creators will make one piece, some will make many, some will edit one piece, some will make some pieces and edit some pieces... how can you keep track or order?) have to painstakingly decide all the possible uses for the item. i guess i'll stop there for now. Hopefully i've sparked some rational thought in some of you. May i add a topic rule? No mentioning or referring to Bill Gates, Microsoft, or Windows.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Ultim wrote:As opposed to a system where the creators (the many, many creators. By the way, some creators will make one piece, some will make many, some will edit one piece, some will make some pieces and edit some pieces... how can you keep track or order?)
I'm under the impression this is similar to how Battle for Wesnoth is organized, and they seem to be doing pretty well.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think there's only one man who really decides what stays in the game and what doesn't... that one man is Rotonen.
Apart from that the artists themself ofcourse have the right to choose not to have their creations published.

All the other people only give advice and critisism to improve the art that is shown. Eventhough this may influence people they don't have any direct power when it comes to deciding about what art stays and what art goes.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

Even with going to the toilet, it all boils down to keeping the nutrients and pissing away everything else that is unnecessary. The bad stuff you dont piss away eventually cloggs the whole system.

Basically, do everything you possibly can and expect less than half of it to be used, thats what i do and im perfectly happy, i just would that i had more time to give to this project
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well since the world itself is still evolving, we cannot avoid stuff being done "in vain", but at this point we do need people experimenting with stuff that no one else has even thought of. Our progress in general would be faster if we had a more productive and active conceptual section amongst our artists. Unfortunately inspired artists don't grow on trees.
This message used to be meaningful.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Jetryl wrote:Can we throw Bill Gates out?

And by out, I mean, like, outside of the confines of the world, not unlike what Manw? and the Valar did to Melkor-who-is-named-Morgoth.

Please?

<-----Mac user who doesent own a PC
LMfao sure :)
Ill help first we gota infultraite his fortress >_>
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Bill Gates isn't dumb ****, he is kinda clever and greedy person, who follows this credo:
Honesty is very important thing in life, if you can fake it you’ve got it made.
He, with all these trials and thievery and his fundation which is made for purpose of making him divine and generous because most of midwitted people has no idea that he doesn't give a Chocolate Cupcake about ill children, famine in Somalia unless blubbering about them can be a good commercial stuffed into throats of "sensitive" people while most of them does not even know where Somalia is, has outsmarted even English queen, therefore even if I despite him for his unhonourable doings I can't deny him intelligence, and I can't actually hate him because he has turned it for his own profit, fooling loosers all over the world.

Regards.