Which client do you use?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Which client do you use/prefer?

Official 0.29.1
5%
Manasource
16%
4144 patch
61%
Manabot
No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 44
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Which client do you use?

Post by yourmistakes »

just a quick poll to gauge the preferred client of the tmw community's active members. if you use more than one client, pick your favorite.
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Re: Which client do you use?

Post by bigglesworth »

I chose 'other' because I try to use the latest Manasource client, beyond the beta. Linux & "git pull", etc.

If that causes problems, I fall back to TMW 0.0.29.1.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

bigglesworth wrote:I chose 'other' because I try to use the latest Manasource client, beyond the beta. Linux & "git pull", etc.

If that causes problems, I fall back to TMW 0.0.29.1.
I chose "Manasource" though I use the same client you do.
Current character is "Abolish".
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We do in fact create a client version statistic by logging the HTTP user-agent headers when connecting to the update server.
http://updates.themanaworld.org/versions.php
According to this the most popular version is 0.0.29.1 with almost 70%. Different versions of the ManaPlus client accumulate to about 25%. The new Manasource client is used by very few people, but I can imagine that most of those who compile manasource themself also use git to get the content files, skip the update server and thus don't appear in this statistic.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Crush wrote:We do in fact create a client version statistic by logging the HTTP user-agent headers when connecting to the update server.
According to this the most popular version is 0.0.29.1 with almost 70%. Different versions of the ManaPlus client accumulate to about 25%. The new Manasource client is used by very few people, but I can imagine that most of those who compile manasource themself also use git to get the content files, skip the update server and thus don't appear in this statistic.
I think the 70% are those users, who just installed it from apt.
Ubuntu as well as debian have version 0.0.29.1 in repository.
---
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Crush wrote:We do in fact create a client version statistic by logging the HTTP user-agent headers when connecting to the update server.
This statistic show user agent only from update server.
Update server can be skipped in any clients from commands line
and can be auto skipped if configured in 4144 patch (manaplus) always.

This mean what this statistic some times may have error.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

Crush, I've seen that page. I wanted the results of what active, informed community members, (I.E. the ones who visit the forums) use. I really don't care what the 2000 noobs who quit after a week use.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

4144 of course.
:roll:
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

About 26% of players according to this link use ManaPlus and variant versions (at time of writing). Presumably within the 70% includes the manabot users. Does this remind anyone of Internet Explorer vs Firefox?
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

No.. as both are open source and based off the same source code.

While 4144's client is quite popular, we are working on the foundation for a "add-on" or "plug-in" feature in the mainline. We are trying to make it as dynamic as possible and we hope that it will allow 4144 additions to be modular, and not require installation of a completely new client.

We hope this will make life easier on everyone.

(Manasource for not having to deal with ManaPlus issue)
(4144 for not having to maintain a entire code base, but many smaller ones)
(Users for not having to install different clients, addons can be installed via unzip/copied into respected location)
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote:4144 of course.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

mana source...works great on dial up.
4144 is pretty good, but it slowed my old system down too much.
no idea if the official client still freezes and crashes, but that was my original motivation to find an alternative.

OS Debian Lenny...mostly =]
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Crush wrote:statistic.
Over what time?

If it is over 1 month? One week? One year?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
cowboy
Peon
Peon

Post by cowboy »

Avoid quarrel/envy with each other like kids. :p
If community members arent supportive to each other than the community wont grow. (be it server or client or players)
yourmistakes wrote:.... I really don't care what the 2000 noobs who quit after a week use....
it may be true which is not a good sign. It's li'l difficult & takes time for a newbie to cope with the game & it's culture. They gain experience but it also takes time to leave the game. :lol:

Game culture should be such that ppl will come, enjoy/learn & leave. And most of them shouldnt take the game too seriously unless they know the reason to.

btw, ghp will change, game experience will change, game culture will change. players will come, enjoy & will leave.
but the community will stay. I hope the fate of the community be something +ve.

& Mistakes, you did a mistake. you havent put my client in the list :cry:
check for toilet paper before sitting down...
Anonymous!!!
Novice
Novice

Post by Anonymous!!! »

He hasn't put my client on either- may be due to the fact I haven't told anyone about it or released it :P
(I did have one that I emailed some people but I lost it when my system was wiped so I'm starting from scratch)

I picked other of course :P
-Nahem - My Characters in use are:
  • Nahem Image
  • Knetrin Image
  • Nullified Image
Are you up for a CHALLENGE? Yes!
Project Hurnscald
I'm currently attempting to develop an Event Arena and I'm looking for ideas!