New castle wip 5: check it out

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

looks very house-ish imho. for castle walls, maybe try it with bigger bricks (i'd say about 3-4 times as big), or with irregular stones like [this].
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Yeah the shading looks great. But with the way they're levelled, it looks bad. So as long as we don't have levellers that think shadow somehow hits halfway up the wall... :-P
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

degen wrote: Image
nice but it looks too tiled
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

Ultim hehe yeah i know what you ment with the darker stones higher up (no to honest i only did 3 tiles and i accidently put in 4 columns in Tile studio so in lazinezz i jsut threw em in there >_<

the wall section with shades above the "feet" tile is supposed to be for below the top section which on most walls go over the edge of hte wall and casts shadows (as said i was very lazy last night and tirerd) just wanted soem thoughts regarding its shadows and stuff like that likes and dislikes about the style etc etc :)

and yeah the bricks are to small for walls that i know (i did them with purpose for houses so) as for the style of how it was tiled it reminded me more of a wall of a fortress then the side of a house ... if you get what i am saying :roll:
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

And one bump for update :) .
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Say, those cracks give it a neat effect. Try making them bigger or more prominent somehow.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Ultim wrote:Say, those cracks give it a neat effect. Try making them bigger or more prominent somehow.
Depends on what elven thinks, i dont want to make it look like it will collapse any minute :wink: , oh anyone think they can make a quick map with this?, or ill go ahead and do it in game maker..
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

it still needs much more detail. these large one-colored areas got to disapper before you can call it "almost final".
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Crush wrote:it still needs much more detail. these large one-colored areas got to disapper before you can call it "almost final".
Ill have it all in full detail by wip 5, and nothing is one colored in the tiles or maybe your talking about little area's on the tiles?.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I think Crush is right, the wall still seems too flat. I'd like you to add more texture which I mean giving it the feeling of being a real material, not just plastic as someone said. I'm thinking at it as of sandstone, old and ruined by time, not as new as if it was built 2 days ago and it only has got some cracks here and there. Anyway in the whole it starts to look nice.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think it's far from finished:
-Texture needs a lot of improvement
-It's all in all pretty flat and boring; improve the shading
-Towers need improvement
-The wall stands straight up, it should be steep but slightly angled
-All bends are jerky and sharp

Still Missing:
-Diagonal walls
-Wall intersections
-I don't see a way to get on the wall; add some ladders and stairs.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

"it needs a lot of improvement", the favorite sentence of every graphic designer. because it is just a more polite version of "it sucks".

don't just say that something needs improvement, say what kind of improvement.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

bump for update.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the carvings were a good idea, but they look quite 2 dimensional. there should be a light source in the southwest. don't create the carvings by drawing the outlines of the shapes, draw them by drawing the shadows and highlights caused by the light source.

you should also keep the light source in mind when shading the curve tiles.
Last edited by Crush on 08 Oct 2005, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Crush wrote:the carvings were a good idea, but they look quite 2 dimensional. there should be a light source in the southwest.

you should also keep the light source in mind when shading the curve tiles.
The game is not using a downwerd sky light?, as for the carvings, ill play with the shadows and pop them more out if you like.