[FND] Spinning Scythe

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Spinning Scythe

Post by skipy »

Wombat wrote:icon needs to be 32x32 for it. The hilt will have to be a crafting quest to make, which is good since it will require another step to make the sword.

From what I can tell, most artists right now would prefer to move forward without expanding the player set. I'd like to have some thoughts on it. There does seem to be a way to do a "slashing" animation without new frames, but it isn't very pretty.

The animation seems backwards for the weapon, not sure if that is the intention of the weapon. If the current artists would rather work around the lack of slashing animation instead, that is okay, but I'd like to know how everyone feels since it was meant to be a priority after we got done with this series of releases we are working on now.
" expanding the player set" ---is in need for sure ...and would love to see it done...
there seems to be a lots already working on it ...and is over see by lots of people (dose not seem like a friendly place for a noob artiest like myself to try to help or get Involved)..that being said im probley more use with the things that are "added to game" like monsters and items [a bad idea done good is better then a good idea done bad or not done at all]....

so ill keep working with what i have..(and help fix everything to the new frames)

ok the sword...if we keep at it and take our time to do it right ...i truly believe we can come up with i good looking 1 handed slash attack ....
the question is how can it look like the player is "flicking" there wrist down with the swing.......im post here 1 why i think it can be done and thats by covering the hand with the hilt to "hide the hand"....this is a dirty trick but it may work for now...i shorten the blade and change the hilt for now(i loved the other one and may use it but for now us i play with it, its hard to fit the way in my head)..the blade works grate(imo) ....its just a matter of finding the sweet spot ....
one thing i was thinking mite help is some movement lines as it comes down and brakes the air......tell me what you think on this Wombat, nmaligec,or any one that wants to speak up...this will be tricky but worth it imo....
thanks agen nmaligec for the parts (saved me weeks if i was to try :mrgreen: )and as always feel free to bend ,twist ,dismantle any thing you see that i put up...you may see what i don't :wink: :mrgreen:

now sleep .........maybe-------------------------skipy

(this is only a look at possible ways of fitting)
Attachments
sword-raz.png
sword-raz.png (6.46 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Its looking great skipy! The new hilt-guard looks much better.

I re-rendered it without the hilt guard, I thought it might be easier to work with. Also I thought maybe you could up the colour contrast in gimp to bring out some of the subtler shading. I noticed len suggest this to someone working on castle walls. I think it might be the trick to make the otherwise flat looking render, really pop!

I will leave the rest to you.
Attachments
liferazor.zip
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

ok....here is a first look at a sheet.....this needs testing to see if it looks right and moves ok....there is no detail or shading yet..want to see how it acts before i do move ...

:twisted: ----------------------skipy
Attachments
liferazorworking.png
liferazorworking.png (11.42 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
liferazorworkingshow.png
liferazorworkingshow.png (25.18 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

nmaligec wrote:It would only let me add 3 attachments, so here is the png.
The problem with this is that it has that Diablo 2 aesthetic (3D renders used as 2d sprites), and will probably have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the graphics in TMW...
Pixel Battalion
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Len wrote:
nmaligec wrote:It would only let me add 3 attachments, so here is the png.
The problem with this is that it has that Diablo 2 aesthetic (3D renders used as 2d sprites), and will probably have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the graphics in TMW...
the 3D rendering is a tool for perspective .... ...
as soon as the shape and movement is good...it will be re-worked to give it a 2-d feel .. :twisted: :mrgreen: .
[edit]i have put here a more 2d looking one....[edit]

-----------------skipy
Attachments
liferazorworking2d.png
liferazorworking2d.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I am a lot busier now with class starting this week, so I haven't been able check the forums much. So far its looking great skipy. Does this sheet work for female 1h attack as well? Would be cool if it only needs minor x or y offsets, which can be done in the xml and so wont require an additional sheet.

One thing I just noticed, the blade seems a bit dark compared to other metal weapons. There was a pic I was using for guidance http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image:Icons.png
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:I am a lot busier now with class starting this week, so I haven't been able check the forums much. So far its looking great skipy. Does this sheet work for female 1h attack as well? Would be cool if it only needs minor x or y offsets, which can be done in the xml and so wont require an additional sheet.

One thing I just noticed, the blade seems a bit dark compared to other metal weapons. There was a pic I was using for guidance http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image:Icons.png
i don't know, Does this sheet work for female or male 1h attack as well? :roll: ..ive tested with fitters in gimp but not in a sever...maybe i should post a .gif of it......now that i think of it ....its missing a icon :roll: ....the color fix will be done soon...and i guess do the icon until i hear if there needs fixing.....im also looking at the hilt and it seems boring ...may need small detailing (rivets or some thing?)....but first i need to know if it works .... :twisted: it should ......hmmmm ill post a test gif. soon..

---------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

gif demo ...

------------skipy
Attachments
razer.._hand.gif
razer.._hand.gif (10.14 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Looking great! I'm sure you will fix the white edges when the rough part is done.

One thing I just noticed was that the last frame in the left/right attack, could be rotated down (ccw) about 5 to 25 degrees. Now that the frames are a bit faster, it looks odd that the blade swing stops so 'straight'. Also, having the blade hit closer to the ground will help with attacks to low/small enemies. I should have done this for the templates I gave you but I didn't notice until now.

The last attack frame from the back looks a bit strange, kinda like he is slamming the blade forward and not swinging it. Maybe copy the last frame from the forward facing attack and mirror it along the vertical axis (left/right mirror). Remove the bits that should be covered by the player sprite. Also remove a bit of the hilt to show the part of the hand holding it from behind. This is just my thoughts, maybe it looks better if more of the blade is showing, I don't know.

Post the framesheet and the icon pngs when you want me to test it. Also need an entry for just the blade drop, before it is reforged to become usable.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Looking great! I'm sure you will fix the white edges when the rough part is done.

One thing I just noticed was that the last frame in the left/right attack, could be rotated down (ccw) about 5 to 25 degrees. Now that the frames are a bit faster, it looks odd that the blade swing stops so 'straight'. Also, having the blade hit closer to the ground will help with attacks to low/small enemies. I should have done this for the templates I gave you but I didn't notice until now.

The last attack frame from the back looks a bit strange, kinda like he is slamming the blade forward and not swinging it. Maybe copy the last frame from the forward facing attack and mirror it along the vertical axis (left/right mirror). Remove the bits that should be covered by the player sprite. Also remove a bit of the hilt to show the part of the hand holding it from behind. This is just my thoughts, maybe it looks better if more of the blade is showing, I don't know.

Post the framesheet and the icon pngs when you want me to test it. Also need an entry for just the blade drop, before it is reforged to become usable.
""copy the last frame from the forward facing attack and mirror it along the vertical axis (left/right mirror)"" looked bad :roll: ...i did it 4 or 5 times...each time it was bad...

i fix the fitting and color ...did some trimming and detailing but not much ...i may need some cleaning and i made the icon...im post the blade icon soon...

----------------skipy
Attachments
weapon_deadsword.png
weapon_deadsword.png (9.35 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
icon dead sword.png
icon dead sword.png (954 Bytes) Viewed 2109 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

skipy: The more I tested the reaper fight, the more it seemed like the scythe death frames should burn up the blade too. Do you think you can redo the death frames so that the last frame has nothing left of the scythe? If it needs more frames to look proper, add another row.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

suggestions:
Scyther should drop a scythe or maybe an "evil scythe"...
The Lost should drop Black Robes + Skulls
Skulls should of course drop Skulls

I could maybe edit this sprite sheet when finished, to make another one for the sabre and the toy sabre since toy sabre isn't use by anyone and it stays in storage.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

yes...im on it ...will have up as soon as done :mrgreen: .

@Ali-G-->feel free to do as you will .....i would suggest editing the robes to make them look more creepy...
--skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I'm on the deep creepy black robe!
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this should work, let me know.

------skipy
Attachments
monster-spinning-scythe2.png
monster-spinning-scythe2.png (56 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido