Connection parameters

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
djarum
Peon
Peon

Connection parameters

Post by djarum »

Hello everyone,

I am using the "portable apps" version of TMW, and I am trying to make it work over at work.
Our Internet connection works with a proxy server.

So when I launch the game and try to connect to "server.themanaworld.org", I get the following error message: "Unable to resolve host". I understand from this error that the game cannot connect to Internet.

Thus, is there some way to parameter the connection?
Or maybe somebody has any other solution?

Thak you in adavance and have a nice day.

Jerome
Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Connection parameters

Post by Goku »

Not sure if this helps any, but I also recieved that issue while trying to connect from home like I always do.. first time it ever happened to me. After waiting like 5 mins and trying again the problem went away but something was wrong with the updates part that shows up so it just skipped it.

Maybe it's not you and it has something to do with the servers.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
djarum
Peon
Peon

Post by djarum »

Hi Goku,

Thanks for the answer. But I managed to connect from home, so I guess the problem comes from my office's Internet connection...

Anybody got any idea?
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

yes do you thought about working at work? there might be a reason why they block games like tmw.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
djarum
Peon
Peon

Post by djarum »

Hello Trmfalke,

How about you do not judge me and mind your own business?

Everyone else: do I have to understand there's no sollution?
ado
Peon
Peon

Post by ado »

Here is solution:

0. Setup an SSH server at your home machine.
1. Setup an Socks Proxy Server
2. From work connect to your home machine via Putty.
3. Enable port forwarding in Putty.
4. Use some kind of proxyfing software (SocksCap etc.)
5. ???
6. PROFIT

Doing so you make a breach at work network (if you will setup programs in a wrong way). So think twice better, because you can be fired for such games.

Regards.
Greymon
Newly Registered User

Post by Greymon »

Just joined the fray, and honestly, I wish TMW would connect through my proxy server here at home. Instead, I am having to run it on the box with the proxy server, and my webserver, and various other things. Sad because it's about 1/4 the machine my barton is.

So, perhaps sometime in the future, they could allow connections over http: proxy, or socks5. (I run both).

Greymon :|

P.S. Nevermind. It maxes out the CPU on my 930 mhz server box. Guess I'll be back when I find a solution someday.

Edit 2: I was able to get it to work on the server machine by stripping it to the bare essentials, but it's still not the right way.
Last edited by Greymon on 21 Sep 2010, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You could configure your server machine to function as a full-fledged router with NAT and not just a web proxy. That way any system behind it could initiate normal network connections to server systems outside of your network without requiring any special software or configuration.

Alternatively there is software which allows to tunnel any application through SOCKS without requiring SOCKS support in the software itself.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Greymon
Newly Registered User

Post by Greymon »

Tried freecap, and widecap, couldn't resolve host through it, which is odd, as it's my own proxy server.

So yeah, someday, I'll build a linux box to serve as a mega nat router/wifi bridge.

But as of now, I got to run on the xp box with the wifi. Cest la vie. Game is fun at even 10 fps without Open GL.

Greymon :)
Spekulyant
Peon
Peon

Post by Spekulyant »

Greymon wrote:Tried freecap, and widecap, couldn't resolve host through it, which is odd, as it's my own proxy server.
Try Proxy Cap - did the trick for me.
KimberAn
Newly Registered User

Post by KimberAn »

I'm basically having the same problem just without the proxy's and such I try to connect and it says couldn't connect to remote host the odd part being I'm playing it on the same exact internet connection I'm using right now so it's not an internet problem I think mines just a basic wireless router and home internet
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

The error "Couldn't connect to remote host" is one rather different from the one covered in this thread, and is the result of some issues we've had recently, which should, with any luck, be resolved shortly.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

KimberAn wrote:I'm basically having the same problem just without the proxy's and such I try to connect and it says couldn't connect to remote host the odd part being I'm playing it on the same exact internet connection I'm using right now so it's not an internet problem I think mines just a basic wireless router and home internet
KimberAn, the server is actually down this thread is an old one. (have a look to the dates)
Do not worry, the problem doesn't come from your side.
Check the welcome page http://themanaworld.org/ to see when it is on and try again.
See you soon in game :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

tmwAthena services should be running again now.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated