[FND] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

Post by Merlin »

awesome. glad your getting some free time back. :)
I like the extras hidden in the xcf. alot to do there. i take it your going to move the statue and the wood off the set.
dang why didn't i think of the complete circle. (more ideas...) shadows on the separate layer. I'll see about making a shadow set that works around this existing set. That 45% wall and archway was kinda just a lame perspective tool applied the right way and some nice ripping and fill in work to get the inside top archway and the inside wall view.

Well enough chit chat. CR1 needs an academy and tA needs a real city. I still have some work to finish up this week. Maybe a little the next month but I should be able some maps cranked out now.

(Hope I didn't spoil the extras!) XD
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

May I dare to criticize the great Irukard?

The shape of the roof is very interesting, but the color selection does not fit the rest of the tileset very well, in my opinion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:May I dare to criticize the great Irukard?
Privilege granted :P
Crush wrote:The shape of the roof is very interesting, but the color selection does not fit the rest of the tileset very well, in my opinion.
Any suggestions? I spent a couple minutes testing different colour variations. The best results provide colours yellow and orange. But there are no objections from my side for changing it. Personally I would prefer warm colours (they are happy and sunny), however I know that cold one could fit better. I may also publish roof XCF source if someone is interested.

There is one more thing. I managed to post small updates every Sunday - until it's done. Now I can afford spending 3-5 hours per week.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Please do provide the xcf for the roof I. :)
I made a scalable roofless version of your tower.

I have much more to make. Just wanted to see about the tower. Any roof could be used this way or no roof at all.
I also added the off-set curved corners. The top is usable with all transitions from the original wall set and should provide for some intricate designs.

On the tower the back wall needs to be on a layer below the sprite. so I removed this in the middle. I dosen't have to be mapped this high, but it allows for all heights.

I have a separate shadow set. I did make a scalable inside shadow for the curves.
I need to find a good tutorial on shadows.
Could someone point me in the right place? XD
One thing that's bugged me is the lack of realistic shadows.
Could we keep them on a separate set so they can be place on a over layer?
my 2 cents for the chainsaw seller! XD
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:I made a scalable roofless version of your tower.
YAY! But tell me why did you do that? Such tall construction is senseless. First - you can not find such tall stone. Second it lacks details. I want to achieve diversity by using detail rich content, not by copy~pasting the same objects in different order. According windows - I have quite different idea. I'm not fond of making them almost the same as doorways.

Resuming I got plenty of ideas how outer Academy walls should look like. I made dozens of concept arts, and now I'm trying to redraw it in Inkscape, and finally pixel in Gimp. Also I'm not sure that we should use those walls for building entire Academy. I would rather prefer make inner buildings in different style. Less stone, more wood and organic.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

i wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:I made a scalable roofless version of your tower.
YAY! But tell me why did you do that? Such tall construction is senseless. First - you can not find such tall stone. Second it lacks details. I want to achieve diversity by using detail rich content, not by copy~pasting the same objects in different order. According windows - I have quite different idea. I'm not fond of making them almost the same as doorways.

Resuming I got plenty of ideas how outer Academy walls should look like. I made dozens of concept arts, and now I'm trying to redraw it in Inkscape, and finally pixel in Gimp. Also I'm not sure that we should use those walls for building entire Academy. I would rather prefer make inner buildings in different style. Less stone, more wood and organic.
It doesn't have to be that tall. I did it so I could make tower and not be forced into the one roof type. It doesn't not have to be as tall as the full tower. I just didn't like the idea of being forced to that height. (I will show why in an example map to show my the reasoning behind my madness) Yes it lacks detail. It's still pretty rough. For the Academy I would prefer a different interior building set as well. For windows I have a number of different ideas as well. Yes just using the doorway is a cheap method. The frame I edited for the crypt windows was a bit smaller then the original opening. I have a few other window ideas as well.

I'm not just thinking of the Academy with this set. I'm thinking over all usability.
MerlinX420
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Am I remembering correctly that the blue glass in those windows was taken from another game?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

poison_ivy wrote:Am I remembering correctly that the blue glass in those windows was taken from another game?
I think you may be thinking of the "other" window. The one I had ripped from a rpgmaker set that I had framed in a stone archway.
After the helm and floor incident I went thru and removed alot of ripped stuff that didn't know where I got and separated the junk I had around. Now I'm going to have to dig and make sure I didn't take that from somewhere. I didn't plan on using that window as it is. I want a whole set. Not just 1 windows type/design. (Doesn't match well imo)
Irukard said he had window design ideas and I will just leave the windows to him. I'm not going to continue editing his work anymore unless I really get stuck being unable to map something.
be back in a few hours after I dig for that window. I'm removing it either way, but will keep it around if I didn't rip it.
MerlinX420
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If I may make a suggestion on roof color, start with the warm color we have and age it. Add some grime. This won't be a brand new complex.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

jaxad0127 wrote:If I may make a suggestion on roof color, start with the warm color we have and age it. Add some grime. This won't be a brand new complex.
Sounds reasonable to me. This can be done after I finish gateway and windows.

EDIT:
The Sunday is coming. And I got some new content. Still needs a lot of work, however here is a teaser:
gate tiled mockup.png
gate tiled mockup.png (156.99 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Is it just me or are the towers not wide enough to have that pathway in the middle?
Just something that's been bugging me since I started mapping the academy a little bit last night.
The example teaser you posted shows the same thing.
MerlinX420
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:Is it just me or are the towers not wide enough to have that pathway in the middle?
Just something that's been bugging me since I started mapping the academy a little bit last night.
The example teaser you posted shows the same thing.
They have only 1 walkable tile. A front wall must be placed on ^TOP^ layer. Anyway, why should player walk on towers? NPC may stick there :P However huge towers with indoor rooms aren't yet pixelated.

EDIT: Wip state.
Academy Gate-WIP2.png
Academy Gate-WIP2.png (59.86 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Sunday Update!

Next update: 10.10.2010.
Source files: http://lasdomogrod.pl/tmw/block-walls-source/
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi i,

The door with the "keep out! WIP!" sign is excellent ;D

I'll update the files to the dev data asap.

My best regards.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Bertram wrote:I'll update the files to the dev data asap.
Thank you. Could you upload source files to tmwart repo? I don't even remember how to synchronize git repos.

0.0.8 is scheduled on Sunday 10.10.2010.
Expected new content:
- Open doorway [done already]
- Two new windows [20% done]
- Some new wall add-ons [30% done]

Some new tiles containing roof parts will be slightly repositioned. I got only 16 tiles of space left :(

0.0.9 may be released on Sunday 17.10.2010. With some luck it may be marked as 0.1.0 - first fully functional and map ready set.

Next work would be then Block Walls Add-on Tileset containing:
- 4 frame gate opening/closing animation (open -> mid frame 1 -> mid frame 2 -> closed)
- wooden bridge
- some sculptures
- 8 directional stairs
- huge tower in Byzantine style

In same time I'll try to work on wall-clif integration.