Help Wanted: Script Writers

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Help Wanted: Script Writers

Post by Wombat »

Interested in getting more content into the game? We need more script writers to make this possible.

Qualifications:

- Must be willing to download a TMW-eAthena server, TMW client data and be willing to learn how to test scripts locally.
- Must be willing to fix bugs and not leave work for others to fix. There aren't "others" there are very few TMW Developers fully concentrated on tA content, with some support from other TMW Developers that concentrate in other areas.

Script writing leaders:

- A script writer can quickly get promoted to a project leadership position if they are willing to learn how to use the gitorious repository by starting a branch and adding their content through the branch.

- Willingness to stay informed through IRC (#tmw-dev as the primary IRC channel) and keep up with the Content Development and Graphics Development topics. If they get appointed to a leadership position, must be willing to keep up with the private "Council" forum.

- A constructive work attitude that relies less on criticism and more on encouraging content, both quantity and quality. We don't have an army of paid artists, we have volunteers and sometimes must accept art that doesn't always fit our guidelines, but the attempt should be made so content remains rather consistent or even improves with time. Of course, sometime you will have to draw the line with people that decide to be difficult to work with. Good judgment skills or a good tolerance level can help decide when you've had enough from those that think this game is their toilet to piss in.

Script writers by themselves are needed to keep adding quests to the game. When graphics is ahead of the script writing, it becomes apparent that in order for art content to reach the game, scripting NPCs to add quests for this art is fairly typical. Other methods for art reaching the game may also include: monster drops, crafting, monsters, NPC sheet...all of this requires more than just simple quest writing skills, though it is still relatively simple knowledge, though it can be time consuming.

Script writing leaders would be those that go beyond just writing a quest and would coordinate map sections or areas of focus to bring forward changes to the game. Eventually, I'd like to make my role more redundant, but I need more people that are willing to show leadership for this to occur. Those that make it to an official team contributor or developer status for the purposes of tA content will be expected to show some level of leadership to move content forward.
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: Help Wanted: Script Writers

Post by Merlin »

I would like to suggest that that mappers at least attempt to learn to write there own scripts.
Some simple things are quite easy to script. I shouldn't have to ask a scripter to waste time on making a simple NPC that anyone could script. I should be able to add the NPCs that I see that fit into whatever map I'm designing.
eA scripting is not hard.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Maybe I should start giving scripting lessons to people over IRC... could be a interesting experiment... And maybe it would drum up some new scripters.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

Perhaps if you have the time from your experience tutoring irc script newbies you could write a tutorial.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Acegi wrote:Perhaps if you have the time from your experience tutoring irc script newbies you could write a tutorial.
I am not actually that good at writing straight up tutorials.

I guess in a lot of ways I don't feel learn people without the present of genuine dialog
Last edited by Kage on 30 Sep 2010, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
alastrim
Novice
Novice

Post by alastrim »

Kage, Your lessons about bitmasks on IRC were really helpful. You explained it extremely well. If you do the same with specific doubts presented by new scripters it would be great.

From me, I dont know if I can contribute too much, because I am helping at the Brazilian server right now, and we are working in a lot of things to be available in the long term. But I would be happy to make adjustments in the scripts you guys want from there.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Any scripts that are reasonable are great. I'm no fan of GUI, but apparently the server has some good contributions. Is GUI still the server admin for the BR server?
Current character is "Abolish".
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

alastrim wrote:Kage, Your lessons about bitmasks on IRC were really helpful. You explained it extremely well. If you do the same with specific doubts presented by new scripters it would be great.

From me, I dont know if I can contribute too much, because I am helping at the Brazilian server right now, and we are working in a lot of things to be available in the long term. But I would be happy to make adjustments in the scripts you guys want from there.
maybe make that chatlog availabe in wiki?
without unneccessary stuff of course..
That might help others better than the wiki is now
---
alastrim
Novice
Novice

Post by alastrim »

Is GUI still the server admin for the BR server?
No. Now one Gm is temporarily in charge of this job.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://buwinow5.tripod.com/

This might be of assistance to some. I have no idea how well this reflects on our eA codebase. The tech savvy scripters will always refer to TMW-eA source code as their scripting bible anyway.
This message used to be meaningful.