The World of Mana

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yes, we have to get rid of the word "mana". how about
the magic world
the mage world
the mystic world

anyway, i don't think that this thread is the right way to come up with a name. maybe we should have a large scale approach on this very important topic. maybe we should post a news asking people for their suggestions. then we choose the names we like best and have a poll between them.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Why would we need to get rid of the word "mana?" Google it; there's rather a lot of stuff that uses that word. As long as we don't bring it close to one of Square's names, we should be fine.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

if square's gonna sue tmw, they also better sue blizzard for diablo/warcraft, bullfrog (magic carpet) and so on (basically at least half of all fantasy games ever made.), also quite a few book authors etc...
besides, why can they trademark a term of common speech?
anyways, i dont think using that word's gonna be a problem... though a recursive acronym would definitely be cool to have.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

by just replacing mana with something else we get rid of any similarity with squaresoft trademarks while changing the name as little as possible.

about that recursive acronym idea: recursive acronyms work for user software, but for games? the name of a game transports a lot of impression. it should be an expression of the general atmosphere of the game. an unpronounceable acronym doesn't work for that. at least not for fantasy atmosphere. so the acronym itself shouldn't sound like an acronym.

when i think about it: we could just call the game "MANA". simple, short and easy to memorize. but those 4 letters could be a backronym.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think "MANA" is too simple and short, besides... people should be able to find it if they look for it just by typing the name in Google. It's hard enough as it is with 24 searchresults related to The Mana World before our site.

I think a recursive acronym doesn't really suit a game somehow, it just doesn't look very inviting somehow.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io