Heaven

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Katze
Knight
Knight

Heaven

Post by Katze »

I made a map which I would REALY like to be used as heaven. My idea was that people would go there first when they die instead of respawning at once. There they would have to get some "water of life" and would THEN respawn at the now existing soul menhirs.

That way dying would become a bit more like dying and it's a bit more like a "punishment" to first have to do something to live again.

I know of some underworld someone has been planning. But this is no big deal and should be something that can be done quickly.

When the underworld is ready it could still be implemented as an alternative: people who killed more innocent monsters go to hell and people who killed more bad ones go to heaven. I guess that's possible since it's similar to sagatha not speaking with people...?

Here's the map I made: http://files.lindeijer.nl/fatima/Heaven.png

I used recoloured snow tiles and my clouds.
Attachments
Heaven_small.png
Heaven_small.png (182.17 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Re: Heaven

Post by yourmistakes »

i Duck love this idea! requesting heaven tileset immediately . . . . in my pants.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

As I already said on http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=11653 I would suggest to do this differently: by making a map with a background image.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bonnie
Newly Registered User

Post by Bonnie »

I like the idea!

Bonnie
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I created a custom data for a variation on Katze's map using background scrolling.
Attachments
heaven_custom.zip
(576.34 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF]
Novice
Novice

Post by Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] »

Katze wrote:I made a map which I would REALLY like to be used as heaven. My idea was that people would go there first when they die instead of respawning at once. There they would have to get some "water of life" and would THEN respawn at the now existing soul menhirs.
This idea sounds quite good and refreshing to me Katze, really.
Katze wrote:That way dying would become a bit more like dying and it's a bit more like a "punishment" :shock: to first have to do something to live again.
Yes ... No ... Maybe ... I don't know ...
In simple words :
regarding the diverse roots and beliefs of players, may I ask those "death & rebirth" cycles to stay away from cultural aspects as much as possible ?

PS @Katze :
  • since both of us already had those discussions in game, I guess you understand what is my point here. :wink:
ImageImage
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Kage wrote:I created a custom data for a variation on Katze's map using background scrolling.

Looks great! :D

I'd still like to have Heaven a bit more separated from earth. Maybe it'd be possible to keep the snow cloud layer thingy and make it move. The holes through which you can see some blue in my original version could then show the woods and some moving clouds. Maybe we'd need some more holes then...

EDIT: Did it...looks strange... Have a better idea...
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WHy not use a... normal map with 25% zoom, that will make a look from the sky and we can use the scroling thing with that? + some clouds (may more little and with a better tmw look) Like that we dont need a different full tileset and not dying an old... Just my opinions.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

That's exactly what Kage did, actually - just without DIFFERENT clouds. But it does not at all look like "Heaven" or at least not like what I intended it to be...

I have tried different things now. And everything looks either bad or too earthly.

About different clouds: Will you make them? I'm not a pixel artist and have no idea how to do it in PROPER tmw style. :P

imo, Kage's/Reid's idea could also be used and would be really nice - just not for heaven.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Katze wrote:That's exactly what Kage did, actually - just without DIFFERENT clouds. But it does not at all look like "Heaven" or at least not like what I intended it to be...

I have tried different things now. And everything looks either bad or too earthly.

About different clouds: Will you make them? I'm not a pixel artist and have no idea how to do it in PROPER tmw style. :P

imo, Kage's/Reid's idea could also be used and would be really nice - just not for heaven.
Take their idea plus 25% zoom, use that as background for yours.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Missunderstand then >.< sorry..
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I like the idea! But... how about the hell? :lol:

TMW Team member

yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

.:WildX:. wrote:I like the idea! But... how about the hell? :lol:
i can unleash it, :twisted: but no one wants that.
noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Post by noelleionscowl »

Hm.... interesting idea.
I don't like the thought of having to complete a quest every time I die... maybe there should be a reward? Of some form? That can only be obtained once per day, to prevent blatant overuse. And after that you just respawn?

Maybe killing certain monsters could decide where you went?

Good idea, though.
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

noelleionscowl wrote:I don't like the thought of having to complete a quest every time I die...
die less often, then.