[WIP] Re-make of The Walls of Tulsimer

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] Re-make of The Walls of Tulsimer

Post by Merlin »

I went over the previous work done to do this. I couldn't find any tiles of the new style walls so I've attempted to create them from the mockups posted. The archway wasn't the correct width and wasn't tileable from the mockup provided.
I figured the best way to correct this set is to correct it at the tileset lvl and keep from having to remap the whole town.

I was thinking of changing the sand tiles with the new style sand. I've seen in another thread that there's a varient of the sand that is darker and not as bright as the existing sand.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [WIP] Re-make of The Walls of Tulsimer

Post by Reid »

I though on changing this old tiles too, newby see the old wall and may they got a bad idea of what is tmw with this ... 'graphics'...
I think that they done more than that no? I think that all of the tileset is done oO
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yes there is more. It is all in a mock-up form not actual tile-sets.
There's even a new road and stone for the set and I would like to re-do the other things. There's still some of the old 16px upscaled stuff that could use touching up.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Please have a look at:
http://mantis.themanaworld.org/view.php?id=877
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 831#p58831

Note: Tulsimer -> Tulimshar

Best regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yeah I know I butchered the spelling.

Yes most of the stuff I have are those listed in the mantis. Those are mockups and are not actually usable to map with.
This isn't a priority for eA atm, but just something I'm doing on the side.
Most of the art requests are for things I can't really do but I can edit and get what we have into usable content.

I know that the re-make has been requested for a LONG time now and would like to see incomplete stuff finished since most of it is in almost a usable state.
MerlinX420
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi again,

Np, I just feared you could have missed something.

Thanks for caring and best regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I made sure I dug thru it all before I started with my creative editing.
MerlinX420
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

They are from 0.0.7e or d, 0.0.7something still had the SoM tiles.

Be sure to check out the thread Betram posted, lots of stuff there

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 831#p58831

and don't forget the original thread, many nice concepts e.g. by Pajarico

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=745

The original tileset actually looked very nice and had many details in it, maybe you should try to recreate this wall in highresolution, see attached.
Attachments
tileset_resized.png
tileset_resized.png (49.41 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
tileset.png
tileset.png (36.89 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Matt thanks for the corpse thread with some back info in it.
idk the OLD tiles where even around.

I see Len have a different more actual sand color to his. Same with the other new style dessert.
I attempted to get the walls to fit that color.

I would actually like to edit out this off color sand and just use the walls. I think in changing the color map I didn't get the sand just right. I Figure with the current abode set it it would fit. It seems to look good with using the new desert cliffs to reface the old set. Even thou this isn't an eA priority. I could actually have this done in a short time.
I have this exact recolor of all the material needed.
If the re color is good then I'll just work on this in-between other things and get it done soon enough.
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Considering that tulimshar is the first thing a new player sees, improving it should always be a priority.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush I like your logic. It seems to be a shared feeling. Seems a lot of players also think this.
MerlinX420
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Or then all low-mid range content should be built around Hurnscald. That is where most of it is already anyway.
This message used to be meaningful.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

After a little bit of work I have finished the re-made tile-sets.
Due to the odd cliffs I had to add a version of the cliffs by Len and Arikel. This should provide a more versatile cliff tileset for the desert environment. The legacy building will have to be remapped as well as a few odd uses of the the arch doorway being used as wall ends.
All the preexisting desert has been replaced in all the tilesets.
I also replaced the box with the one from the adobe and replaced the other one with Ivan's barrel. I have play-tested these tiles and they make a big difference in the desert.
http://digitalmasterminds.net/wp-conten ... ake.tar.gz
MerlinX420
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Awesome! It will be good to put that with the next release, *look wombat*
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Yes, indeed, it looks very promising. In game screenshots showcasting the difference with the current tilesets would help a lot, too, I guess.

Great work! ;)

Best regards.