[WIP]casket monster

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

skipy
Knight
Knight

[WIP]casket monster

Post by skipy »

this is a new monster idea being worked on ...im not going to say much on how it works(spoiler)...
..so heres a look..

---------skipy
Attachments
monster-box-frames2.gif
monster-box-frames2.gif (9.97 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP]casket monster

Post by nmaligec »

Just a small suggestion about the colouring. Maybe have it a bit less cheerful/bright. Though maybe it needs to be bright so that it stands out? I dont know. Other than that its REALLY good!

Here is an example reclour (left) for comparison
Attachments
monster-recolor.png
monster-recolor.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

maybe? 4 eyes?

-----skipy
Attachments
monster-recolor.png
monster-recolor.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

here is more frames..and blue..ill play around a bit with color and maybe adding a gas cloud as it pops out ..
for now here it is..

skipy
Attachments
monster-box-frames3blue.gif
monster-box-frames3blue.gif (15.24 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

skipy wrote:here is more frames..and blue..ill play around a bit with color and maybe adding a gas cloud as it pops out ..
for now here it is..

skipy
Mirroring is not animation :twisted:
dragyourself.gif
dragyourself.gif (6.47 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
I'm sorry skipy but you also made the color worse by eliminating all the variation that was found within nmaligec's recoloring (which showed use of color theory).
Pixel Battalion
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Len wrote:
skipy wrote:here is more frames..and blue..ill play around a bit with color and maybe adding a gas cloud as it pops out ..
for now here it is..

skipy
Mirroring is not animation :twisted:
dragyourself.gif
I'm sorry skipy but you also made the color worse by eliminating all the variation that was found within nmaligec's recoloring (which showed use of color theory).
yeah :lol: ,color has never been a strong skill i have..."Mirroring is not animation :twisted:"--some times it is...( :lol: but not here)...i was only going to have 5 frames in all , but as i keep going on it i see it needs more to realy be some thing grate...thank you for the wire-frame it will be helpfull in doing the last frames.. :mrgreen:
ill post when i have more...

------------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

here is a re-working...
demo
-------skipy
Attachments
1monster-box-.gif
1monster-box-.gif (32.51 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

re recoloring: In gimp, I used the Hue-Saturation tool under Colours menu. I think maybe skipy used the Colourize tool, which seems to set the selection to only 1 tone. Hue-Saturation on the other hand, lets you make adjustments for 6 different colour components (click the letters beside the hue boexes to select). I don't know anything about color theory, I just played around with sliders until it looked right. Luckily the tentacles had different hue components than the rest of the body so changing say the magenta values, made it a different colour than the body.

re animation: The swipes look more vicious, its great! I would suggest that only its left hand swipes out while the right keeps hold of the lid. It would be like it grabs and holds its prey with 1 hand and attacks with its tentacles. Cutting out the right hand attack makes the overall animation happen quicker (which I think is critical).

I hope this makes it a bit more clear
currently: opens lid, moves forward (both hands out in front), left swipe, right swipe, move back and grab lid, close lid
proposed: open lid, left swipe, (maybe 1 frame of tentacle attack?), move back, close lid.

Edit:
Or just get it down to the # of frames from the previous animation, which had perfect timing. I know the xml can change the frame rates, but if some frames go by too fast, there is no point even displaying them.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

looks like Dr Zoidburg from Futurama
sexy red bearded GM
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i have the all frames done ....just needs to be put in to a sheet..

------skipy
Attachments
1monster-box-fsheet1.png
1monster-box-fsheet1.png (64.38 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

I love it, the concept and the art, great work.
like to see the finished animation run =]
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Gimp spritesheet file

Post by nmaligec »

skipy:

I got it in game and working the way you wanted it to, unfortunately you will have to wait for someone to set up a test server before you can see it in action.

In case you are going to make any changes, here is the .xcf file with everything spaced out properly.
Attachments
casket-monster.zip
(70.68 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

give me a sprites and i give you a xml :o
*likes stole monsters* :twisted:
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect