[REQ] Animated gate

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

[REQ] Animated gate

Post by nmaligec »

If I could get a rush on this one, Id like to start using as soon as I can.

What is needed: A spritesheet for closed gate that opens. See the pic below for what it looks like without the door there.
gate.png
gate.png (38.27 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
If it could open downwards. Possibly have it be 2 doors closed together and open down the middle, eath one swings out to either side. Go with whatever you think works best, though.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Animated Door

Post by nmaligec »

Also just noticed that an opening door would also be needed, the door frame is given below:
door.png
door.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
It was originally meant to be an archway, so I hope that abusing it as a door frame wont piss anyone off. Alternately if someone wants to make a whole new door (2-3 tiles wide with 1 tile door fram3 on either side, that would be even better. If its a double door or single, it doesnt matter, just as long as it swings out in a downward motion.

Here is an example of the 1 tile wide door, from the crypt tileset:
example.png
example.png (21.39 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
Also since Im already adding a reply, Ill give an example of the 2 tile wide gate. Remember the one I requested above would need to be 4 tiles wide AND have animated opening frames.
gate.png
gate.png (18.8 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Animated Door

Post by i »

nmaligec wrote:It was originally meant to be an archway, so I hope that abusing it as a door frame wont piss anyone off.
It's licensed under terms of GPL2, so there is no room for "pissing off". Additionally you got my authors permission for doing whatever you want with archway and block wall parts (a.k.a. crypt tileset).
skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [REQ] Animated gate

Post by skipy »

heres a start on the gate...

---------skipy
Attachments
gate.gif
gate.gif (42.51 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

skipy wrote:heres a start on the gate...
Good, but not enough good. I have to make sure that you understand basics of perspective used in TMW. So there is two things:
1. I suggest using total 5 frame animation
2. Try to preserve right perspective.
Cementary Gate-perspective-hints.png
Cementary Gate-perspective-hints.png (96.2 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Is there anything else I could possibly do to push this project a bit further?
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Nice catch i, something looked odd but I couldnt put my finger on it.

skipy, if it is possible maybe the last frame could have the door opened at a little less than 90 degrees. It looks a bit odd having it soooo straight. (I noticed that because the way its attached, it wouldn't logically be able to open farther than 90 degrees).

I am going to use the current gif you provided, since I am eager to see the animation on my local test server. I have the script working for opening the door, but I have used placeholders until now. When you get an updated spritesheet or a gif, Ill use that one.

One annoying mapping detail that I didn't realize until now. The players will be able to walk on the opened doors, since there is no way to set the walk-able property of a map tile using script commands. I prevented the players from walking past the closed door by warping them back. This would be too much trouble to do properly for the open door problem mentioned above.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

ill work on getting the gate work ......thanks "i" for the out-line...

here is the door...this also may need a look over :? :mrgreen: ...

----------skipy
Attachments
door-opening.png
door-opening.png (39.26 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

skipy wrote:ill work on getting the gate work ......thanks "i" for the out-line...

here is the door...this also may need a look over :? :mrgreen: ...

----------skipy
I don't know what think Irukard about this gate but just a little point, try to change the color of the gate ;) It don't fit a lot with this arch, or change the color of this arch... well, just my opinion ^^ For me, you did a good work ;)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Iron gate

Post by nmaligec »

I got the iron bar gate incorporated and with a slowed down and 'eased out' animation, it looks great! I wish you could see it in game (looks epic), too bad we don't have a test server up yet. There appears to be a small colour difference in the iron and the stone posts between those in the tileset and the animated gate. Just thought I'd mention it, but its not noticeable in the game itself.

I am eagerly awaiting the 2nd one. Is it is possible to make the 2nd door look more imposing? I want to use it for something climactic.

A perspective update on the gate would be nice, but once it is animating you barely notice any problems.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this one should work better...but still may need some going over....

---------skipy
Attachments
Cementary Gate.gif
Cementary Gate.gif (45.11 KiB) Viewed 3362 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this is close to done imo...

--------skipy
Attachments
Cementary Gate.gif
Cementary Gate.gif (83.94 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Crud, just found something out while testing, that was my fault. When the doors are partly closed, the players walk THROUGH them to get past! There is no convenient way to place collision tiles to prevent this. When the gate opened 90 degrees, I was able to put at least 1 collision tile in front so it didn't look so bad.

skipy, I hope it isn't too much trouble to add another 2 frames to the animation, and end with the gate open about as far as below? I am really sorry about making extra work, but I hope you will agree the end effect will be worth it.
Attachments
quick rendition of end frame, no proper scaling or perspective
quick rendition of end frame, no proper scaling or perspective
Cementary Gate.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

colision tiles can moove? (just a question)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Not on eA.
Not yet on Manaserv.
You will have to cheat a bit.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Crud, just found something out while testing, that was my fault. When the doors are partly closed, the players walk THROUGH them to get past! There is no convenient way to place collision tiles to prevent this. When the gate opened 90 degrees, I was able to put at least 1 collision tile in front so it didn't look so bad.

skipy, I hope it isn't too much trouble to add another 2 frames to the animation, and end with the gate open about as far as below? I am really sorry about making extra work, but I hope you will agree the end effect will be worth it.
i foreseen the need for 2 more frames ..no big deal :mrgreen: ...i should have the gate and door done soon ...i had some last min stuff pop up in the "R.W." so i have not had much time this week:roll: ...but now im back on it :wink:....

-------skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido