[WIP] Desert Cliffs Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [WIP] Desert Cliffs Tileset

Post by Matt »

Jetryl wrote:
Crush wrote:Those cliffs look very similar to those from the woodland tileset.
I've been asked to confirm that they're not a ripoff, and no, they do appear to look uniquely drawn.
I've got nothing to say but since I quoted every one of Jetryls 1-2 posts in the last years I am doing it with this one too.

But the new cliffs look much more "real"/better than the old woodland ones, altough it still looks very tiled.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The older version of the cliffs is better.

In the newer one, the rocks look more drawn-on, and the diagonal cliffs are just plain strange. Very much like the forward-facing cliffs have just been compressed horizontally.
Stone
Newly Registered User

Post by Stone »

poison_ivy wrote:I wanted to do it myself but i sucks too much to do it, as everybody saw i wansn't able to do a simple halloween even in 6 MONTHS! since i didn't do it, i don't like it.
yes poison_ivy :lol: everybody already knows this.

I personally like this new tileset and i rather like to see them in game, at least someone works on new content here.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

So, if i get that right, they look very similar to the woodland tiles (which look good i believe, or am i wrong there?), yet they look plain strange? We want consistency, yet it would be redundant? I'm a bit lost here.
I struggled with the top of those cliffs, but i'm aware it doesn't look good (no need to tell me, unless you can show me better). I'm not happy about it, and anyway i plan a redo with some other, better tiles that another pixel guy nicely sent me.
Attachments
ariDesertMapTest.png
ariDesertMapTest.png (255.18 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I personally don't see where this new tileset isn't improving the old one?

simply asked: Do you prefer this one or the old one?
Do you think this is an overall improvement?

Best regards.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I like the new ones much better great job :) I would only change that one rock that looks like [] going up every few tiles on the front facing view :/
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

The cliffs IMHO are very nice and improved, I think you just need to give a little more contrast to one of the elements the sand or the cliffs they are sharing the same palette and that makes them look a bit flat, test a few more colors, may be add some blue-ish variations on the sand (preffered) or red/yellow-ish on the cliffs.

Also the light seems to reflect more on the frontal tiles (which is good) but it should be the same or a bit more on the left side (light source) if you can add some ligth to the left side it would be nice.

Nice work.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

@Bertram : I believe this last one i made is really better than the previous one, but it's hard to judge one's own work. From the various comments that have been made about it here, i can't even tell now if it's any good or not... I know my work is not good enough to get into official content, but i'll keep working, and i feel i'm improving slowly, i'm just wondering how far i am from the minimal quality bar.

@meway : Can you point at the one you're talking about? (a little red circle will do) I'm not happy with these top stones and most will be redone.

@AxlTrozz : Thanks. I see what you mean, i'll try various colors and sand tiles to start with, i plan to keep this palette for the cliffs for now. I'll also work on the lighting.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

imo ----why not use both tile-sets ....in some games different/smiler looking cliffs are used to show different parts of the world..may be one is up high and the other down low...

any way i like what you have done so far..

just some thing to think on------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I agree with AxlTrozz
I would like to see more contrast (in every sense of the word).
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Make no mistake, I like what I am seeing too.

Taking this the next step further will be to add decals and variation tiles so not all cliff faces are straight cut walls: 3d shape, organic shapes.

Potential inspiration for possible shapes:
http://www.google.com/images?q=cliff%20face
This message used to be meaningful.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

I'll keep working on that. It might take a while before the next update though. Meanwhile, any palette suggestion is very welcome.
IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

We worked on some new texture for this set:
examples

A (almost) full set with texture #3 (WIP)

result:

We need some alternate tiles.
We will adapt color palette of cliffs and desert. (desert tiles are still far from done)
Once desert tiles are done, we will work on the transition cliffs-desert (top & lower part)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The texture #3 is quite good, imo.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.