bot check

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: bot check

Post by Len »

If someone walks away and your unsure if they got the message, why not do the foolproof thing and send them to the botcheck map (that would end any argument as to if they got the message)?
the player to botcheck thats why we stop the warps and start botcheck them in the same map we find them. And even those we warp and stop if they don't talk they get banned anyway.
If your demanding an actual response even if they are in the same map, then why on earth did you stop sending them to the botcheck map in the first place?
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ebattleon wrote:First off why are "bot's " legal in the first place?
What would you suggest? To ban everyone who is not playing with the default client, maybe even enforced with an anti-cheat-tool (which don't work, by the way, but that's another topic)?

TMW is an open source project. Experimenting with the software is not just allowed, it is encouraged. Everyone should be free to experiment with the client and be allowed to add features they consider useful. That's how you got the Mana Plus client.

Software isn't good or evil. Software is a tool. You can use it for good or evil, but that's not the softwares fault. That's why we ban botting behavior, not botting software.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

radiant wrote:Screen resolution doesn't even help beyond a certain point, because the server won't tell you about objects that are more than 448 pixels away at all.
Then any screen resolution above 900x900 is useless unless for personal satisfaction. More, generally GM stand close to controlled characters.
Platyna wrote:2. No bots (and by botting I mean ANY AFK activity in game).
The appreciation of AFK activity is left to GM's wisdom. At the moment, this is good thing. Fleeing away while not answering can be interpreted as an automated afk activity and thus be punished (may be with different ban time duration as with spamming or wrong language).

(I'd like to see a prison in this game, where afk botters must have to do on keyboard activity such as answering to a long quizz. :mrgreen: )
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

dayve wrote:
prsm wrote:You have played this game more than most, and since day one if a GM says hello a response was expected.
I said hi many times and you insult me by replying that botting software will respond automatically, and then ask for question anyway. i have ask you to skip insult and just ask for a reply.
you do realize this forum is on running away from a Gm, your totally off topic ....

But for the record, i treat everyone equally Dayve, i say "Hi" and ask a question. I am sorry you find this insulting, but I will not change my motive of operation, because it is fair.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Narus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Narus »

@DarkWater:
You just said that GMs are all 99 :shock: If you actually played you would know I am 96 I love to chat more than kill., and about custom clients hell yeah I use one but guess what:
Crush wrote:TMW is an open source project. Experimenting with the software is not just allowed, it is encouraged. Everyone should be free to experiment with the client and be allowed to add features they consider useful. That's how you got the Mana Plus client.

Software isn't good or evil. Software is a tool. You can use it for good or evil, but that's not the softwares fault. That's why we ban botting behavior, not botting software.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Hi all. I'm still pretty new around here so I'm not sure on a few things.
To Start off, I don't use bots at the moment. I do plan on using them in the future, though. I guess, firstly, I'd like to know what ban actually means. Is it account deletion? If so the penalty doesn't seem to fit the crime. It would be kind of like receiving the death penalty for stealing groceries. I'm sure you might be able to think of a few scenarios where a guilty verdict could be incorrect. Ever walk out of a store with an item in your hand that you forgot to pay for? OK, so enough with the groceries. I have in the past nodded off half way to dreamland while playing the game. Reid's Inn can be a bit droning when you're trying to level up. I can't help but think that I could have been banned (Character Deletion) if I had been using automation. It seems that tolerance is a hard thing to come by, even in The Mana World, if this is the case.
There are other scenarios that I am curious about too. Let's say I have no automation at all and am in Reid's Inn. Let's also say that I'm using a "Tank" with a low Attack value. I Attack a Red (Drunken Skeleton) and go to the washroom. The character is not moving, but is attacking. Could it not take more than 2 minutes to kill a Red? Is this considered Automation? What if I don't want to use a chat window and miss the overhead text?, which was already mentioned. What if my daughter falls down the stairs and I jump up in terror and totally forget about the game still running in automation? What if it where another emergency? Could you not use a kick function and have an autoban after so many kicks, regardless of what the kick was for. There is so much talk and moderation of botting. It reminds me of police handing out speeding tickets to people on their way to work, when you know they are needed far more as patrol of the higher crime areas. I have seen player and party names that would insult the worst of us and these types of penalties are not handed out to them. I have seen cursing and inappropriate text, repeatedly, around Gm's with no repercussions. I have seen begging, and harassing behavior with nothing more than a warning. Now, I'm not saying you the game has a bad bunch of GMs, just that the focus seems to be in the wrong place. There are young folk that play this game as well. To me afk automation is a petty crime anyway, though it would have to be dealt with in some form or matter as It would become an epidemic if it did go totally unchecked.
One more thing... Terms like "BanHammer" send up red flags and visions or trigger happy hunters. I have read that the original contributors of the game are not very fond of that style of moderating. Even the moderators are moderated. Just something to ponder.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ledmitz wrote:firstly, I'd like to know what ban actually means. Is it account deletion?
A ban means that your account keeps existing, but you can't login with it anymore.

First time offenders have the right to ask for a "reset". This means that the account is unbanned and the level is reset to 1.
Ever walk out of a store with an item in your hand that you forgot to pay for?
That metaphor is ridiculous. Installing and running a bot is something you hardly do subconsciously.
though it would have to be dealt with in some form or matter as It would become an epidemic if it did go totally unchecked.
Botting used to be an epidemic until we appointed a bunch of GMs to fight it.
I have read that the original contributors of the game are not very fond of that style of moderating.
The rules the game masters follow are made by the developers, so I wonder who spreads such nonsensical rumors.
Even the moderators are moderated.
Checks and balances.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Thanks Crush, well said

My usage of the word "ban hammer" was meant in levity, those that know me know i like Shovel whacking better.
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

Big Crunch wrote: You have no friends here anymore, barring Dayve. You are a TOTAL unknown, with the exception of the people that frequent the forums who think you are a troll and nutjob. Most of the people that say they know you have you confused with Dark Wind for god's sake.BC
Nice try, Every time i log DW in for more than 15 minutes i get at least one welcome back or whispers asking what she has been doing. Even from within your group, those that i will answer, some send hugs to her. You seem to be confused as there is no dark wind in this game.
Narus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Narus »

dayve wrote:
Big Crunch wrote: You have no friends here anymore, barring Dayve. You are a TOTAL unknown, with the exception of the people that frequent the forums who think you are a troll and nutjob. Most of the people that say they know you have you confused with Dark Wind for god's sake.BC
Nice try, Every time i log DW in for more than 15 minutes i get at least one welcome back or whispers asking what she has been doing. Even from within your group, those that i will answer, some send hugs to her. You seem to be confused as there is no dark wind in this game.
DarkWind is Monique friend it seems you forgot her weird since she is a really old player here she is in a cute ss i have.
Attachments
theresheis.png
theresheis.png (164.06 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

This forum was suppose to be about players running from a bot check, it got hijacked. the intent was not these other issues so i am locking it up!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I am one of original game team, and rules I have set were already fully discussed and are commonly accepted, by those who are supposed to enforce them. Any other thing you heard is not truth. No one of the GHP is challenging these rules.

Crush, one comment, I don't think that modding the client to gain advantage due to its coding, such as AFK activity is OSS spirit, in fact I think it is not and should be punished according to the rules that clearly says - ANY AFK activity in game is forbidden.

About the botcheck - please send people who are not answering and running away to botcheck place where they can't run away, it is something that no one sitting in front of the computer can't miss, if they still do not answer - ban them.

And yes, I agree the game should be played with honour, the rules are set to get rid of cheaters and other annoying people, otherwise the game would be no fun for decent people and would turn in Tibia or something like that. We don't want earn money on this game, we want to have fun, not struggle with jerks.

Anyway place for important announcements is in one of heavily moderated sections, and we shouldn't allow those threads to go wild - it is especially not healthy for the community itself.

Regards.