GM banning for spamming.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Ban for spamming

I like the proposal
85%
I do not like the proposal
15%

Total votes: 27
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

GM banning for spamming.

Post by DarkWater »

Looking at the gm logs, it becomes very clear that spamming has gotten out of control.

I read line of after line of cappy and tiana asking for them to stop.

This is got to stop people. It has got to stop. Period.

So, a poll is in order.

Proposal.

You get one warning. "Stop spamming now!"
Second warning, is a long walk from somewhere. "You where warned, no spamming!"
Third warning, is a day ban. "Ok you need time to think."
If during the next month, the spammer tries again, 7 day ban. "Ok you need more time."
If during the next month after first 7 day ban, the spammer tries again, 7 more days.
Rise repeat.

Of course, I would encourage any spammer to take screen shoots. Violations would be posted on the court room. As the gm will.

I think this will give alot of people time to think about spamming and make the gm's life a little easier.

But this has to stop. It is causing a tumor in some peoples brains.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: GM banning for spamming.

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We could make the autoban tighter.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

jaxad0127 wrote:We could make the autoban tighter.
we have to do something. The current gms are against the ropes here. We have to back it up.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

I totally agree with this. I'm seeing a lot of GM effort on this and with only two two GMs the time spent does not cover the problem. Even with the help given by Sugar and other, it is just to much.
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

Lets skip the crap about long walks on the beach and get straight to the banning.

I'm really quite exceited to see the outcome of this poll, as spamming is one of those issues we GM's often get bitched to about "but i wasnt spamming, i was trying to sell my stuff!" sheesh, if i had a 100gp for every time i'd heard that, i'd be a rich man!

My vote is for 1 warning, then 1 day ban.

Cappy =)
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

CapitanAwesome wrote:Lets skip the crap about long walks on the beach and get straight to the banning.

I'm really quite exceited to see the outcome of this poll, as spamming is one of those issues we GM's often get bitched to about "but i wasnt spamming, i was trying to sell my stuff!" sheesh, if i had a 100gp for every time i'd heard that, i'd be a rich man!

Cappy =)
You remove pain by ounces.

You also inflect pain by ounces.

We can look at the gm logs. If there is no reduction in spamming, Then we will increase the pain, by ounces. We also need to enforce the laws consistently.

Which means we are all going to need to help, to make this better.

There is no way 2 gms can do it by themselves.

Increase slowly, until we see results.

Then decrease slowly until we find a threshold between pain and positive behavior.

Too quickly and we get revolts.
DarkLord
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkLord »

CapitanAwesome wrote:Lets skip the crap about long walks on the beach and get straight to the banning.

Cappy =)
Ahem! It has been brought to my attention by another player (he/she will remain anonymous unless they want to come forward) that CapitanAwesome spammed the announcements AND invisibility (if that is abusable maybe not...). Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out, nothing against Cappy.
Regards,
DarkLord

Occasionally playing TMW.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro, OS X Mavericks and Ubuntu 13.10
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

DarkLord wrote: Ahem! It has been brought to my attention by another player (he/she will remain anonymous unless they want to come forward) that CapitanAwesome spammed the announcements AND invisibility (if that is abusable maybe not...). Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out, nothing against Cappy.
Are you serious? :shock:
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

DarkLord wrote:
Ahem! It has been brought to my attention by another player (he/she will remain anonymous unless they want to come forward) that CapitanAwesome spammed the announcements AND invisibility (if that is abusable maybe not...). Anyway, I just thought I'd point that out, nothing against Cappy.
Can you point this out in the gm log. Looking at the log, I can not find this. There are a few from spawning events that may have seem excessive. But not knowing the specifics of the events, it is impossible to tell.

Now invisibility should be used, alot. We have to trust them not to use it for spying.

This does bring up a good point, WHAT IS SPAMMING?
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

DarkLord wrote:

Cappy =)
I thought you quit?
:idea: :idea: :idea:
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Lord of the Flies wrote:GMs already do ban for spamming I have seen it with my own eyes! So this proposal would be nothing more but a validation to an already common practise.

I am more inclined to see a real solution put into place to help combat spam. Such as adding a trade tab to the chat, as proposed by (I can't remember who) at Kage's meeting. Once that is implemented have a new rule added: No trading in public chat.

Most spam does come from people trading and lacking the manners to leave an appropriate interval between repeated messages.

I think this would dramatically cut back on spam in the main chat and be a far better solution in the long run instead of promoting more use of the ban feature with certain GMs that already have itchy trigger fingers.
+10
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Lord of the Flies wrote:Such as adding a trade tab to the chat, as proposed by (I can't remember who) at Kage's meeting. Once that is implemented have a new rule added: No trading in public chat.
Feel free to implement more chat types under eAthena. You'll likely need to add new packets.
Gouki
Novice
Novice

Post by Gouki »

jaxad0127 wrote:We could make the autoban tighter.
1hours autoban, next time 24hours AUTOBAN. next time 1 Week. After repeating GMs should discuss about permanent ban.
Why yearn live knowing everything must die?

豪鬼VS真豪鬼
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

No. I vote cut the autobans all together, they suck and I hate the bastards.

Make some stocks in Hurnscald. Spam, get muted and locked in the stocks for ten minutes. Second offense, thirty minutes. Third, an hour. Fourth, twenty-four hours. Your spam count is reset every 24 hours (at midnight).

The GMs don't have to bother looking up how many times you've spammed; that's automatic. They just type @spamstocks . There could also be counters for other offenses. If the time spent in the stocks is used up only when you're logged in,

1st offense: 5 minutes
2nd offense: 15 minutes
3rd offense: 30 minutes
4th offense: 1 hour
5th offense: 2 hours

And every time is 2 hours for the rest of that day.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Post by confuciousnz »

Tighter auto-bans are definitely in order.
Is it possible to enforce different autoban "rules" for different maps, like Hurns town compared to the GY or any other wilderness map?
DarkLord wrote:

Cappy =)
Jesus DL, shut the Duck up and leave. Make your own topic if you want to Female dog, wolf, fox or otter like a little girl.