Ask about the game

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
PranaBR
Peon
Peon

Ask about the game

Post by PranaBR »

When the character in game die, what happens ?
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

You get respawned in the place you spawned the very first time.
There is no death penalty implemented yet, so nothing else happens.
(Well, your PLAYER_DEATH is increased by one :P )
PranaBR
Peon
Peon

Post by PranaBR »

oh its really good, i h8 game that have death penalty, when you die you learn more about the monster and area then dont have motive for lost something, there is motive for earn things when you die :roll:

and will be that are put death penalty ? admins and ppl of the rame i wanna know, i hiope that dont be added dealth penalty that is teible, and the playe lost the will to play, the most ppl stopped to play tibia because death penalty
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

Well, please use punctuation and try to express yourself better :?

The only reason we don't have a death penalty yet is because it
doesn't seem to work (eAthena is a strange thing :P)

Imo having NO death penalty is a bad thing. "Nothing to fear, so why not
running around carelessly until you die, and then, oh well just continue
from the spawning point." <-- no good !

Normally you shouldn't die ONCE, only if you miscalculate your own
strength/ run out of health potions and don't retreat/ face a very strong monster or too many at once...
That's what healing and armor is for.

There must be something that keeps you up. Something that motivates you.
And that is not a free respawn as often as you like. It's going into a dungeon,
having something at stake. And if you come out alive after defeating the boss
and finding lost treasures, you have proven yourself a hero :lol:
PranaBR
Peon
Peon

Post by PranaBR »

i think if go have death penalty, we should lost just money more nothing because wether lost experience or itens, the ppl go waste time playing to lost experience and itens, i played tibia its very bad, i lost itens and experience, then i said Duck up, i dont go play to lost experiencie, i played 2 hours i died a time and i had that play more 3 hours only to recover my lost experience and itens, death penalty is bad system, in maximum i agree lost money other things never, its boring lost things and you stress with the game and after a time you stopped
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

What about only loosing items and money.

As if you are separed from you body, the body lays there with ALL the stuff you where carring on...

Of course, you can run and get your stuff from your body as quick as you can...

Loosing experience...

But for this to work, we need 2 things. A bank to save most of the money out of the player and a safe box/deposit/house to storage equipment...

Both things, bank and a storage room are relatively easy to code.
May the Source be With You
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

Hey, your character D I E S....
That should really have some consequences.
I remember those days when the game was over when you died.
And nearly all RPGs won't respawn you. (Actually I don't remember
one that does.) It's a matter of loading the last save.
But MMORPGs can't do that as there is more than 1 person playing.

So they respawn you.
Lately some admins think it's a good idea to have servers with strange behaviour.
(no penalty, 10x exp, 500.000 GP for new players.....) Mostly free
servers and maybe those admins really need players.

Anyway, if you are reverted to your old save you loose all you
accomplished afterwards. So loosing some EXP is not so bad.

EDIT:
I don't think we have to discuss much about death penalty.
Afaik it has already been decided that there will be a small EXP
penalty. There is the corresponding line in eAthena but it doesn't
work...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i think when you die your character should be deleted. thats just realism. people will love it.
[/irony]

sorry, but what you are suggesting is just frustrating. do you know runescape*? it is a mmorpg with very hard death penalties, too. when you die you loose everything but 3 random items from your inventory. i played for days and bought a complete equip and made a lot of money. then i grinded a little bit, underasteimated an enemy, got distracted and died. i lost everything i worked for for days. that really frustrated me and i quit the game.

you always have to find a balance between realism and fun. and what you are suggesting, like loosing all your stuff including your ultra-rare weapon and legendary armor, just frustrates the player instead of motivating him. especially when you keep in mind that a death in an mmorpg is not always the fault of the player. you often die beacuse of other players (there needn't even be pvp on for this) or because of connection problems. loosing days of work because of some idiot who trained some monsters or because you had a disconnect in a critical situation is just plain mean.

i know, hard death penalties seem like a good and logical idea in theory, but in the real game everyone will just hate them.

*) if not and you feel bored, why not try it out? it's free and runs as a java applet in your browser. http://www.runescape.com the graphic is horrible but it has some good ideas for quests and player driven economy which could be an inspiration for us.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

well actually a penalty of some sort is good

or else you can just go somewhere and keep dying and lose nothing... say its a hard monster and you keep going and doin damage and dying... eventually you will kill it and have no penalty for dying lots in the attempt
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

when you die and respawn you usually respawn in the town. having to walk all the way back is penalty enough in my opinion.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

Crush wrote:
you always have to find a balance between realism and fun. and what you are suggesting, like loosing all your stuff including your ultra-rare weapon and legendary armor, just frustrates the player instead of motivating him. especially when you keep in mind that a death in an mmorpg is not always the fault of the player. you often die beacuse of other players (there needn't even be pvp on for this) or because of connection problems. loosing days of work because of some idiot who trained some monsters or because you had a disconnect in a critical situation is just plain mean.

The whay the server pretends to be developed, you cannot be able to die becose a misfortunated disconnection...

Death penality is a must, players must be carefully, if not, a dimension of the game, is away... For example, so far I think I have killed every monster of TMW, no furhter emotion, no rush becose I?ve bited by a snake... To die means... to nothig... just click on the girl to be healed 100%...

If there is no death penalty, other things about gameplayer are lost, for example, poisoning, sickness... there is no danger...

How to solve this? In other thread I was talking about relatiation of the game against bad tempered players... using a goodnes/pervertion stat...

The more "bad" you are, the more chance for not being helped by the goods...:)
May the Source be With You
Burger
Peon
Peon

Post by Burger »

You could do like they have done in Everquest 2, if you die then you get a exp debth and you don't loose exp or lvl when you die... just that it makes harder to get to the next lvl... and the exp debth decreases over time when you play (killing mobs or do anything else) or when you are offline.
_darkKnight_
Peon
Peon

Post by _darkKnight_ »

Lost experience is a bad ideia. Lost itens maybe a good idea.

Create something like SoM.

When you die you become a spirit and have to wait someone revive you. In the city you can put some NPC that can talk with spirit of dead people and he can revive you too, if nobody revive you, walk to the city and ask for NPC bring you back to life.

Souless person can be sent to hell when die. To escape from hell you have to find some portal linked to live people world.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

in SoM it only works when you are in a group/party .. if you are alone .. you die and everything you have done since last saving gets lost

but thats no way a mmorpg should be ..

it should be like that:
you die and lie on the ground until someone comes and gives you "water of life" or he casts a spell ..
if noone comes you can wait .. lets say maximum of 15 minutes .. then you get released in the city and loose exp.
while you are waiting you can release yourself at anytime (sure you loose exp then too).
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

maci wrote:it should be like that:
you die and lie on the ground until someone comes and gives you "water of life" or he casts a spell ..
if noone comes you can wait .. lets say maximum of 15 minutes .. then you get released in the city and loose exp.
while you are waiting you can release yourself at anytime (sure you loose exp then too).
This is similar to Saga of Ryzom where you could get back to life when you were fully healed again (by anybody but most likely teammates), but this had to happen within a certain amount of time or you'd respawn in town and get an XP penalty.

Well I liked that solution, as it also encourages to play in teams.