Please stop kicking this thread

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Please stop kicking this thread

Post by Cotillion »

Edit 3/30 - Subject Changed... was "Please stop kicking the dead"

Let it die people.
Last edited by Cotillion on 30 Mar 2010, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Please stop kicking the dead

Post by DarkWater »

Think this is a conversation that needs to happen.

The more people that are in town the more people lag.

You can get some really bad lag in town with a large group of people.

Since the spawn point is in town, it is a required area.

So, is your right to be in town afking more important then people playing the game?

We have some pretty weak pc's and slow internet connection, and even with the best connections and pc you do lag with alot of people. On a netbook, I can not sit in town and type if there is too many.

When you are dead, it is clear that you are not in and out. It shows that are away from the keyboard for a long period of time.

Now the rules do say,
platyna wrote:No bots (and by botting I mean ANY AFK activity in game).
Sitting or laying in game is an activity, and by the rules, is against the rules.

So we are down to the simple fact. The game lags badly when there is a large amount of people in one spot.

You are not playing the game but botting, and she means ANY afk activity in game.

So is your sitting in town, more important then people playing the game?

That is the question.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Being dead or simply sitting in town is not considered an "activity". Therefore, being afk is not against the rules.

(Activities are: doing magic, walking, trading, talking, killing monsters, picking up items...)

Actually, dead characters of players who are afk don't cause any more lag than the ones sitting in town. We don't kick the latter. So, in my opinion (and in Bjørn's ;) :P ) then there is no need to kick them if they are dead.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Katze wrote:Being dead or simply sitting in town is not considered an "activity". Therefore, being afk is not against the rules.

(Activities are: doing magic, walking, trading, talking, killing monsters, picking up items...)

Actually, dead characters of players who are afk don't cause any more lag than the ones sitting in town. We don't kick the latter. So, in my opinion (and in Bjørn's ;) :P ) then there is no need to kick them if they are dead.
If anything, they take less packets than players sitting in town.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

So there the answer, a player sitting in the game afk is more important then people that play the game.

So no kicking them. Got the message.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

DarkWater wrote:So there the answer, a player sitting in the game afk is more important then people that play the game.

On the contrary, people playing the game is more important. Dead afk guy is a number that makes the server appear populated.

The REAL issue is a gameplay issue: players consider the soul menhir as a "spawn point" and less a "death point". Lets motivate the players to NOT DIE, then Hurnscald can be left to the squatters and lessen their interaction with players.

Not trying to harass you, DarkWater ;)
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

DarkWater wrote:So there the answer, a player sitting in the game afk is more important then people that play the game.

It is not about who is more important.
kicking someone just because he is sitting there or laying (aka dead) is not ok. I have to hurry away from the pc a few times a day and then just sit there in Hurnscald for an hour or two while doing some stuff in RL. So what? Everyone has a real life and if you have to hurry in RL you have to.

Sitting or laying is no activity or did you ever find yourself thinking or saying this: "Wow today I wanna be active, I think I will sit on the kitchentable a bit!" Come on!
What game would this game be if you wouldn't be allowed to sit down anymore?
This is also a little community, conversation and just being together is a part of this, too.

about lag:
My PC is 5 years old, nearly 6 and has hardware that was not the best 5-6 years ago. And I experience nearly no lag. Only snake pit and if e.g. 50 players are running around where I am at the same time. (which rarely happens)
So it is just a matter of how you deal with your pcs ressources. don't have 20 other programmes running at the same time and everything should be ok.

cu ingame
Leela
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Leela wrote: My PC is 5 years old, nearly 6 and has hardware that was not the best 5-6 years ago. And I experience nearly no lag.
Leela
LOL, ok moving on.

We get the point, if a person wants to play this game it is who logs in and sits first.

We get the point logging in is soooooo hard. The one part question, the clicking....

Ok you guys made your point.

the afk player is more important then the playing player.

We got it.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

thedarkfinder wrote:
Leela wrote: My PC is 5 years old, nearly 6 and has hardware that was not the best 5-6 years ago. And I experience nearly no lag.
Leela
LOL, ok moving on.

We get the point, if a person wants to play this game it is who logs in and sits first.

We get the point logging in is soooooo hard. The one part question, the clicking....

Ok you guys made your point.

the afk player is more important then the playing player.

We got it.
Let them have it. Just let them have it.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Why are we talking about sitting afk players now? the topic was about dead characters. So...if being afk is not against the rules, being dead is even less against the rules because it causes less lag than sitting around.

It's about whether or not to kick the DEAD - not about whether or not we should kick the afk sitting players.

and if people find afk players so disturbing, the clients should simply be made to shut down after some time...or to kick afk people...but it would really bad for GMs...x) I actually "afk" quite often. And if I can't sit there being afk, I'll probably miss some important stuff. :roll:
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Sorry, but I do want to steer the ship in both directions.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone care about being kicked if they've been afk for hours anyway? I can imagine if they were crafting or something, but that isn't the case. Do you really want to come back and read the hours of missed conversation? Does your avatar get lonely when it is shut off? Or is the time to log in that unbearable?
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

@katze: i was talking about sitting because DarkWater said sitting and being dead is an activity. could also have written laying/being dead.

What I understand much less here is the stuff about who is more important. Not kicking dead players (afk players) has nothing to do with importance. Being dead is not against the rules so why kicking? Even if someone is laying there for hours it still is nothing about who is more important. As I said, sometimes you just jump off your pc without caring what your computer does. Then you come back and find yourself kicked? And the first thing you think is something like "huh? what did i do?"
Didn't happen to me but I totally understand the reason this thread has been opened.
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

FOR PITY'S SAKE JUST LOG BACK IN AGAIN
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Leela wrote:@katze: i was talking about sitting because DarkWater said sitting and being dead is an activity. could also have written laying/being dead.
That was directed towards DarkWater and thedarkfinder.
John P wrote:Sorry, but I do want to steer the ship in both directions.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone care about being kicked if they've been afk for hours anyway? I can imagine if they were crafting or something, but that isn't the case. Do you really want to come back and read the hours of missed conversation? Does your avatar get lonely when it is shut off? Or is the time to log in that unbearable?
If I were a normal player, I would not mind. But I do mind because I am a GM and if I am logged in I normally do want to "do my job" even if I am doing something else at the same time...
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Katze wrote: That was directed towards DarkWater and thedarkfinder.
As a gm you do understand when to drop it, right?

When you say, oh they are being responsible and walking away, I will let them drop and not invoke their name again to stir the fight right?

You understand that you are trying to drag us back into this fight, and this is trying to provoke another fight?

Why would you do this?

Do you want this fight?

Do you not understand that you do not take a parting "insert commit here" when a party leaves?

Lag gets really bad in this game, we suggested a away to reduce lag, it was clear that people sitting/dead are more important then people trying to play this game.

And we will let that be.